My Dog Is Regressing - Is This Normal

Hi, I've been training my rescue rottiexdobe since I got her at approx 10months old - she is about to turn 3 yrs old in August. She has so far been fairly easy to train, quick to learn and has been a joy to own. Recently at training, she has started to not pay attention, break her stays and do zoomies around the ring and generally interfere with the other dogs in the class. It's like we are now taking one step forward and two steps backwards. She is in a CCD class and I would like to get my CCD title with her, but feel rather despondent lately due to her behaviour. I'm going back to not letting her off lead in class and really reinforcing and praising when she does what I ask her to do. Is this an age thing where she is exerting her own self and just being rebellious and will grow out of it? Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

She gets plenty of exercise and has her doggy playmates that she enjoys playing with a couple of times a week under supervision. I have two other dogs that she loves and she just adores all people and children. The one thing that I can say has changed is we haven't been doing many street walks as I have been driving the dogs to all their activities (training, playing etc). I am going to go back to street walks as she really pays attention to me and she doesn't get easily distracted - another way of reinforcing what I want her to do.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Is it possible that you want this (training success) so badly that she is picking up on your disappointment when things don't go exactly to plan and what you are seeing is a reaction to stress?

I know I'm like this with my boy and was talking with one of the students in our class who is doing the same thing with her young girl.

My boy shuts down, her girl does zoomies when they feel too much pressure. Without seeing you working your dog I don't know, but it is something worth considering.

Is it possible that you want this (training success) so badly that she is picking up on your disappointment when things don't go exactly to plan and what you are seeing is a reaction to stress?

I know I'm like this with my boy and was talking with one of the students in our class who is doing the same thing with her young girl.

My boy shuts down, her girl does zoomies when they feel too much pressure. Without seeing you working your dog I don't know, but it is something worth considering.

Thanks, you could possibly be right. I was also thinking that she never went through a rebellious teenage stage - maybe she is going through it now - lol. My son never had the terrible twos, but definitely had the terrible 3s and 4s with a vengeance. Maybe my girl is late at maturing. I do however have high expectations of her, given that she has been, up until now, fairly easy to train and I can see the steps each week. Maybe I'll take the pressure off now and develop again what she previously had. Thanks for your insight.

most Rotties /Dobes dont really mature till thye are about 4 yrs

Its fun when you have 4-5 Rotties who decide to show there assertiveness within months apart from each other :eek:

We have had one that was 78kg's by the time he was 12months, who really pushed the point in being very defiant in training.

We found the bitches didnt do this sort of thing till they were around 3yrs, so yes be more calm around her when you do train & go back to more walkies, she might calm down again :D

most Rotties /Dobes dont really mature till thye are about 4 yrs

Its fun when you have 4-5 Rotties who decide to show there assertiveness within months apart from each other :eek:

We have had one that was 78kg's by the time he was 12months, who really pushed the point in being very defiant in training.

We found the bitches didnt do this sort of thing till they were around 3yrs, so yes be more calm around her when you do train & go back to more walkies, she might calm down again :D

Thanks so much for this - I will just be patient and take it easy and be consistent. Lots more leash walks for her and hopefully we will ride out the storm -lol. My goal is to go further with her in training and if we can get through this, then I don't see any reason why we can't go further. We got our K9 good citizen award this year as well - if I can get the CCD title, I will be over the moon. Thanks again.

Just a suggestion - have you read "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt? She has some very sound suggestion for just the type of situation you are describing. It is worth a read.

Hi, no I haven't read this. Thanks for the tip - I will certainly be getting a copy of this one. Thanks again.

I would suggest having a break for a week or two from training and then going back to basics and keeping it FUN. Reward for short stays of a few seconds, don't always keep stretching the time for the stays, I think a little bit of unpredictability does a lot of keeping the dog interested and not just thinking you are either constantly asking for more (which can cause some dogs to give up trying as they need more feedback)

I have a breed that doesn't like to keep repeating the same exercise, so I have to keep things mixed up - short stays, longer stays, inbetween doing something more fun - tug games, leg weaving, quick retrieve etc and then go back to doing stays but maybe stand to the side or behind the dog, maybe I'll be waving my arms about, jumping up and down or catching a ball - all different things to keep the dog focused and to test the strength of the dogs stay without having to resort to making it longer time. My older giant was particularly found of doing a long/out of sight stay once she realised I would be spending the time hiding her favourite toy or treats, so she got a super reward for it (once released)

I have a breed that doesn't like to keep repeating the same exercise, so I have to keep things mixed up - short stays, longer stays, inbetween doing something more fun - tug games, leg weaving, quick retrieve etc and then go back to doing stays but maybe stand to the side or behind the dog, maybe I'll be waving my arms about, jumping up and down or catching a ball - all different things to keep the dog focused and to test the strength of the dogs stay without having to resort to making it longer time. My older giant was particularly found of doing a long/out of sight stay once she realised I would be spending the time hiding her favourite toy or treats, so she got a super reward for it (once released)

:thumbsup:

I think some breeds just cope with repetition better than others. All breeds benefit from training like this though.