Amstaff First Time Breeders...many Questions!

Amerigo

Whilst I think that's lovely, how do you know she meets that criteria if she isn't tested in the show ring? There's so many unwanted dogs out there already (staffies in particular) I think it's sad to contribute to this just because you think your dog is nice. if you are genuinely interested in bettering your breed I'd start with showing before even considering breeding.

What a load of crap! So all breeders show their dogs now do they! She doesn't need to go prancing In the show world to know If she's a good example of the breed and worthy of breeding. There are plenty of "other" activities people can do with their dogs apart from showing.

ETA: Have a look at what's happening In the show ring with Am Staffs! IMO too many way off In their standards. Some are so huge they can almost pass as Mastiffs

I didn't get the feeling moosepup was saying just showing - but they didn't exclude agility, OB, ET etc.

According to my breeder and ppl who see a lot of my breed - I have a very nice girl but I am reluctant to breed her unless I can better the breed. I've found the best way to meet the most ppl in my breed, learn about the various lines, figuring out what is a fault etc is to show.

We are not aiming for a Ch title - but wanted to learn more about our breed.

with so many ppl being backyard breeders

wouldnt u be worried about having a litter and

then those ppl who adopt pups use them as a breeding dogs

and possibly in fighting circles etc?

That is a legit question and concern

Just interested to know. As for me it would be something i would

worry about.

I dont think there is really wrong with wanting to breed without showing, however I do believe truly that you should learn as much as you can about the breed, and your girl, before breeding. I think that finding a good mentor is the best step to really work out if a) your bitch is worthy of breeding b) you are bettering the breed and also to have someone to bounce ideas off/learn from in regards to a breeding program, breeding the right lines, good temperaments and health. There is a lotmore to breeding than finding a dog that you think will suit your bitch - you should learn about lines, choose a path of linebreeding, outcrossing or a combination, and learn what it all means and where it will take you.

Dog showing doesn't always determine what should or shouldn't be bred, but it does open up your eyes and helps you learn more than staying at home and looking at your own dog day in day out. it can help you decide what you don't like, what certain dogs are producing, what lines you might like to obtain, and of course, showing (and other dog sports) is a good networking tool and will probably allow you to be taken more seriously as a breeder if you are willing to get out there and learn.

My breed mentor is interstate, but I have a number of people I can call on in perth, in other breeds, for help and advice.

with so many ppl being backyard breeders

wouldnt u be worried about having a litter and

then those ppl who adopt pups use them as a breeding dogs

and possibly in fighting circles etc?

That is a legit question and concern

Just interested to know. As for me it would be something i would

worry about.

Bartok this happens in all breeds (using for breeding, not necessarily fighting circles) - yes it is always a concern, but it's about making sure you screen your buyers as best you can. if you are unsure, go with your instinct, and always be prepared to say no. at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to prevent bad breeding and the best possible thing you can do short of desexing them all before they go, is screen as best you can.