Breed Nicknames

I have a question about 'nicknames' for breeds. We have Dobes, Tollers, Goldens, Borders, Cavs, Chis, Labs, Berners, Poms etc.

Then we get to 'Staffy', which I've always understood as the common nickname for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Then I arrived on DOL and kept reading references to 'Stafford' being the "official nickname" for the SBT and "Staffy' denoting the crossbreed variety one finds at the pound. It's repeated so often and so emphatically it makes it look as though there is some formal reasoning behind it. This is made me very curious about what the basis is for the official nickname - is there a breed standard/kennel guideline/breeder code of conduct that mandates that the official nickname must be 'Stafford' and not 'Staffy'? Is it an international naming convention or is it just a DOL convention? While nomenclature is of course very important, I'd always assumed that as far as 'nicknames' and short names were concerned, these were informal appelations that arose from common usage and convenience. 'Staffy' is entirely consistent with other 'nicknames' e.g.

Tibby

Sheltie

Rotty

Westie

Frenchie

Coolie

Kelpie

Corgi

Lappie

Aussie

Pitty

Sammy

Iggy

Dally

I don't think I've ever read a similar statement that any of the above has the somewhat pejorative connotation of being a crossbreed.

Edited by koalathebear

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No but I don't think any of those other breeds have suffered cross and backyard breeding in recent times to the extend that the SBT has. So maybe breeders and fanciers get a little defensive in wanting to maintain distance from those activities?

I know SBT breeders that use the term Staffy.

I believe a number of breeders have elected to use the short form Stafford to distinguish themselves from the BYBers pumping out badly bred, barely resembling, bred for colour dogs who advertise as having 'Staffys for sale'.

I've noticed the Staffy/Stafford thing too. Also seen a similar thing with Husky vs Siberian, again the registered breeders trying to distance themselves from the shonky bred dogs? not sure.

My favorite nickname for a breed is the Borzoi shortened to Zoi, beautiful dogs!

You forgot one on your list..,

Norty (Springer) :D

Sorry - can't answer your question!

Ha! I have to say English Springer Spaniel is such a long name, I have been wondering what they are called for short :laugh: I met the cutest ESS pup on Sunday - he got along so well with Hoover.

I believe a number of breeders have elected to use the short form Stafford to distinguish themselves from the BYBers pumping out badly bred, barely resembling, bred for colour dogs who advertise as having 'Staffys for sale'.

So it's just a preferred convention rather than a formal naming standard.

Edited by koalathebear

Chiming in the 'husky' debate here :)

Husky can be used as an interchangeable term for sled dogs.

At races you'll meet people with purebred siberians as well as alaskan huskies which are a different kettle of fish altogether.

So I guess it's easier to say I have a sibe or a siberian. ( But it sounds less cool in my display name :p )

Bad explanation but you get the idea

Chiming in the 'husky' debate here :)

Husky can be used as an interchangeable term for sled dogs.

At races you'll meet people with purebred siberians as well as alaskan huskies which are a different kettle of fish altogether.

So I guess it's easier to say I have a sibe or a siberian. ( But it sounds less cool in my display name :p )

Bad explanation but you get the idea

Oh that's interesting. I had always assumed it was a country-thing because all my North American friends always referred to their dogs as Sibes whereas over here, people I knew called them huskies. :o

*cough* aren't they usually described as "Staffy's" ? :D The errant apostrophe is the hallmark of the BYB

Papillons are commonly known as "Pappys"

Whippets == "Whippys" :D

OK I will believe the first one but is a whippet really called a whippy??? :laugh:

:laugh: if you go into the All things Whippet thread you will see everybody seems to say Whippy :laugh:

you think that is a bit weird, a friend calls my Whippet "Snake dog" dont ask :rofl:

Edited by murve

Nothing gets my back up more than when people refer to Pugs as Puggles.

Isn't a puggle a DD variant? Given that pug is such a short name already, you wouldn't think that it needed a nickname!!! I've read that a baby pug is called a puglet though ... ?

Papillons are commonly known as "Pappys"

Whippets == "Whippys" :D

OK I will believe the first one but is a whippet really called a whippy??? :laugh:

:laugh: if you go into the All things Whippet thread you will see everybody seems to say Whippy :laugh:

I just refer to my 4 as "The Whips".

I have this thing about just adding a y or ie to names, ie Ridgy, Pappy, Goldie, Staffy, Frenchie, Westie. LOL. Does my head in. So it's just "The Whips" at our house. :D