Sunscreen For Dogs

HazyWal

My mostly white greyhound is a sun worshipper.Loves laying in the sun no matter how hot it is.She is quite bald around her belly,inside legs,butt and her ears.When I first got her last summer I went and got her some doggy sunscreen but the one I bought(vetbasix SPF 15)is so thick that it's almost impossible to spread.It ends up in blobs and does not have good coverage.Her ears,belly and butt are covered in freckles and I'm worried about skin cancers.Does anyone use or know of a doggy sunscreen that is easier to rub in?

I use Filta-Bac, a little bit goes a long way and it stays on for quite awhile. :)

Just googled this, it looks like what I might need for Millie's nose! It seems its primary function is not a sunscreen (or I could be interpreting it wrong), but do you find it still works great as a sunscreen? Millie's nose has lost all pigment and it is often cracked and sometimes the cracks bleed. It also has a fungal type smell sometimes. And yes, I've seen a vet about it, twice, one including a biopsy, and they can give me no answers except to apply sunscreen to prevent skin cancer. frown.gif

Edit: any idea if it can be bought at Better Pets or City Farmers? Or only online? Thanks :)

Edited by RubyStar

I use Filta-Bac, a little bit goes a long way and it stays on for quite awhile. :)

Is it a thin cream easy to apply.The stuff I use now is so thick it's hard enough to get out of the tube let alone rub in to her thin skin.

Ruby - it works very well as a sunscreen. Moose has a big bald patch on his back (burn scar) so I put Filta-Bac on everyday in summer and he's never gotten burnt. Sounds like the other uses for Filta-Bac might be good for her nose. :) I bought mine online but I have seen it at BP&G.

stans mum - yep, quite a light cream that dries to a sort of film really quickly. I use a tic tac size amount to cover about a slighter larger than 50c piece size area.

ruby star that filtabac i have used you can find them in most pet stores in my area so im sure you will find it

for the nose though, i find my boy licks it straight off, its so thin not very thick, im looking for something thicker for his nose now :shrug:

I use one on Sonny & Stella's nose as they at the beach lots & it is made by Doggles & I got it online at Waggle.com.au

It is rather expensive though but works really well & is a thick liquid. I have also used toddler sunscreen as their breeder

said that it was also fine to use with pleasing results. :)

I have used human zinc on raz's nose (the vet said should be ok) and havent had any issues and have used infant zinc (thats too thin and runny) and the filtabac, the best i found was the human white zinc, seemed the thickest (still wont stay on long with raz's tongue). i might check out you doggles one thanx bc crazy

Please give us a review when you've tried it stans mum, I'd be interested to know how it goes on. :)

One of the other things I really like about Filta-Bac is how it dries so I don't end up with white smears on everything. :laugh: Not so much an issue if you have an outside dog though.

I have used human zinc on raz's nose (the vet said should be ok) and havent had any issues and have used infant zinc (thats too thin and runny) and the filtabac, the best i found was the human white zinc, seemed the thickest (still wont stay on long with raz's tongue). i might check out you doggles one thanx bc crazy

My 2 are the laughing stock down the beach cause I put the blue zinc on Sonny's nose & the pink one on Miss Stella's on occasion just for a bit of fun :laugh:

Stella always licks hers off too dandybrush.

Please give us a review when you've tried it stans mum, I'd be interested to know how it goes on. :)

One of the other things I really like about Filta-Bac is how it dries so I don't end up with white smears on everything. :laugh: Not so much an issue if you have an outside dog though.

The one I use now leaves smears all over the floorboards in the house,I seem to end up with more on the floorboards than on the dog!My back door is always open so they are free to come and go all day.I think I'll buy both and see how I go,will definately give a review. :)