My Friend's "therapy Dog"

Guest HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

My friend in the USA is very attached to her dog. Last year she went to Europe and her dog sitter lost her dog (EDIT: although, luckily they found her again.) Needless to say my friend was SO upset, and now she never lets that dog out of her sight.

In fact, she went to her doctor and got a letter saying that her dog is her therapy dog and now she can literally take it everywhere.

She also can go to any beach with it and it can have it in any rental property.

But the most amazing this is when she flies domestically within the USA, the dog is allowed to travel in the cabin at her feet. They even get upgraded all the time because of it!!

Now I know you can't do that in Australia, but has anyone else heard of this overseas?? I wish we could do this here...

(P.S my friend doesn't actually suffer from anxiety ;) and her sister just got a dog and has done the same thing.)

:)

Edited by HarperGD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I know someone who has had their dog trained and accredited as an Assistance Dog - so she can take him everywhere. Normally, the dogs are supplied trained - but she was able to get some sort of exemption or something to train her own dog and have him accredited.

I think that may airlines in the USA allow travelers to take small dogs in the cabin (in a suitable soft crate/bag). I have frequently heard of Maltese owners flying to pick up a new puppy and then flying back with the puppy in the cabin.

Kinda sad we can't do that here imo.

Guest HarperGD

She has a big-ish dog though - a soft coated wheaten terrier...

I can imagine that would take up a lot of leg room :laugh:

In my opinion, "therapy dog" has to be one of the most abused terms around for selfish dog owner's personal reasons. We've seen good examples of it here in the past.

Someone's over dependence on their pet cheapens the very real work done by trained dogs for folk who rely on them for a range of reasons.

Cheeses me off quite frankly to see access to all areas for such dogs abused by people who just want to take their pets everywhere.

The fact that you love your pet and have issues with separation form it should not of it itself entitle you to special treatment.

Rant over. :laugh:

In my opinion, "therapy dog" has to be one of the most abused terms around for selfish dog owner's personal reasons. We've seen good examples of it here in the past.

Someone's over dependence on their pet cheapens the very real work done by trained dogs for folk who rely on them for a range of reasons.

Cheeses me off quite frankly to see access to all areas for such dogs abused by people who just want to take their pets everywhere.

The fact that you love your pet and have issues with separation form it should not of it itself entitle you to special treatment.

Rant over. :laugh:

Very well said Poodlefan

AGREED!!!!!

That is just not right.

ALL therapy/assistance dogs should only be given that title after assessment and training and a registration with an appropriate organisation.

:( :(

edit to add ......the Doctor should be reprimanded for falsifying records or something . ......

Edited by persephone

While it is good for your friend I wonder if it will be abused too much meaning that it will be stopped and those who have REAL therapy dogs will be disadvantaged.

So sorry, I find it very selfish of your friend :(

Well, that's America for you!

Happens here too, although to a lesser degree.

To me the principle of having your pet called a 'therapy dog' for your convenience is no different to taking a disabled car space because that's convenient to you.

Some people need a wake up call.

Edited by poodlefan

To me the principle of having your pet called a 'therapy dog' for your convenience is no different to taking a disabled car space because that's convenient to you.

Sorry I don't understand at all why this is the case, and did not expect this reaction from the people here. What harm does this do to anyone or anything (ie the dogs)? It's not like a capable person taking the spot of a disabled person and thus depriving them of the resource... Therapy dogs are trained - perhaps not professionally by an accredited association, but if they all had to be, then many more people would have to go without. The fact is there are lots of studies that demonstrate the positive effects of dog ownership, and if you're a little more sensitive to certain things for whatever reason (genetic or due to experiences), having that extra confidence and support from the dog can make the difference between a person being able to live a relatively normal life vs drain our gov systems for welfare etc.

I won't go into detail, but I went through some pretty horrible things a while back, and my dog was like a black hole who could just absorb everything negative and still miraculously pump out positivity. I was refered to professional help by my GP because I didn't want to go on medication, and she quickly realised that the dog was a massive help. She wrote me a letter that meant I could have my dog in lots of social situations where others couldn't - for example at uni etc. We also had a guide dog on campus - there's a huge difference but dogs are amazing like that - they can perform a variety of tasks for their humans.

It was not a guide dog, it was a therapy dog, and it stopped me from needing to go on medication. Time heals most wounds, and sure enough, I have mostly healed, but my dog just bought me that extra time, stopped me failing uni and kept me on track.

The problem is that you have said that the dog is not a therapy dog and that your friend doesn't have problems but it is her way of making sure the dog can be taken everywhere.

Imagine everyone did that and it became a nuisance. So the rules may be changed and places where therapy dogs are currently allowed become anti-dog.

You then have someone who really does need the assistance of a therapy dog but they can no longer take them with them :(

Sorry I don't understand at all why this is the case, and did not expect this reaction from the people here. What harm does this do to anyone or anything (ie the dogs)? It's not like a capable person taking the spot of a disabled person and thus depriving them of the resource... Therapy dogs are trained - perhaps not professionally by an accredited association, but if they all had to be, then many more people would have to go without. The fact is there are lots of studies that demonstrate the positive effects of dog ownership, and if you're a little more sensitive to certain things for whatever reason (genetic or due to experiences), having that extra confidence and support from the dog can make the difference between a person being able to live a relatively normal life vs drain our gov systems for welfare etc.

I won't go into detail, but I went through some pretty horrible things a while back, and my dog was like a black hole who could just absorb everything negative and still miraculously pump out positivity. I was refered to professional help by my GP because I didn't want to go on medication, and she quickly realised that the dog was a massive help. She wrote me a letter that meant I could have my dog in lots of social situations where others couldn't - for example at uni etc. We also had a guide dog on campus - there's a huge difference but dogs are amazing like that - they can perform a variety of tasks for their humans.

It was not a guide dog, it was a therapy dog, and it stopped me from needing to go on medication. Time heals most wounds, and sure enough, I have mostly healed, but my dog just bought me that extra time, stopped me failing uni and kept me on track.

I agree here with Jacqui. Who knows on what grounds the doctor assessed that situation as they did?? When it comes to anxiety or depression you don't necessarily require a pre-trained dog to do the therapeutic job for the owner.

Guest HarperGD

Hmmm yeah so I just reread my original post and realised I kind of made these girls out as selfish dicks. Now I feel bad :(

Anyway, didn't mean to make them sound bad. They're honestly nice girls who love their dogs and who wouldn't manipulate any system for the sake of it. My friend has been a volunteer at a home for disabled teenagers for as long as I've known her, so she has a good heart. Better than a lot of people.

Neither girl suffers from anxiety as I said, but their doctor has had them on anti-depressants for years (there's a looong history of stuff them...) so he must know best and believe they need the security of their dogs when they travel.

Anyway if the airlines accept his letters in the place of any formal therapy dog certificates then that's the company's choice.

So yeah I made them out to sound like smug brats who were manipulating a system and I didn't mean to.

Maybe I'm just jealous because I would put Harper in my pocket and take him everywhere if I could... (but I can't because he's too big now :( )

I'm gonna stop posting provocative threads now that make me sound like I mingle with monsters :laugh:

ALL therapy/assistance dogs should only be given that title after assessment and training and a registration with an appropriate organisation.

In Australia, assistance dogs (AD) when accompanied by their disabled handler have the same rights of access as guide dogs. Technically speaking, it is the person who has right of access, not the dog. Therapy dogs have no rights of access.

The Disability Discrimination Act (a federal Act covering all of Australia) identifies assistance dogs (guide, hearing and assistance) in 3 ways. They are defined as accredited by the state, accredited by an organisation or trained. 'Trained' covers those that are owner trained.

Right or wrong, the DDA does not specify that the dog must be assessed or registered as an AD. The DDA also does not specifiy that the dog must wear an identifying cape or vest. The DDA does not specify what is deemed as an 'appropriate' standard for hygiene and behaviour for a dog working in a public place.

Some states (QLD, VIC and SA) have introduced specific AD laws which do define appropriate behaviour (eg Public Access Test), do require that the dog wear a vest and the handler is issued an ID card. Other states have no specific laws at the moment although WA has a draft policy under review and you can get a Letter of Authority and a handler ID card from them. Dogs from an AD organisation have their own rules on vests and ID cards and it varies from org to org.

Under Section 54A of the DDA, service providers can ask for evidence that the dog is an AD and is trained to the appropriate standard of hygiene and behaviour, but cannot ask for evidence that is unreasonable for the person to obtain. It is the handler's responsibility to ensure that if asked, they can provide evidence because the service provider is legally allowed to refuse access/ service if they can't.

For those worried about non disabled persons abusing the system and claiming their pet dog as an AD, there is a National Assistance Dog Working Group which is working on a national ID system. The proposed national framework is currently being finalised.

Thanks for the info, Dxenion :)

there is a National Assistance Dog Working Group which is working on a national ID system.

Three Cheers.

having worked for many years with dogs as guides and therapy dogs ..and having put a big chunk of my life into careful assessment/training/placement ....so that hopefully the public would not be in any way inconvenienced by a dog's inappropriate behaviour ...and that dogs went to those who they could best benefit... I am just a bit 'tetchy' about pet dogs being labelled as 'therapy' dogs at the drop of a hat , it seems. :o

Guest HarperGD

Just reread the email from my friend telling me about it. She says her dog is registered through this organisation in the USA : http://www.nsarco.com/

If you can do it over there legally and no one is getting disadvantaged then I say why not.

Thanks for the info, Dxenion :)

there is a National Assistance Dog Working Group which is working on a national ID system.

Three Cheers.

having worked for many years with dogs as guides and therapy dogs ..and having put a big chunk of my life into careful assessment/training/placement ....so that hopefully the public would not be in any way inconvenienced by a dog's inappropriate behaviour ...and that dogs went to those who they could best benefit... I am just a bit 'tetchy' about pet dogs being labelled as 'therapy' dogs at the drop of a hat , it seems. :o

I don't believe that the label of therapy dog allows the dog to cause problems to anyone else. My interpretation of the university policies (which was really the only place I took him that dogs weren't typically allowed) was that I was allowed to have him with me to serve as a substitute for medication so long as he was not affecting anyone else's right to quiet enjoyment etc. He just used to lay at my feet, and give the occasional, yet amazingly well timed exasperated sigh that had everyone laughing. He's a big dog, around 29 inches, so his sighs are quite loud and were audible throughout the lecture theatre.

He had completed advanced obedience training and people loved running him through his tricks - but he just seemed to learn on his own what was required in terms of helping me. If anything I think he was doing a good thing for dogs around Australia - people realised what you could achieve through training (a loyal and 100% dedicated companion), and also just how wonderful a doberman could be. People used to say that they thought he had a soul and you could tell from his eyes - he was very popular there by the end.