Leading Raw

Saw this Raw diet advertised that is produced by Guide Dogs QLD called 'leading RAW' GDQ rave about how it's improved the health of their dogs and lowered their healthcare costs by 82%

I currently have Boonie on Eukanuba but have been more and more tempted to give this a go.

Has anyone had any experience in using this - bad and good reviews?

no experience whatsoever- but just G88gled it - here's a LINK to what's inside.

yeah I was browsing this site and caught that - my only problem being I'm not a nutritionist and wouldn't have a clue if this is good or not. As of yet Boonie has thrived on Eukanuba but he's at the age now where we are going to take him off of the puppy and go to the adult - and thought that maybe this is an alternative.

We really went for Eukanuba in the first place on Vet's advice and other peoples.

Only since on here that I've really read much discussion on diets and raw feed - we just thought we were doing right by Boonie by not feeding him PAL.

whatever you do - you need to do it gradually .. to avoid tummy upsets ! So 2/3 current food- 1/3 new food for a few days .. then slightly less old food, more new food, etc...

:thumbsup: we had to do that when changing what our breeder had Boon on as a wee pup.

I think I may give one batch a go and see how he goes. It's $19 for 3kgs which I think if my math is correct is less than the Eukanuba anyways.

Saw this Raw diet advertised that is produced by Guide Dogs QLD called 'leading RAW' GDQ rave about how it's improved the health of their dogs and lowered their healthcare costs by 82%

I currently have Boonie on Eukanuba but have been more and more tempted to give this a go.

If you want a top quality, all natural dog food which is heaps cheaper than Eukanuba, why don't you try Black Hawk...plenty of raves about that on DOL :thumbsup:

If you want a top quality, all natural dog food which is heaps cheaper than Eukanuba, why don't you try Black Hawk...plenty of raves about that on DOL :thumbsup:

Cheers will do - to be honest the price wasn't a big issue - maybe if it was dearer than Euk I may have thought about it. But I kind of like the idea of helping out Guide Dogs QLD whilst also giving Boonie the right stuff.

whatever you do - you need to do it gradually .. to avoid tummy upsets ! So 2/3 current food- 1/3 new food for a few days .. then slightly less old food, more new food, etc...

With respect persephone but when switching a dog to raw FROM dry,it's best to fast them for 24 hours before feeding.

This acidifies the gut,if you keep adding dry you are asking for stomach upsets.

My new Bracco came out of Quarantine a few weeks back,he had been raised solely on Eukanuba Puppy. He did'nt get his am feed that day,and had his dinner that night with his 5 Vizsla brothers here.

He is on K9 Natural,so a similar product to what is being talked about here.

We did one protein for 4 days,no issues,added another protein for 4 days,no issue and then another protein for 4 days,no issue. He started to get bones about 5 days in.

So a few weeks on he eats whatever is going for that day,Venison,Chicken,Beef,Lamb ,Fish etc etc.

I haven't used the Leading RAW brand myself. I have fed the BARF & Big Dog patties for 16 months & I think from my understanding, all three brands are produced by the same company.

When I have gone to purchase & asked what the difference is I was told that BARF Big Dog patties have a higher vegetable & bone content than Leading RAW but Leading RAW's patty varieties cater for more different lifestages. Leading RAW is tad more expensive & I have been very happy with Jangels health & development on BARF so have stuck with that brand. I also buy the BARF growth in 2kg rolls which is exactly the same fomula as the patties, but less exspensive, for our 4 month old puppy.

The actual factory has store front that I purchase from & produces BARF/Big Dog patties sells the Leading Raw there too at discount prices for a bulk purchase. If you have freezer space you can save considerably.

As an example the boxes of BARF patties are $17 for a 3kg box of 12 x 250 g patties if you buy 4 boxes. We go there & stock up once a month.

A lady I talk to at the dog park put me on to Big Dog Pet Foods at Lawnton and she feeds her 2 Goldies Leading Raw & is very happy with the results.

Every single observation GDQ have made about the improvements from feeding RAW v dry I have seen for myself. I would also add one more, less shedding.

So whatever raw brand you choose, if you decide to go this way, you won't look back imo.

Hope this has helped.

Edited by jakeyjangels

I haven't used the Leading RAW brand myself. I have fed the BARF & Big Dog patties for 16 months & I think from my understanding, all three brands are produced by the same company.

When I have gone to purchase & asked what the difference is I was told that BARF Big Dog patties have a higher vegetable & bone content than Leading RAW but Leading RAW's patty varieties cater for more different lifestages. Leading RAW is tad more expensive & I have been very happy with Jangels health & development on BARF so have stuck with that brand. I also buy the BARF growth in 2kg rolls which is exactly the same fomula as the patties, but less exspensive, for our 4 month old puppy.

The actual factory has store front that I purchase from & produces BARF/Big Dog patties sells the Leading Raw there too at discount prices for a bulk purchase. If you have freezer space you can save considerably.

As an example the boxes of BARF patties are $17 for a 3kg box of 12 x 250 g patties if you buy 4 boxes. We go there & stock up once a month.

A lady I talk to at the dog park put me on to Big Dog Pet Foods at Lawnton and she feeds her 2 Goldies Leading Raw & is very happy with the results.

Every single observation GDQ have made about the improvements from feeding RAW v dry I have seen for myself. I would also add one more, less shedding.

So whatever raw brand you choose, if you decide to go this way, you won't look back imo.

Hope this has helped.

excellent - this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

we have a chest freezer just begging to be filled up - so I assume it's ok to freeze?

Yes fine to freeze as it is sold frozen. :) We bought a 2nd hand chest freezer just before Jangels arrived specifically for this reason as his breeder highly recommended feeding raw. Wouldn't be without it now :) They also sell turkey necks, chicken necks etc frozen in 10kg bags really cheap. I throw the bag on the concrete to seperate enough for a few nights meals.

Hope this has helped.

excellent - this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

we have a chest freezer just begging to be filled up - so I assume it's ok to freeze?

Edited by jakeyjangels

yes perfect to freeze as all products are sold frozen. As we were advised by Jangels (& now also Louis's) breeder/s to feed raw we purchased a 2nd hand chest freezer before Jangels arrived.

Wouldn't be without it now :) Doesn't take long for 2 Labs to empty it :laugh:

They also sell, frozen, turkey, chicken necks etc in 10kg bags fairly cheaply which I just throw on the concrete to seperate enough for a few meals.

Bit more fussing around to feed raw but well worth it for the results IMO

yes perfect to freeze as all products are sold frozen. As we were advised by Jangels (& now also Louis's) breeder/s to feed raw we purchased a 2nd hand chest freezer before Jangels arrived.

They also sell, frozen, turkey, chicken necks etc in 10kg bags fairly cheaply which I just throw on the concrete to seperate enough for a few meals.

would I be right in thinking 2 of those 230g packets a day for a 31kg male?

would I be right in thinking 2 of those 230g packets a day for a 31kg male?

Yes sounds right but look at the recommended feeding on the carton of Leading Raw. My 33 kg male gets 1 patty, extra minced vegies & a couple of chicken necks for the main meal.

But I am trying to get him to loose a couple of kgs :laugh:

Yes sounds right but look at the recommended feeding on the carton of Leading Raw. My 33 kg male gets 1 patty, extra minced vegies & a couple of chicken necks for the main meal.

But I am trying to get him to loose a couple of kgs :laugh:

Will do - I tend to feed under the recommended on the packet anyway (I find they're overstated - plus he'll get treats and a couple of bones a week).

Boonie's food got cut a little in the last couple of days - he was out of action for a week or so unwell, so a kilo has to go.