Flying A Dog To Shanghai , China. Need Info!

I am going to be flying to China with my parents dog Rover in September, but on the chinese side of things my parents have hit a few snags and are confused.

Whether or not I need a specific type of visa to bring him with me is the main one currently.

has anyone ever flown a dog to China? Or knows where I can get 100% ACCURATE information. So far the Chinese have said something different to what the australian quarantine people have said every time.

Please PM! Thanks

Edited by lovemesideways

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayrod from DOL may be able to help, otherwise Jetpets or Dogtainers should be able to help as they would be involved in transporting dogs there with reasonable frequency.

Wayrod from DOL may be able to help, otherwise Jetpets or Dogtainers should be able to help as they would be involved in transporting dogs there with reasonable frequency.

Will PM Wayrod and give Jetpets and Dogtainers a call tomorrow!

Ive spoken to AQIS already, and the information they have is different to what the chinese goverment told my parents on their end. Its all very confusing!

Is it a one way trip for the dog or is it a temporary stay.

Will they be returning back to Australia at any point.

One way trip :( They aren't coming back for a very long time otherwise Rover would be staying here with me as the quarantine to return is just crazy.

My understanding is that you can't bring a dog directly from China to oz - it has to spend about 6 months in Hong Kong first being quarantined there and then some more time being quarantined in Oz.

There was a Chinese student who had a GR he walked at the same dog park as me. When he had to go back to China he found a new home for his dog so it could stay in Oz. He was too worried the dog would never make it alive in China - they eat them there.

There was someone else that said they were going to china and taking the dogs too but decided against when they found out how hard it was to bring the dogs back. Ie can't.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any reliable info on dogs as pets in china - and whether or not they survive the chinese baggage handers?

see

http://scaashanghai....procedure.shtml

The site is a rescue organisation and seems mostly to be run by, and work with, ex-pats from the US, Europe, and Australia. They sound like real animal lovers with a lot of experience . . . it might be good to have your folks talk with them.

Given the way bureaucracy works in China, it may be worth working with a China-based company, especially, as described above, the dog can travel as excess baggage . . . meaning you will be on the same plane and be able to keep an eye on things. Looks like it's not especially onerous.

Edited by sandgrubber

My understanding is that you can't bring a dog directly from China to oz - it has to spend about 6 months in Hong Kong first being quarantined there and then some more time being quarantined in Oz.

There was a Chinese student who had a GR he walked at the same dog park as me. When he had to go back to China he found a new home for his dog so it could stay in Oz. He was too worried the dog would never make it alive in China - they eat them there.

There was someone else that said they were going to china and taking the dogs too but decided against when they found out how hard it was to bring the dogs back. Ie can't.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any reliable info on dogs as pets in china - and whether or not they survive the chinese baggage handers?

What is the point of this post exactly? To try and freak me out? Rover is going to China, I don't have a choice as he is not my dog! Saying things like hes going to die or get eaten are just horrible.

They do NOT eat dogs in Shanghai, I cannot say anything for some of the rural villages, but it is not common practice to eat dogs in China.

There are a lot of pet dogs in Shanghai, parents have been there about 3 months and seen many dogs. Its becoming more popular as time goes by. Mum is going to be joining a upcoming pets as therapy group that has started there.

And Yes that's correct regarding the quarantine, 6 months in a approved country before then coming back here for further quarantine. But like I said, they won't be bring him back as they are not returning.

see

The site is a rescue organisation and seems mostly to be run by, and work with, ex-pats from the US, Europe, and Australia. They sound like real animal lovers with a lot of experience . . . it might be good to have your folks talk with them.

Given the way bureaucracy works in China, it may be worth working with a China-based company, especially, as described above, the dog can travel as excess baggage . . . meaning you will be on the same plane and be able to keep an eye on things. Looks like it's not especially onerous.

I'm travelling with him. Thanks for the link! Will add it to the information I have sent across already.

What is the point of this post exactly? To try and freak me out? Rover is going to China, I don't have a choice as he is not my dog! Saying things like hes going to die or get eaten are just horrible.

They do NOT eat dogs in Shanghai, I cannot say anything for some of the rural villages, but it is not common practice to eat dogs in China.

There are a lot of pet dogs in Shanghai, parents have been there about 3 months and seen many dogs. Its becoming more popular as time goes by. Mum is going to be joining a upcoming pets as therapy group that has started there.

And Yes that's correct regarding the quarantine, 6 months in a approved country before then coming back here for further quarantine. But like I said, they won't be bring him back as they are not returning.

see

I'm travelling with him. Thanks for the link! Will add it to the information I have sent across already.

LMS, relax :)

I went to China this April as part of a dog mission and what is for sure is

1) Speak to your contact in China -

it doesn't matter what Australian anything say, China runs things their way.

2) Your Chinese friends in Australia are your local Chinese embassy/Consulate. You dont need a visa for your dog but you will need an import permit.

3) Choose an Airline that will let you fly your dog as freight - at the excess baggage rate.

4) Which Airline are you flying? :)

5) If you're staying at a high-end hotel, they will help also. Meet you when you get off the plane and take you through customs.

No problem :thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

They don't all run around eating dogs in China. There are many animal lovers there. They even hold dog shows in China!!! :D

Never let the facts get in the way of a good scare campaign.

The sooner people grasp that "China" is a vast country with a range of cultures, diets and attitudes to dogs, the better.

2) Your Chinese friends in Australia are your local Chinese embassy/Consulate. You dont need a visa for your dog but you will need an import permit.

3) Choose an Airline that will let you fly your dog as freight - at the excess baggage rate.

5) If you're staying at a high-end hotel, they will help also. Meet you when you get off the plane and take you through customs.

Its a bit hard to relax when I keep getting told a lot of horrible things. Trying to though!

We haven't yet got a proper agent in China, looking for one that comes recommended. Seems so far they have thought mum looked like a easy target to get some extra cash and shes been quoted a lot of bullshit. So looking for a company this end who has actually dealt with someone that end.

I don't know anything about a import permit? Just been told that the pet relocation company will waive the need for a residence visa apparently.

I think the airline is Qantas as they're the only one with direct flights to shanghai, everyone else you have to go through hongkong. Thats the other issue, the flights arrive fairly late and we've been told that if you arrive past a certain time, the quarantine guys have all gone home so the dog gets stuck in the crate with baggage for another 10 hours or something because you aren't allowed to bring them out without quarantine and customs dealing with it.

and my parents have a house there, so no hotel. So they say someone from my dads company will be dealing with my visa and everything. Not sure if they'll be helping me clear customs.

Yeah, all very confusing!

Nothing to offer but goodluck getting it all sorted and i hope you both have a hassle free flight and a great time in China.

I'm just repeating what the chinese man told me (is that Chinese whispers?)

But I don't know which bit of China he was from, and he thought his own life was going to be hard going back because he's not a member of the communist party.

I agree it's a big place, but what happenned to those Rio Tinto execs and a few other Australian business people who seem to have gotten on the wrong side of the wrong people - freaks me out. How do you know who to trust with what when that happens?

see

Better to be informed rather than uninformed :confused: Wasn't it only 5 years ago that thousands of dogs were slaughtered in Shanghai because of rabies? The police were taking dogs from people who were walking them and killing them? Or was that all a beat up?

I'm just repeating what the chinese man told me (is that Chinese whispers?)

But I don't know which bit of China he was from, and he thought his own life was going to be hard going back because he's not a member of the communist party.

I agree it's a big place, but what happenned to those Rio Tinto execs and a few other Australian business people who seem to have gotten on the wrong side of the wrong people - freaks me out. How do you know who to trust with what when that happens?

Just because a few people have gotten in trouble in China does not necessarily make it a dangerous place.As with any place I am sure it's about being careful, making sensible decisions and being respectful of local customs and laws. I'm sure given that LMS is returning the dog to her parents she will be quite safe :). Foreigners say the same about Australia- dangerous with all our poisonous snakes/ spiders and sharks in the ocean- and yet I think most of us on this forum are living proof that it is possible to survive in Australia ;).

Good Luck LMS, just make the phone calls you need to, make notes when you are speaking to people, and also make note of the name of the person you spoke to, and what time/ date. That way if you have any differences you can always refer back and say 'xxxx said on the 9th of August that......''

Edited by Brennan's Mum

Thought dogs were allowed to come directly into Aust but had to stay extra... but besides the point as the Dog going to China and maybe not returning..

Most Asian countries dont eat dogs, only in small areas and its quite over-rated about that topic, but there are small areas that do eat dogs etc... Just some doting little DOLers like to freak everyone out with useless information...

Basically what Lilli said Find what China rules are for Importing then relay them to who ever is transporting him to China. Most Dog movers are up-to-date with current exporting and importing rules and regulations.

All the best with him over there and good luck :)

Most Asian countries dont eat dogs, only in small areas and its quite over-rated about that topic, but there are small areas that do eat dogs etc...

Yeah and even then they don't eat pet dogs so it was a silly comment to make.

As surprising as it is people in Asia who eat dogs can also own them as pets and manage to differentiate between the 2. Crazy, I know! It's like they're like, normal human beings or something!

Its a bit hard to relax when I keep getting told a lot of horrible things. Trying to though!

We haven't yet got a proper agent in China, looking for one that comes recommended. Seems so far they have thought mum looked like a easy target to get some extra cash and shes been quoted a lot of bullshit. So looking for a company this end who has actually dealt with someone that end.

I don't know anything about a import permit? Just been told that the pet relocation company will waive the need for a residence visa apparently.

I think the airline is Qantas as they're the only one with direct flights to shanghai, everyone else you have to go through hongkong. Thats the other issue, the flights arrive fairly late and we've been told that if you arrive past a certain time, the quarantine guys have all gone home so the dog gets stuck in the crate with baggage for another 10 hours or something because you aren't allowed to bring them out without quarantine and customs dealing with it.

and my parents have a house there, so no hotel. So they say someone from my dads company will be dealing with my visa and everything. Not sure if they'll be helping me clear customs.

Yeah, all very confusing!

Air China will fly you direct from Sydney to Shanghai.

They will allow pets to fly as checked baggage.

(ie: your dog will travel as freight in the cargo hold but you pay the excess baggage fee.)

http://www.airchina.com.au/en/customerservice/FAQ/baggage.html

If you were going to use a transport company, I'd use one based in China.

http://scaashanghai.org/china_pet_import_procedure.shtml

They will know all the know-how, loop holes and realities that an Australian company (or AQIS) just wont know.

Australian transport companies, are good for common destinations /situations

but anything off the beaten track, you are better off arranging it yourself -

or through a company based in the place you need to get to/from.

This is not a swipe at Australian Pet transport companies,

its a fact that can be applied to all service industries and their predominant sectors.

Edited by lilli

Thought dogs were allowed to come directly into Aust but had to stay extra... but besides the point as the Dog going to China and maybe not returning..

Most Asian countries dont eat dogs, only in small areas and its quite over-rated about that topic, but there are small areas that do eat dogs etc... Just some doting little DOLers like to freak everyone out with useless information...

Basically what Lilli said Find what China rules are for Importing then relay them to who ever is transporting him to China. Most Dog movers are up-to-date with current exporting and importing rules and regulations.

All the best with him over there and good luck :)

Being up to date with the rules and regulations is one thing

but knowing the people on the ground is another -

that the Australian pet transport staff just cant match.

For some countries, most common destinations, this doesn't matter;

but for other countries it does.

I'll put China in the latter category.

In this category if you are going to go with an agent, you are better going through a local agent.

Edited by lilli