Amstaff First Time Breeders...many Questions!

Amerigo

I have a lovely 2yo full register Amstaff bitch whom I would like to breed with in the near future. i have MANY questions!

1. She has had a season before - her always largish vulva gets even more swollen so it is quite obvious that she is in season, but I have never seen even a single drop of blood...and she sleeps in bed, so I am worried I am going to miss her most fertile days for breeding...any tips?

2. How to tell when your bitch will have her next season???? Or is it always at end of winter for spring time birth?

3. Can any one recommend vets in Perth (south) for health testing (ataxia and Hip score)?

4. I do have a friend who breeds some small breeds who will help me with the actual birth - what I really need is help getting the 'buns in the oven' LOL - Is there a stock standard procedure, or does it depend on the individual, and the breed?

thanks!

yep - if you are an absolute novice - you owe it to your dog, her future progeny and the BREED to be as informed as you can be. Asking on here is great , BUT you would be well served checking out good responsible breeders..and , as said, getting a mentor.

There is SO much to learn about . You really should have started these questions shortly after you got your puppy ;) It is not something you learn in a month or two.

The first question you need to answer..is WHY does this bitch need to go thru the trauma of breeding?

What does she have in the way of structure/temperament/health which is so good that it should be passed on? What is it in her bloodlines (on both sides) which should be perpetuated ?

;)

Unfortunatly, we had a lot of trouble with the breeders, who didnt do the right thing and bred their bitch too young (which we only found out later through the canine association). So we really cut ties with them after we found out about that.

I do have a friend who breeds a lot of small breeds who has said she will help me through the pregnancy, but she doesnt understand how I could not have seen any blood on my bitch's season...

So I am asking the greater dog world for some general advice!

The first question you need to answer..is WHY does this bitch need to go thru the trauma of breeding?

What does she have in the way of structure/temperament/health which is so good that it should be passed on? What is it in her bloodlines (on both sides) which should be perpetuated ?

;)

This.

In that case, go to a show and meet some other amstaff breeders and exhibitors. Develop some relationships with them and perhaps ask them to evaluate your bitch - if the breeders of your girl did as you said and broke the rules, then they also may not have necessarily produced quality pups - your girl looks lovely, but you need to make sure she adheres to the standard and is a good example of her breed before you breed her.

Some bitches can have silent seasons where there are no apparent signs. Breeding is a difficult, complicated, expensive and often heart-breaking experience and there are plenty of things that can go wrong - don't take it on lightly.

I breed Pure Spanish Horses, and have been wanting to get into dog breeding for a long time.

We have a nice bitch who adheres nicely to the breed standards and is a good height (not over height like many Amstaffs these days). She is a nice Terrier type, with a very good movement and a temperament to match. We have had nothing but positive comments from breeders when she was younger and went to breed society training. One lady said she was 'on the small side', but She has measured on the lower end of the breed standard which I am more than happy with.

The same breeder that we got her from is quite well known and shows quite successfully - we saw many youngsters out at shows before we decided to buy a pup from them. That is why we were so shocked about the whole ordeal we had to go through with registration.

I specifically want to breed my bitch with a moderate type male, with a nice boxy face and good temperament - I think the terrier type x the moderate type will result in some nice stock which I would hope to retain for future breedings.

I have a breeding 'plan' so to speak - I just find that the dog world seems to be very anti new people breeding. i can understand there are some very valid reasons for this, but why discourage responsible people who want to breed lovely healthy and quality dogs?

How else do people get into the breeding 'scene'?

Most responsible breeders get into it by either showing or by getting into performance/dog sports.

If you show your bitch or compete with her, I think you'll be more likely to get into contact with other amstaff breeders and they will be more willing to help you.

There are a few good breeders out there that don't show or compete but are very experienced in the breed ie have previously been involved in breed trials/showing/dog sports etc.

At the minimum you should look into getting a prefix and becoming a registered breeder yourself. There is very little chance of other registered breeders allowing you to use one of their dogs if you aren't registered yourself.

Not all bitches bleed when they are in season. You may only notice the swelling of the vulva and maybe a sloght behavioural change.

Most responsible breeders get into it by either showing or by getting into performance/dog sports.

If you show your bitch or compete with her, I think you'll be more likely to get into contact with other amstaff breeders and they will be more willing to help you.

Not all bitches bleed when they are in season. You may only notice the swelling of the vulva and maybe a sloght behavioural change.

Thanks for the advice!

I show horses on the weekends - zero time for dog showing to be honest. It is not something I am highly interested in. BUT.. I do want to breed healthy, correct dogs with good temperaments.

Getting the stud prefix etc, is the easy part - the hard part is the knowledge of breeding itself!

So, how does one breed a bitch who doesnt bleed? How will you know how many days along she is in her cycle?

Thanks for the advice!

I show horses on the weekends - zero time for dog showing to be honest. It is not something I am highly interested in. BUT.. I do want to breed healthy, correct dogs with good temperaments.

Getting the stud prefix etc, is the easy part - the hard part is the knowledge of breeding itself!

So, how does one breed a bitch who doesnt bleed? How will you know how many days along she is in her cycle?

You take her to the vet and get a progesterone test done, you will then know whe she is ready to mate

Edited by Bjelkier

1. She has had a season before - her always largish vulva gets even more swollen so it is quite obvious that she is in season, but I have never seen even a single drop of blood...and she sleeps in bed, so I am worried I am going to miss her most fertile days for breeding...any tips?

A silent season is not common but happens.

To have some idea of when to start thinking she's ready you will need to pay attention to when she starts swelling, then monitor her behaviour, then get blood tests as already suggested - unless the dog you end up mating her to is local and experienced - in which case it's just as simple to pop around and see hubby and see what they have to say about each other :laugh:

2. How to tell when your bitch will have her next season???? Or is it always at end of winter for spring time birth?

Bitches usually have a set pattern, and will come in season 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - more months apart. After two or more seasons you usually get the idea. Six monthly is considered "normal" for most breeds but anything betwen 5 and 8 months is certainly within the bounds of 'usual'. The time of the year has nothing to do with it.

3. Can any one recommend vets in Perth (south) for health testing (ataxia and Hip score)?

can't help with that one :)

4. I do have a friend who breeds some small breeds who will help me with the actual birth - what I really need is help getting the 'buns in the oven' LOL - Is there a stock standard procedure, or does it depend on the individual, and the breed?

What specifically do you want to know - generally speaking the process is the same for all breeds so your breeder friend should be able to answer most of your general questions, the owner of the stud dog you choose will probably help out with most of the rest. but if you have specific questions you'll get a great variety of opinions here to consider

Thanks for the advice!

Whilst I think that's lovely, how do you know she meets that criteria if she isn't tested in the show ring? There's so many unwanted dogs out there already (staffies in particular) I think it's sad to contribute to this just because you think your dog is nice. if you are genuinely interested in bettering your breed I'd start with showing before even considering breeding.

Whilst I think that's lovely, how do you know she meets that criteria if she isn't tested in the show ring? There's so many unwanted dogs out there already (staffies in particular) I think it's sad to contribute to this just because you think your dog is nice. if you are genuinely interested in bettering your breed I'd start with showing before even considering breeding.

What a load of crap! So all breeders show their dogs now do they! She doesn't need to go prancing In the show world to know If she's a good example of the breed and worthy of breeding. There are plenty of "other" activities people can do with their dogs apart from showing.

ETA: Have a look at what's happening In the show ring with Am Staffs! IMO too many way off In their standards. Some are so huge they can almost pass as Mastiffs

Edited by RottnBullies