Elbie-ball

Elbie's favourite game in all the world. It involves:

1. Holding an object in his mouth (usually a tuffy or another ball)

2. Kicking the ball towards a human

3. Preventing the ball from passing him when the human kicks it back

Lately he has taken to using his head to bounce it back at his human. He developed the rules himself and he could quite happily play it for ages. I have no idea why it's so fun for him. Does anyone else's dog do this? Video below. Please ignore the dirty floor, that's Hoover fur - he sheds like a demon and even daily Swiffering and Dysoning can't keep up :laugh:

So cute, I love how he is holding a ball in his mouth while playing the game.

My dog isn't that smart to know how to kick the ball but he likes having a ball in his mouth then dropping it from standing height so it bounces then going and getting it, or sometimes throwing it up in the air and playing fetch with himself...

My dog isn't that smart to know how to kick the ball but he likes having a ball in his mouth then dropping it from standing height so it bounces then going and getting it, or sometimes throwing it up in the air and playing fetch with himself...

Hi,

There is a new competition dog sport........I saw it demonstrated at the DogsNSW PR day/show.......it involves a gym/pilates ball and the dog pushing the ball around a coarse, through a tunnel etc.......maybe someone one the training forum would know more.....the dogs seemed to love it.

Hi,

There is a new competition dog sport........I saw it demonstrated at the DogsNSW PR day/show.......it involves a gym/pilates ball and the dog pushing the ball around a coarse, through a tunnel etc.......maybe someone one the training forum would know more.....the dogs seemed to love it.

That's really interesting, I wonder if they are doing it in Brisbane? Will have to look into it!

Hi,

That's really interesting, I wonder if they are doing it in Brisbane? Will have to look into it!

Hi,

There is a thread on the Training forum under Treibball. Cheers (Now I know what this sport is call too...LOL)

Thats great does he do it with a soccer ball too?? My girl Tully is ball mad but she just retrieves it for me to throw again.

Billie usually retrieves, but with one ball in her mouth like Elbie she can't pick the other up - it's the only way to guarantee she'll push it back to you. :laugh:

Billie also likes 'handball'...you bounce a ball to her and she bounces it back quite forcefully with her nose. We get some surprisingly long rallies!

Jazz would play that game all day as well only she doesnt hold another toy while playing. LOL

Her oddity with holding a toy is she likes to greet me with a "woo woo woo" when i get home but this can only be done with suitable toy in her mouth and she will run madly to find 1 then come and stand in front of me and give a "woo woo woo" around the toy :)

Our Chevy dog loves to play with soccer balls, just the regular you kick it, he chases it and brings it back, but I was finding that more often than not he was dropping the ball taking a few steps back then copping a ball in the face when I kicked it - so then he was dropping the ball back at our feet within 2 seconds.

So to fix this problem I taught him to drop the ball at our feet then he has to run around behind us (kind of like an obedience finish) which gives us plenty of time to kick the ball and then he has to actually chase the ball a reasonable distance.

Guest Clover

My Elvis (aka Elbie funnily enough lol) could play a similar game to this all day as well. He grabs a toy or stick or leaf in his mouth and then plays soccar with a big ball.

My daughters BC plays totem tennis with the kids ( they don't really get a choice), he has his spot and waits until the ball comes his way and catches it, then swings it on to whoever is standing next to him. He will play for hours.

What a great video. The one of him playing with the steak in his mouth is just too cute :rofl:.

I forgot about that one :rofl:

Here is Elbie Ball with rubber steak in mouth and a ball to kick. This predates his 'head butting' variation, though.