Racing Whippet Breeders

GeckoTree

People still race them, DOLers have shown piccies here of Whippet fun days where they have had races. I'm not any are bred specifically for racing though....I think it's a fun thing that they do not like an actual ongoing sport like Greyhounds?

There are groups in QLD racing whippets. I'm not sure if this info is out of date, but you could contact the clubs and see if they can put you in contact with racing breeders.

South East Queensland Whippet Racing Club Inc.

Secretary: Ellen Beechey

109 Raceview Avenue

Hendra, Qld 4011

[email protected]

(07) 3268 4386

Queensland Whippet Racing Club

Secretary: V. Wilmot

19 Louise Street

Waterford West, 4133

Queensland, Australia

Phone: +61 07 3200 4701

Website: http://www.whippet.20m.com - This is an excellent site with good pictures and club information. The club is also planning to add video mpegs of their races to the site soon

In Victoria there are breeders of non pedigree lines who've been racing and breeding from those dogs for generations. It doesn't guarantee a faster whippet though. There was a bloke who had both peds and non peds and he had some beautiful and fast dogs, but he got out of it a few years back and sold his dogs. I would guess they are probably in pet or hunting homes now if there's any left. The racing whippet club itself has declined in numbers over the last few years so there aren't alot of dogs like that around now.

It might be worth you contacting them http://www.wrcv.asn.au/Committee.html

I'd probably speak to Carol.

I should just clarify, there are also pedigree whippet owners who raced their whippets, I was one of them, but generally the pedigrees aren't quite as fast as the non pedigree race bred whippets. They often look different too, some racing whippets were very flat backed, like a shrunk down greyhound, and others were very "bulky" looking, not all, but some. I remember some lines had piggy little eyes too, I wasn't keen on those ones :laugh:

You dont have to buy a racing whippet to race one though, if you have a pedigree and there's a racing club in Qld I'm sure they'd welcome you. It's fun, give it a go. My whippets were from generations of show dogs and they loved it. When I told their breeders how well they did they were both surprised and proud. :D

another edit, there was an incredibly fast pedigree whippet who came from Qld and gave the non peds a run for their money, I believe he was bred by DOLs Oakway! A black and white dog that was very intense, I remember when he was put in the holding kennels, as the lure went past he started jumping straight up in the air with such force he nearly tore the roof off the kennel.

Edited by Kirislin

Thank you Krisislin for kind words about the Oakway's also racing as well as they are shown.

I believe any whippet is capable of fulfilling its job either in the show ring, the coursing field, the race track or out hunting.

They also fill the position as family pet in a great way.

A very versatile breed indeed.