Puppy Sit

Obi has the sloppiest puppy sit ever. When he was a little puppy, I didn't care, I figured he would grow out of it. But he didn't. He turned 1 yesterday, and it's worse than ever.

His sit/stay is pretty solid, so it's not like it really matters, but it just looks horrible. Any suggestions for fixing it? I have tried luring him forward and rewarding when he sits properly, I have tried shaping him forward and I have physically positioned him and then rewarded, but it only lasts 1-2 seconds and then he rolls back. I have also tried python lifts to get him to shift more weight forward, but that doesn't seem to work.

He does have really bad luxating patellas, could that have something to do with it?

Kyojin has just turned one as well and also still sits like a puppy - he also has really bad luxating patellas as well, so maybe that is what is causing both our dogs to still sit this way?

How long can he maitain a straight sit for? Can you get him to do a straight sit along side you and a wall? This will help teach muscle memory.. and you could try and get him to do this for his dinner.. Just a thought

How long can he maitain a straight sit for? Can you get him to do a straight sit along side you and a wall? This will help teach muscle memory.. and you could try and get him to do this for his dinner.. Just a thought

He does sit straight next to me, but he rolls back on his haunches while sitting. So the wall doesn't help unfortunately.

Have u tried treating him higher up so he has to sit straight and tall to get the treat??

My dog has a shocking sit but he has no medical issues

I have gotten him to sit, then lured him forward a bit, and that works, but only while the treat is right in front of his nose.

It might be that it's a lot more comfortable to sit with his knees relaxed if he has luxating patellas. Sitting properly would put more stress on the knees like for a human - squatting with your feet on the ground vs sitting with your bum on the ground with legs out in front. Squatting is more stressful on the knees.

It might be possible to train up muscles to be stronger and compensate ie you start with lots of very short sits and build duration slowly as the muscles get stronger. I'd want to check with a vet or dog physio about that first though. It's also possible that asking for a squat-sit could make the knees worse - I don't know one way or the other.

It might be that it's a lot more comfortable to sit with his knees relaxed if he has luxating patellas. Sitting properly would put more stress on the knees like for a human - squatting with your feet on the ground vs sitting with your bum on the ground with legs out in front. Squatting is more stressful on the knees.

It might be possible to train up muscles to be stronger and compensate ie you start with lots of very short sits and build duration slowly as the muscles get stronger. I'd want to check with a vet or dog physio about that first though. It's also possible that asking for a squat-sit could make the knees worse - I don't know one way or the other.

True, I will check with his vet, just to make sure.

Maybe do some perch work to train better back end awareness?

We have done a lot of perch work, and his rear end awareness is really good.

Edited by fuzzy82