Nikon D3100 Or D5100

Rozzie

"If it was me" I'd go the 5100, similar specs but better fps if useful to you, and higher ISO if you are shooting in a dark tunnel. And higher megapixels as well. But they are not huge differences, if every dollar counts the 3100 is a smart camera and will give equally fine results.

Both models lack the in-camera focussing motor, so rely on using a lens (AFS lenses) in which the lens provides the auto-focus motor. This is not a real problem as there are scads of AFS lenses, I had the first of these the D40 and others on the forum have the D60 etc. It's just not a problem.

But if you already had non-AFS lenses that you wanted to keep using, you would have to manual focus with them. If that was the case I'd look at a second-hand D90. Good camera, and that keeps your price about the same. Means there might not be a warranty, though none of my Nikons have ever needed to have warranty work done.

I'm a bit prejudiced towards Nikon but not stupid-anti other brands. When you go to a camera store next, ask them to give you a good look at the Sony A55 and explain the features. They have some really handy features, price is okay, and they use nearly all of the old Minolta/Sony-Minolta lenses so you can build up a good range - a lovely quality lens collection cheaper than with Nikon/Canon.