Flying A Dog To Shanghai , China. Need Info!

Hi LMS,

I've just read that Rover is going os to be with your mum and dad. I'm sure Riddick will miss him (and I'm sure all Rover's doggy friends will too).

All the best and say hi to your mum from Rosie, Rocky and me. Have a great time in China and I'm sure it will all work out.

Adnil.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it's a big place, but what happenned to those Rio Tinto execs and a few other Australian business people who seem to have gotten on the wrong side of the wrong people - freaks me out. How do you know who to trust with what when that happens?

For goodness sake she's going over there to visit her parents and take their dog over to them, not to become a business exec involved in corrupt activities. Go and start a thread in OT if you want to talk about how much China freaks you out - it's got nothing to do with this thread.

Lilli has great advice, I'd be exploring it all thoroughly and go from there. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it all Jen, it must be hard when you hear scary stories about dogs over there. (and pet dogs at that).

Be sensible, do all the right things and I'm sure all will go well.

see

http://scaashanghai....procedure.shtml

The site is a rescue organisation and seems mostly to be run by, and work with, ex-pats from the US, Europe, and Australia. They sound like real animal lovers with a lot of experience . . . it might be good to have your folks talk with them.

Given the way bureaucracy works in China, it may be worth working with a China-based company, especially, as described above, the dog can travel as excess baggage . . . meaning you will be on the same plane and be able to keep an eye on things. Looks like it's not especially onerous.

I looked them up and found this in FAQ. Might be worth shooting these guys an email, LMSW. There's also details for a vet over there for once Rover is in Shanghai so I'll include that as well but your parents have probably already sussed that out

4. I am bringing in (or taking out my pet from) to Shanghai. Moving companies seem to be very expensive. Can I do this on my own instead?

You can do this on your own, but we don’t recommend it. There is paperwork, bureaucracy and connections on both ends of a move that most individuals do not know how to make work smoothly. A mistake, or creating a disgruntled customs official, can result in your pet sitting extra days in unknown surroundings (and you possibly not being allowed to see the animal). We always advise using a professional pet moving company that is well experienced and well connected at all levels on how to make a move for your pet as painless as possible.

For more information on bringing your pet to China or advice on proffesional services please contact: [email protected]

5. You often advise using PAW animal clinic, but they seem expensive compared to some of the local vets. Can you recommend other clinics?

Quite literally, you usually get what you pay for in terms of veterinary care here in Shanghai. We simply find that PAW offers the best veterinary care, meeting strict western standards for diagnosis and medicine use. Many of the other veterinary clinics are not very good and we have heard many horror stories. If anyone has a veterinary clinic they would like to recommend, we would be glad to post this information on our website, but to date only PAW has met our standards to recommend to our members and to the general public. We also have very generous sponsorship from PAW, which offers initial check-ups for SCAA-sponsored animals for RMB 100 plus medical costs.

PAW Contact Information:

No. 15, 722 Xin Hua Lu, Shanghai

PAW Phone: 5254-0611

After Hours Emergency: 13816685486

Thought dogs were allowed to come directly into Aust but had to stay extra...

No, direct importation from China is not permitted. As stated before the dog must go to an AQIS approved country (ie Hong Kong) and stay there for 6 months and complete its necessary prep work before being imported into Australia.

i know this is a totally different country

my friends in dubai. their dogs left the same day as their

mum but arrived at a different time (they were checked and watered and fed half way etc)

when they landed the transport ppl picked the dogs up and dropped them off

at their doorstep

i would think that something similar would be available in China - especially shanghai

good luck with the plans

i found this. Some of it sounds scary, but probably informative

http://www.entershanghai.info/expat-lifestyle/living-pets.php

Edited by Bartok

The smart thing would be to contact a shipping agent like Jet Pets or Dogtaines as they are professionals in this field. Everything else is just hearsay or guessing.

No it's not hearsay and it's not guessing :)

Jet Pets, Dogtainers and their Oz staff

don't know and do not have the access

of a local agent.

China is one of the countries where the Australian way is a hindrance not a help.

Go local, stick with the can-do know how :thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

Most Asian countries dont eat dogs, only in small areas and its quite over-rated about that topic, but there are small areas that do eat dogs etc...

Yeah and even then they don't eat pet dogs so it was a silly comment to make.

As surprising as it is people in Asia who eat dogs can also own them as pets and manage to differentiate between the 2. Crazy, I know! It's like they're like, normal human beings or something!

And that is it in a nutshell. They distinguish between food and pets and it is only peopel who are practising the 'old ways' that are still eating them. Granted, China still has a lot practising the old ways but this is changing at a rate of knots. The China today is not the same as the China of 10 years ago even. SHanghai , in particular, is becoming very, very westernised. I was dumbstruck by how westernised it is.

All of the dogs I saw in China looked incredibly well cared for. Most were wearing little outfits, snazzy collars and the like and were all on lead or being carried and cuddled.

Edited by ~Anne~

The smart thing would be to contact a shipping agent like Jet Pets or Dogtaines as they are professionals in this field. Everything else is just hearsay or guessing.

of a local agent.

China is one of the countries where the Australian way is a hindrance not a help.

Yes they do. JetPets have an affiliate agency in China that they deal with for dogs travelling into China. I have dealt with JetPets a lot and they deal with their Chinese contacts a lot. It's easier and safer to get a company like JetPets to arrange the travel from here.

Thanks everyone for all the info! Its really helpful and I'm passing it all along to my parents as we try to sort this situation out! :)

Air China will fly you direct from Sydney to Shanghai.

They will allow pets to fly as checked baggage.

(ie: your dog will travel as freight in the cargo hold but you pay the excess baggage fee.)

http://www.airchina.com.au/en/customerservice/FAQ/baggage.html

If you were going to use a transport company, I'd use one based in China.

http://scaashanghai.org/china_pet_import_procedure.shtml

They will know all the know-how, loop holes and realities that an Australian company (or AQIS) just wont know.

Australian transport companies, are good for common destinations /situations

but anything off the beaten track, you are better off arranging it yourself -

or through a company based in the place you need to get to/from.

This is not a swipe at Australian Pet transport companies,

its a fact that can be applied to all service industries and their predominant sectors.

I have had a look on the Air China website and it seems they only fly direct to Beijing? You are the second person to say they fly direct to shanghai so hopefully I am missing something! Do you know this for sure?

The only flight we have found that goes direct to china is through Qantas, and their flight arrives late at night so there is the added worry of all the quarantine staff in China will have gone home by then! Apparently you can "convince" them to stay with extra money, but to idea how to go about that.

When I spoke to Dogtainer, whilst being very helpful about everything they have said that the second the plane hits Chinese soil its no longer their responsibility and they basically have nothing to do with it on that end. They can however contact a local agent and then you work togethor from there. Im not sure if that would be better than using a company based in China? (worried that they will be dodgy on this end!)

I looked them up and found this in FAQ. Might be worth shooting these guys an email, LMSW. There's also details for a vet over there for once Rover is in Shanghai so I'll include that as well but your parents have probably already sussed that out

4. I am bringing in (or taking out my pet from) to Shanghai. Moving companies seem to be very expensive. Can I do this on my own instead?

You can do this on your own, but we don’t recommend it. There is paperwork, bureaucracy and connections on both ends of a move that most individuals do not know how to make work smoothly. A mistake, or creating a disgruntled customs official, can result in your pet sitting extra days in unknown surroundings (and you possibly not being allowed to see the animal). We always advise using a professional pet moving company that is well experienced and well connected at all levels on how to make a move for your pet as painless as possible.

For more information on bringing your pet to China or advice on proffesional services please contact: [email protected]

5. You often advise using PAW animal clinic, but they seem expensive compared to some of the local vets. Can you recommend other clinics?

Quite literally, you usually get what you pay for in terms of veterinary care here in Shanghai. We simply find that PAW offers the best veterinary care, meeting strict western standards for diagnosis and medicine use. Many of the other veterinary clinics are not very good and we have heard many horror stories. If anyone has a veterinary clinic they would like to recommend, we would be glad to post this information on our website, but to date only PAW has met our standards to recommend to our members and to the general public. We also have very generous sponsorship from PAW, which offers initial check-ups for SCAA-sponsored animals for RMB 100 plus medical costs.

PAW Contact Information:

No. 15, 722 Xin Hua Lu, Shanghai

PAW Phone: 5254-0611

After Hours Emergency: 13816685486

I will send these details across to mum!

Here's another pet relocation company I saw recommended a few times on a shanghai expat forum

http://www.jialiang.com/english/Trading.asp

Awesome thanks, there is a lot of these companies it seems, the problem is finding one that is professional on both ends! Currently making a list.

of a local agent.

Im finding this to be true, the australian transport companies dont have any sort of control once the dog actually gets to china, so whilst they may be fantastic on this end, I'm a lot more worried about what will happen on that end. :(

of a local agent.

Yes they do. JetPets have an affiliate agency in China that they deal with for dogs travelling into China. I have dealt with JetPets a lot and they deal with their Chinese contacts a lot. It's easier and safer to get a company like JetPets to arrange the travel from here.

Do you have a actual contact you could name for me so that I can speak to them directly?

of a local agent.

Its not the same as the local person.

Dogtainers, JetPets cant do here what local agents can do.

from paperwork to what is approved and what is not, to time frames the list goes on and on.

I've taken dogs into a few 'not so usual' countries and Australian companies just dont know the nuances.

You cannot tell me another way.

The Australian culture is not honed to can-do practical know how. As I said sometimes being Australian is a hindrance to getting things done. You got to think outside the square in some places. Which means forget the Australian mindset.

Of course you can go with the Australian companies

but you will get a better outcome through the locals.

And it will be done quicker.

Australian companies will cover all your Rules & Regs as that is all they know how to do.

Edited by lilli

Awesome thanks, there is a lot of these companies it seems, the problem is finding one that is professional on both ends! Currently making a list.

Just jump on any of the shanghai expat websites, LMSW. Heaps of stuff on there but I just did a quick skim through for you. I think Lilli's advice is the best - get lots of info from the people on the China side to make your entry smooth.

Once again I think Lilli nailed it - make sure it's all what the Chinese authorities need as far as paperwork getting Rover's entry approved, and AQIS for paperwork getting Rover's exit done.

Out of curiosity, what's the conflicting info you and your parents have been given? It might help someone else down the track to know what sort of bureaucratic nightmare they might be facing like you are now

of a local agent.

Do you have a actual contact you could name for me so that I can speak to them directly?

:laugh: No they will speak to their contact in China, but you will pay Aust. Dogtainers/Jet Pets for the privilege.

And because you are going the Australian way, everything will take longer and be more bureaucratic.

Probably you will fill more forms in also.

Seriously just contact someone in Shanghai.

Do you have any names / contacts for agents in China?

I have had a look on the Air China website and it seems they only fly direct to Beijing? You are the second person to say they fly direct to shanghai so hopefully I am missing something! Do you know this for sure?

The only flight we have found that goes direct to china is through Qantas, and their flight arrives late at night so there is the added worry of all the quarantine staff in China will have gone home by then! Apparently you can "convince" them to stay with extra money, but to idea how to go about that.

What month are you looking at going?

Go to the Air China website and click on one way, depart SYD arrive SHANGHAI :)

direct flight.

When I spoke to Dogtainer, whilst being very helpful about everything they have said that the second the plane hits Chinese soil its no longer their responsibility and they basically have nothing to do with it on that end. They can however contact a local agent and then you work togethor from there. Im not sure if that would be better than using a company based in China? (worried that they will be dodgy on this end!)

in (or taking out my pet from) to Shanghai. Moving companies seem to be very expensive. Can I do this on my own instead?

yes you can.

When are you planning on going?

If it in sync with one of mine, I can help you with the bits and pieces.

Just send me a PM or email and we can go from there.

Nothing can happen dodgey from the Australian end as AQIS oversee anything that leaves Australia anyway.

There is actually very little the transport companies do ex Australia, apart from act as a go between for AQIS and the exporter.

So dont worry about leaving Australia, that never is a problem.

Edited by lilli

It really would be better for your parents to organise this from their end.

They can be there when the dog arrives & see what is happening with it too.

A little :offtopic: but somewhat relevant is that I doubt anyone will be grabbing your dog for dinner en route so yes there were some silly comments.

We keep pet lambs, bunnies, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese etc here & eat them too but we don't eat our pets.

Your dog will be fine once it gets there, its just a matter of arranging it.

Just jump on any of the shanghai expat websites, LMSW. Heaps of stuff on there but I just did a quick skim through for you. I think Lilli's advice is the best - get lots of info from the people on the China side to make your entry smooth.

Once again I think Lilli nailed it - make sure it's all what the Chinese authorities need as far as paperwork getting Rover's entry approved, and AQIS for paperwork getting Rover's exit done.

Out of curiosity, what's the conflicting info you and your parents have been given? It might help someone else down the track to know what sort of bureaucratic nightmare they might be facing like you are now

First it was the rabies shot, AQIS said it only needs to be a week before going. China said over a month at least.

Then Quarantine, first it was a month quarantine on arrival in china, then got told by people here that there was none at all, then told 7 days minimum but chinese side of things.

Heard a lot of conflicting stories about what the quaratine situation was like over there, from its a basic kennel to its a horrible hole in the ground where the dogs don't get fed.

Been told the key is just to bribe people, then told dont even think about bribing anyone because they are cutting down on that in shanghai and if you're caught they'll confiscate your dog.

List goes on! Basically everything anyone has said has been repeated differently by someone else. :o

of a local agent.

:laugh: No they will speak to their contact in China, but you will pay Aust. Dogtainers/Jet Pets for the privilege.

And because you are going the Australian way, everything will take longer and be more bureaucratic.

Probably you will fill more forms in also.

Seriously just contact someone in Shanghai.

Do you have any names / contacts for agents in China?

No not yet! I have been recommended a company called Globypet, but have to wait for mum to get in contact with them as I can't call them from here. Also world pet transport or something like that, another chinese based company.

What month are you looking at going?

Go to the Air China website and click on one way, depart SYD arrive SHANGHAI :)

direct flight.

in (or taking out my pet from) to Shanghai. Moving companies seem to be very expensive. Can I do this on my own instead?

yes you can.

When are you planning on going?

If it in sync with one of mine, I can help you with the bits and pieces.

Just send me a PM or email and we can go from there.

Nothing can happen dodgey from the Australian end as AQIS oversee anything that leaves Australia anyway.

There is actually very little the transport companies do ex Australia, apart from act as a go between for AQIS and the exporter.

So dont worry about leaving Australia, that never is a problem.

I never actually said I wanted to do it on my own, that was from something Raz said. But I really seriously appreciate any help! Its very confusing when you have never exported a animal so I will send you a PM. I'm going beginning of September we think.

It really would be better for your parents to organise this from their end.

They can be there when the dog arrives & see what is happening with it too.

A little :offtopic: but somewhat relevant is that I doubt anyone will be grabbing your dog for dinner en route so yes there were some silly comments.

We keep pet lambs, bunnies, pigs, chickens, ducks, geese etc here & eat them too but we don't eat our pets.

Your dog will be fine once it gets there, its just a matter of arranging it.

I am going with Rover because its way more expensive and confusing to try and send them on there own. And no way would I do that! I'm organising things and getting more information because they have been given nothing helpful over there and don't have the contacts I have here in Australia.