Breeding Contempt - No-sale Pups Left At Pound

Teebs

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/breeding-contempt-nosale-pups-left-at-pound/2234207.aspx

AMATEUR dog breeders intent on making easy money are dumping puppies they can’t sell at the RSPCA, overloading the busy animal shelter.

RSPCA staff estimate more than half of the 450 puppies dumped in the past financial year ended up at the shelter as a result of an ill-conceived breeding scheme.

RSPCA Orange manager Jenny Chapman said people often surrendered the last few puppies from a litter they hadn’t managed to sell.

“Some people think there’s big money in breeding but they don’t take into account the big money it costs for their upkeep,” she said.

“It’s more expensive than they realise.”

Costs would-be breeders fail to budget for include vaccination and worming, food, bedding and the extra food the female dog needs to consume in order to feed her puppies.

Mrs Chapman said while there were still a lot of people who ended up with accidental litters because they neglected to get their dog desexed, there were others who just “thought they’d make money out of it”.

“We’ve also had people keep one puppy and surrender the mother and the rest of the puppies,” she said.

RSPCA team leader Marissa Clifford said surrendered puppies represented a variety of different breeds.

“There are a lot of the breeds that are popular at the moment and we see a lot of those [puppies] here as well.”

Mrs Chapman said representatives from the RSPCA’s education department in Sydney were stunned by the number of puppies surrendered in Orange and said it outnumbered the amount surrendered in Sydney.

Mrs Clifford said dogs weren’t the only animals targeted by disreputable backyard breeders, with animals such as rabbits and cats also being surrendered to the RSPCA when they didn’t sell.

* There is no suggestion that the puppies in this picture were deliberately bred to sell.

“Some people think there’s big money in breeding but they don’t take into account the big money it costs for their upkeep,” she said.

“It’s more expensive than they realise.”

Costs would-be breeders fail to budget for include vaccination and worming, food, bedding and the extra food the female dog needs to consume in order to feed her puppies.

:banghead: & the rest !!!!

Does this mean that the RSPCA actually have half an idea what a reputable ANKC registered breeder goes through to produce a litter ? I don't think they have half a clue. A ANKC registered breeder in the area needs to write a letter of response to this papaer - listing ALL the costs involved point by point - just to make the point.

Its not just amateur breeders. Pet shops do it too with animals that are not selling.

That is the lucky ones. Others are disposed of by other methods.

How do they know exactly the reason they are surrendered ?

Do they ask people & this is what they say ? I bred this litter to make some money but it didn't work ?

Or is this guesswork & assumption ?

There have always been accidental matings & resulting pups left there long before this designer dog, mongrel, lets make some $'s fad. I wonder how dumpage & euthanasia rates compare with say 20 years ago ? Any data available ?

I wonder how dumpage & euthanasia rates compare with say 20 years ago ? Any data available ?

that would be incredibly interesting to find that out. i just remember that the shelters weren't full like it is now, as a kid i use to work for the local RSPCA. i believe 20 years ago the figure would be much lower compared to now, DD's weren't off the ground then. i just believe all this DD breeding for money has bumped up the number we see in shelters now overall.

I believe they do ask people why they are dumping their dogs, i tried to save a SBT a few years ago and they told me the owners filled out a form and a list of reasons the dog was dumped and she was not able to be rehomed

Not sure what other answers are on the sheet though

i tried to save a SBT a few years ago and they told me the owners filled out a form and a list of reasons the dog was dumped and she was not able to be rehomed

Got to wonder then why they took the dog if it couldn't be rehomed, why not make it the owner's responsibility to have their dog PTS are their own expense if it isn't a candidate for rehoming - yes I know that in the real world the owners probably would have just chucked it out of the car or tied it somewhere to die a horrible death.

Makes me so angry that some people can even think of taking their dog to the "shelter" like they'd take rubbish to the dump.

Also I know it's no excuse for exploitation, but heaps of people are finding life in the material world real hard atm and are looking at all sorts of ways to make a quick buck in breeding animals at profit, ie no expence but the dams milk..

It's real sad some feel the need to help create another life for a few bucks then dump them when the penny drops they aint going to make a cent.

i tried to save a SBT a few years ago and they told me the owners filled out a form and a list of reasons the dog was dumped and she was not able to be rehomed

Got to wonder then why they took the dog if it couldn't be rehomed, why not make it the owner's responsibility to have their dog PTS are their own expense if it isn't a candidate for rehoming - yes I know that in the real world the owners probably would have just chucked it out of the car or tied it somewhere to die a horrible death.

Makes me so angry that some people can even think of taking their dog to the "shelter" like they'd take rubbish to the dump.

At least it's slightly better than what I used to encounter as a child (I'm 50) when I went out exploring and adventuring (kids did in those days without their parents going insane worrying about them like I did with mine!) I'd often find a cardboard box on the side of the road, with dead puppies just left to die. :cry:

Its not just amateur breeders. Pet shops do it too with animals that are not selling.

That is the lucky ones. Others are disposed of by other methods.

Do they ask people & this is what they say ? I bred this litter to make some money but it didn't work ?

Or is this guesswork & assumption ?

There have always been accidental matings & resulting pups left there long before this designer dog, mongrel, lets make some $'s fad. I wonder how dumpage & euthanasia rates compare with say 20 years ago ? Any data available ?

There is data from 10 years ago.

And the RSPCA is doing no more (actually less)

than it did then.

AUSTRALIA WIDE RSPCA BRANCHES AND SHELTERS 1999-2000

DOGS RECEIVED - 67,204

EUTHANISED - 26,339 (39.2%)

REHOMED - 21,415 (31.9%)

RECLAIMED - 15,323 (22.8%)

AUSTRALIA WIDE RSPCA BRANCHES AND SHELTERS 2009 - 2010

DOGS RECEIVED - 68,746

EUTHANISED - 20, 177 (29.4%)

REHOMED - 19,007 (27.6%)

RECLAIMED - 24,223 (35.2%)

** RSPCA killed less dogs not as a result of rspca 'work' but because more owners reclaimed their pets.

RSPCA actually rehomed LESS dogs in 2009-2010 than in 1999-2000.

RSPCA NSW deserve a special mention of merit

in 1999-2000 they received 20,631 dogs, killed 44.7% of them and Rehomed 36.5%.

Ten years later

despite all the chicken littles ...

RSPCA NSW received 20,619 dogs [they transferred 709 to other non RSPCA facilities],

killed 40.5% of them and rehomed 24.8%.

Those statistics are crazy!! What do they do with all the euthanised animals? :confused:

In Tasmania, the bodies are disposed of in landfill (although as far as I know, in an area set aside for that purpose, not just tossed in with household rubbish).

Just recently on out local buy trade sell page there was an ad for two puppies free to good home, multi working dog type cross.

After a few weeks they put that the puppies were now in the pound as they had no choice, they couldn't find homes for them so had no choice.

It was very difficult for me not to go off at them. Yes they had many choices, not to breed in the first place, keep them until they found homes, or euth them themselves.

At no time did they feel that they should do that, oh I couldn't put them down, so I will give them to the pound. We do have very good rangers here int he fact they will keep them longer and try very hard to find them homes, but how bloody irresponsible are people. Clean up your own bloody mess!

Just recently on out local buy trade sell page there was an ad for two puppies free to good home, multi working dog type cross.

After a few weeks they put that the puppies were now in the pound as they had no choice, they couldn't find homes for them so had no choice.

It was very difficult for me not to go off at them. Yes they had many choices, not to breed in the first place, keep them until they found homes, or euth them themselves.

At no time did they feel that they should do that, oh I couldn't put them down, so I will give them to the pound. We do have very good rangers here int he fact they will keep them longer and try very hard to find them homes, but how bloody irresponsible are people. Clean up your own bloody mess!

Or they could have picked up the phone and driven them to one of our carers :( Is this recently or would they be gone now OSO