Any Camera Nerds Here?

Kirislin

I've just bought myself an old film Canon FTb with a 50mm 1.4 lens, hood and leather case. I initially thought the lens might be usable on my current camera as a manual lens but I dont think it will be. I cant even figure out how to get it off the camera! I'm also a bit wary that it might have fungus although the lens looks clean enough with just a visual check.

Does anyone know anything about them. I am thinking about sending it off to Canon for cleaning but it might cost more than the camera is worth, I'm not sure.

Shutterbox in Toorak would be the best person. He would give you a quote to check and clean. I think he has just moved from Toorak Road but is just around the corner. Can't put my hand on the card, google finds him though. Give him a ring first is best before going in, he is not expensive compared to Canon/Nikon but better in my opinion. The big cost won't be giving it a "grease and oil change" but the cost of films and processing unless you have someone in the Camera Club who does it. Cost the world these days just to get black and white processing done. Very satisfying though.

Umm no I don't know the models these days - I had a good Canon film jobbie that was stolen in Viet Nam. Still have a Nikon, a Pentax and a Canter but haven't used them for years. I wouldn't try the lens at all on your DSLR, too much risk of doing some damage to the electronics.

thanks Poss! I've emailed them.

I'm kinda hoping it will be OK to keep. I've had a little play around with it and it works! Well, it makes a very satisfying click when I press the button. I've no idea if there's even film inside and I'm sure if there is it wont be any good now.