We Had A Big Scare Last Night

Whippetsmum

Had a major scare last night with my 4 year old boy Whippet.

The background is that we moved house to a nice block overlooking a bush regeneration area and creek. The dogs have been crated and shut in until the new fence goes up, as the current fence is quite low. It took 2 weeks to get anyone to come over to quote for the fence, and then we had to convince them that we really did want a 6ft fence for the Whippets, and then were told it would take 4-5 weeks to get the fence. Finally got a good contractor in last Friday who is hopefully getting the fence in this Saturday.

Last night, the dogs went out for a toilet break, and OH didn't go with them. In the dark, we heard the barking, and then the yelping and howling. The girl was franticaly trying to get over the fence and the boy was nowhere in sight. The drop over the fence is 3m at least, and then once the 1.4 fence is cleared it's a bit more than that. To add to the drama, the bush regeneration people have been putting lovely sharp stakes in to suport the newly planted trees, so you can guess what I expected to find.

I scrambled over the fence in the dark, down the stone embankment, screaming for OH to bring a torch. OH rolls down the embankment behind me, said he couldn't wait to find a torch. At the edge of the creek, still wanting to chase the prey was my boy, still standing. On inspection, my boy has a bloody nose (a graze), grass stains on his forehead, neck, shoulder and rump, and a nasty scratch on his belly. It looks from the stains that he rolled down the embankment which is heavily grasssed. He's moving well this morning, and has no obvious sore spots.

All toilet breaks are now on leash until the fence is up....

And OH is OK too.

Wow :o Could have been a whole lot worse and I expected to hear bad bad news as I read through. I am glad he is "repairable" ......scary things like this set your heart a racing.

PS I have friend here in W.A. who breeds whippets and does agility stuff with them...they are beautiful dogs