Paw Licking

ludwig09

Hi all,

Our 2 mini schnauzers have started constantly licking their paws suddenly. Their is no sign of irratation, sores or anything. We have just moved into a new property and I think it may be the grass. Does this sound right? I noticed this afternoon when they walked on it they limped but walked normal on the concrete. I have started washing their feet when they come inside, this helps a little. What else can we do? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks for listening.

A & A

Schnauzer lovers

Sounds like the grass. Quite a few dogs have a grass allergy. Mine is funny - she is fine on couch - allergic to kikuyu. I had my grass changed over to couch (a small patch, that was pretty patchy anyway). She's been fine since. I avoid it on walks and will no longer do 'down stays' at obedience for any length of time as the grass there is kikuyu.

Washing their feet will help, but keeping them off it altogether will be best.

it may not be the grass- it may be prickles IN the grass/lawn . Dogs should not limp on grass!! BUT they WILL limp if there are some sort of prickly seeds in there ;)is it a proper lawn- all nicely even & mowed & smooth? Or is it grass which looks as if needs attention ? run your bare hands over patches where you see them limping.. and see if it does feel prickly ....