How Should I Put Puppy Back Into The Crate?

GrumpySmurf

I know that the ideal is the puppy would go into his crate on command. But Kahlua is at the beginning of training and we all have work / school at fixed times. He doesn't hate the crate, and it has never been used as punishment. He gets huge praises and special treats (chicken in Kong) when he's in it. But he does whine (for 2-10 minutes) after being put in. We always ignores him completely when he whines, and would not allow him any attention until we get 20-30 seconds of silence.

Now a new problem is arising in that he would run away a lot of the times when I try to pick him up. I vary the pick up between things such as Crate Time, Brush Time, Hug Time, Toilet Time.

We've only had him for 1.5 weeks, he's 11.5 weeks old.

Is there any suggestions on how I can improve on this? It does get frustrating / heartbreaking trying to chase him, and also hearing his whine.

Lately, I feel as though his training is taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back :mad

Edited by GrumpySmurf

I used to put my boy on a light leash the moment I opened the crate and would leave that on him ... never giving him to opportunity to run away from me.

If he was having outside play time (after his toilet break) then he was allowed off leash but it would go back on when I was heading inside with him. If he didn't come up to me so I could clip on the lead then he was left outside and I went inside - he quickly worked out if he wants to be with me then he needs the leash inside.

My boy is also vocal so going into the crate also included a tasty treat such a chicken neck or something so he had no issues with going inside it.

I'm not sure (because i only have your post to go by) but i'll hazzard a guess that he doesn't have a high value for being in the crate and has associated being picked up with going in the crate- something he may not hate, but does not love to do. It sounds like you might need to build a higher value for the crate. Susan Garrett's DVD 'Crate Games' is a great dvd (worth every cent) that helps you build a very high value for the crate.

One way to help develop high crate value is to feed him in his crate. Remembering that you can't rely on one way to build value. Perhaps instead of picking him up to put him in the crate, you could lure him with treats into the crate. That way he doesn't associate being picked up with being put in the crate. There are some youtube videos that illustrate crate training but none of them that i've seen so far have illustrated building a very high value for the crate. My two cents worth of advice is to purchase Susan Garrett's 'Crate Games' dvd and move forward in building a very high crate value.

Hope i've helped :)

why are you picking him up? Obviously his legs work, cos he runs away ;)

ideal is the puppy would go into his crate on command.
eventually, yes.

The IDEAL is that your pup runs to you when you call him ...because YOU are the source of all things wonderful !!!

picking a pup up and placing him somewhere , IMO, teaches him nothing good. :(

to LEARN to do something .. HE has to do it , not you .

HE needs to walk into his crate . if the only way he will do this is to eat his meal... then, fine.. he only gets fed in his crate...and NOWHERE else.

you need to teach yourself how to get your puppy to come running when you call.

if he doesn't like brush time ... then brushing gets done when you INVITE (not grab) him for 'cuddle time' gently ,and a little bit of brushing, then a cuddle , some more brushing, then a massage .... cuddles/pats/treats ,IMO should only be given for rewards ...NOT just because puppy is cute , and you want to ;)

This actually works out really well for the pup, as there are SO many opportunities for him to do the right thing and EARN a cuddle/feed/treat/game ...... that's if he loves cuddles , etc. if he is not a cuddle seeker- then use another reward. Not every dog does like cuddles ....

have a read of these links

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

and unless it is an emergency ..NEVER chase after your pup. :)

why are you picking him up? Obviously his legs work, cos he runs away ;)

ideal is the puppy would go into his crate on command.
eventually, yes.

The IDEAL is that your pup runs to you when you call him ...because YOU are the source of all things wonderful !!!

picking a pup up and placing him somewhere , IMO, teaches him nothing good. :(

to LEARN to do something .. HE has to do it , not you .

HE needs to walk into his crate . if the only way he will do this is to eat his meal... then, fine.. he only gets fed in his crate...and NOWHERE else.

you need to teach yourself how to get your puppy to come running when you call.

if he doesn't like brush time ... then brushing gets done when you INVITE (not grab) him for 'cuddle time' gently ,and a little bit of brushing, then a cuddle , some more brushing, then a massage .... cuddles/pats/treats ,IMO should only be given for rewards ...NOT just because puppy is cute , and you want to ;)

This actually works out really well for the pup, as there are SO many opportunities for him to do the right thing and EARN a cuddle/feed/treat/game ...... that's if he loves cuddles , etc. if he is not a cuddle seeker- then use another reward. Not every dog does like cuddles ....

have a read of these links

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

and unless it is an emergency ..NEVER chase after your pup. :)

+1 training for self-regulation not owner control is the approach i also advocate.

One word of advice I would not pick puppy up all the time to get him to do the stuff you want him to do ( ie pick im up and put him in the crate). Make him walk in on his own. I had a friends little dog here and I found I was picking him up to make him do things instead of luring him etc ( its not my dog so I wasnt going to train him for them) but I guess my point is this, if i had done it with my lab there is no way I could pick him up now to get him to do things, and IMO its better for a small dog to learn to do things when they are asked and not carried and put where they must go. Small or big I feel they must work for their rewards and learn how to learn. I was talking to someone about this the other day, if puppy is never taught how to learn then you only have trouble further down the line.

Crate games DVD is an excellent DVD, I also like THe Focused Puppy book from Clean Run ( free shipping ATM) great ideas in there about how to raise a pup.

I also recommend the DVD crate games. :thumbsup:

My pup fractured her leg when she was younger therefore I had to do an accellerated version of SG's method as she had to be crated immedietley. Our poor pup had to spend ALOT of time in her crate so you would think she would hate her crate. No - she runs into her crate no problems, no luring, even if I walk near the crate she runs in.

As others have mentioned you need to build high value for the crate - the Crates Games DVD will help you achieve this.

Edited by buddy1

My pup has ALWAYS got a yummy treat for going into his crate. I keep a jar of them on top. Now when it's bedtime, I just call him for bed...both dogs come running at speed & both pop into their own crates, turn around to face the door & drop, waiting for the treat. :thumbsup:

I think your expecting to much in such a short time frame & as such your frustration is confusing the pup,they read body language very well & if they don't trust the owner why go to them.

No point chasing either it just becomes a game or worse a fear .

I suggest just taking a step back not being so structured & allow pup to do things on his on .

At present its what you want not allowing pup to believe its something to enjoy.

All our dogs are crate trained but we don't do any of this bribery & the likes in 25 yrs dogs are placed in & all works fine,the more you bribe the more they expect .Ours fight to get in first because sitting in it means so much to them

Thanks all for constructive replies. I think "showdog" may be right - my expectation may be just too high. I hadn't fed Kahlua inside the crate as I was doing the Triangle of Temptation. For the last 3 meals, I am now feeding him in the crate as well as TOT and he IS doing great with a 30 seconds sit/stay beofre I say "OK!"

I also do find that, despite the slight inconvenience, a leash on him at all (nearly) times is working well. If only he would stop chewing on the leash so much :)

If only he would stop chewing on the leash so much smile.gif

he shouldn't be chewing at all .

spray it with chili or bitterbite .. or , for a time, use a fine chain leash with a nice soft handle for you :) That's what I usually do - that fine link chain isn't fun to chew- so they give up!

My lab had a horrible habit of grabbing the lead and chewing it, i think i ruined him for tug tho as i kept discouraging him from doing it and now he doesnt really like tug :(

Me to!!! One of my labs will chew through a lead if tied up and also chew through all the other dogs leads. She will even chew through the other dogs lead is she is not tied up - she sets them free!! It is such a pain.

I have also had little success with tug with my labs. My girl who is now 3 I tried using a tug toys with the food pouch, but she just would sit for the treat.

So with my pup I have spent more time with her tugging. However she will only tug for a minute then let go.

Labs are SOOOO food focused that tugging is not reward they want!!