British Bulldog Breeders In Australia

ellen_Tas

Guest lavendergirl

Oh wow really, I didnt know that.

Why is it considered a fault? It's just a colour yeah

it doesnt make the dog any different? Just makes them look

a little more interesting to me :)

I picked my dog because she had a crooked ear, makes her look real cute. If that's what you want and it makes you luv the dog more , keep looking, but I don't think you will ge t much help here.

Huh? :confused:

There is plenty of help on these forums! In the first reply the OP was advised of three different British Bulldog breeders they could approach. They have also now learnt that liver is not a desirable colour and not allowed in the show ring, and they have been given reasons as to WHY this is. On DOL we promote responsible and registered breeders ALWAYS with NO EXCEPTIONS so no one here is going to pipe up and say "Ohh so and so breeds for livers, only $5k a pup!"

Just because someone may not get the exact answer they were hoping for does NOT mean they have not been helped.

My apologies, I thought ellan was being lectured, but she was being helped. maybe she could have gotten a defective dog with the wrong coloured nose from a breeder without papers or are they put to sleep.

Actually that is an interesting question Mervin. What happens to those pure bred pups who don't meet the required standard? Are they all sold off as "pet only"??

I picked my dog because she had a crooked ear, makes her look real cute. If that's what you want and it makes you luv the dog more , keep looking, but I don't think you will ge t much help here.

There is plenty of help on these forums! In the first reply the OP was advised of three different British Bulldog breeders they could approach. They have also now learnt that liver is not a desirable colour and not allowed in the show ring, and they have been given reasons as to WHY this is. On DOL we promote responsible and registered breeders ALWAYS with NO EXCEPTIONS so no one here is going to pipe up and say "Ohh so and so breeds for livers, only $5k a pup!"

Just because someone may not get the exact answer they were hoping for does NOT mean they have not been helped.

My apologies, I thought ellan was being lectured, but she was being helped. maybe she could have gotten a defective dog with the wrong coloured nose from a breeder without papers or are they put to sleep.

Actually that is an interesting question Mervin. What happens to those pure bred pups who don't meet the required standard? Are they all sold off as "pet only"??

To the rules of the ANKC all pups in a litter must be registered, so the Dudley or liver nosed pups are registered on the limited register (not for breeding or showing) a reputable breeder of British Bulldogs will also ensure that any Dudley or liver nosed pups are desexed before going to their new homes 1. because of the disqualifying fault they should not be bred from and 2. To stop them getting into the hands of the "RARE" color breeders who would see nothing but profits

They are not euthanased as the fault is purely cosmetic.

but she was being helped. maybe she could have gotten a defective dog with the wrong coloured nose from a breeder without papers or are they put to sleep.

Wow that's nice :( Since when is a dog defective because it is the wrong colour for the ring - and it's not just the nose colour, a liver dog has no black on it anywhere, coat, skin, nails etc.

The breed standard does not allow the colour so ethical breeders will never breed "for" it and OP wanted to know someone who was breeding this colour - to which the answer is no one ethical will ever breed this colour on purpose so if they find someone who is they should run a mile - let alone someone who is importing dogs which are disallowed colours (and presumably incorporating them into a breeding programme)

OP - personally I find liver to be unattractive because it is wishy-washy and liver dogs often have yellow or light coloured eyes which I personally find ugly on a dog. Does this mean I would "hate" a liver coloured dog, nope.

Why do you find it attractive would be an equally valid question.

And my comment about finding a healthy puppy was not sarcastic. If the only thing you want to know is how to find a specific colour and you make no mention of it having to be an ethical breeder who breeds healthy dogs, just the colour - then what conclusion do you expect people to come to?

If you want a liver dog buy a Labrador or GSP or Dobe, the colour is accepted in those breeds (and others) and you will find an ethical caring breeder doing their best to produce quality dogs in the colour you desire.

Edited by Sandra777

• 1 month later...

To the rules of the ANKC all pups in a litter must be registered, so the Dudley or liver nosed pups are registered on the limited register (not for breeding or showing) a reputable breeder of British Bulldogs will also ensure that any Dudley or liver nosed pups are desexed before going to their new homes 1. because of the disqualifying fault they should not be bred from and 2. To stop them getting into the hands of the "RARE" color breeders who would see nothing but profits

They are not euthanased as the fault is purely cosmetic.

Hi i am new here and find this topic very interesting.

So if these colours are not excepted in the ring, then why haven't the dog's that keep producing these colour's been desexed. If it is not a fault they why is it such a problem.

I like the look of them and their eye colour, it is something different you don't see everyday.

Shouldn't we be looking at the health and temperment of the dog's we want to breed, other then worrying about colour.

lack of pigmentation in many breeds is undesirable as a whole. Blue colouration and other dilutions means the dog has less pigment causing these 'blues' and 'livers'. There are usually genes that go hand in hand with dilute genes that are bad for the dogs and overall breeds long term health.

Yes sometimes dogs crop up with different colouration and if you find one, good for you it fits your idea of cuteness.

Only health issue I see is a Cherry eye.

Which can be easily fixed.

If you have ever seen a hideous case of cherry eye and the surgery that goes with it, it's not something to sweep under the carpet. I have seen paler coloured dogs suffering skin infections and just plain bad skin/ears, then there is looking after the teeth, making sure the dog has access to climate control during the warm weather. There is also entropian, elongated soft palate, constricted trachea, and hips especially.

They're not really that low maintenance a breed. Go for a good breeder who health tests and provides you with support and guarentees to ensure you get a healthy bulldog and not an overpriced lemon.

Maddiebell some colours can just crop up when you breed, and depending on the quantity of pups that are simply mismarks but physically/mentally healthy then you make a choice from there. Good breeding is about making educated decisions. If your bitch has a litter and say one mismark pops out you're not going to just cut the genetics out of the pool because of that. A lot of these are simply recessive (ie mum and dad both carry the gene and the pup who gets a copy from each parent exhibits it) types and good breeding can avoid producing dogs out of standard. Saying that genetics is genetics and we cannot control things like random mutation, recessive carriers for unrecognised genes etc.

Edited by Nekhbet