Pulling On The Lead...and Runny....

Lemmys Mum

Lemmy our 6month old, Mini Aussie bulldog was great ont he lead for the first 3 weeks we had him, now on the final strech home, he pulls on the lead so much he is on his back legs....Im not sure if he knows the route now and knows we are close to home and gets excited. I have been changing the walking route often (as he gets walked 3 times a days) but there is really only two options home and as soon as we hit the st we live on (or get close to the st)he knows, and starts pulling. In the past 2 days i have been holding the leash close by my side, so he walks beside me and when he starts pulling i say 'back' and gently tug on the lead, if he stays by my side for a few mins i reward hi with a treat...Does any one have any other tips for this. On the last stretch he is not interested in anythign i have to say or treats!!

Also in the past week, his poos have been very soft, runny even. We are feeding him biscuits in the morning (9ish) and a mixture of lamb/rice balls, rice and raw beef at night. As a first time dog owver I was wondering what the 'dog owners etiquette' was when picking up dog poos when walking, when they are runny.... gross topic i know, but what do you do? I feel you can't just leave it there? Pick up as much as you can in a plastic bag???...hmmmm

Thanks for any tips...

Re: the runny poos....what are you using for treats. Liver treats will give some dogs the scoots. For pulling on the lead there are a couple of things you can use with your training, but you have to be consistant. When he pulls, stop & wait till he turns & looks at you, click & treat then continue, he pull, you stop, he looks at you etc. The other is when he pulls, stop & take a step backwards & only continue on immediately the lead slackens off. Another method is when he pulls, do a sharp turn & walk the other way. All methods mean that at first you wont get far on your walk :thumbsup: but be consistant, & to be fair to the dog, start off in a place with no distractions & as he masters that move on to a more distracting spot. If he is too overwhelmed & not responding, then you need to go back to a less distracting spot. Good idea to have a FRONT attached body harness on him as well as his collar, so you can walk him in this when you get tired & it wont be negative to his collar & lead training. Good Luck...this is still a work in motion with me & my new pup, but we are getting there, I just have to remember to put him in his harness so I can switch when things get too exciting, otherwise our training goes backwards. ;)

In regaards to poo - always pick up what you can, the only thing worse than stepping in dog poo is stepping in runny dog poo. It makes a good impression on everyone else if you do the right/legal thing and hopefully gives dogs a better profile.

As for pulling on the lead, I play red light green light. If the dog is walking nicely on lead it has a green light (go, keep walking), if they start pulling then they get a red light (stop, there is no movement until they stop pullin). As soon as they stop pulling then you start walking, of course you may only get 1 or 2 steps to start with!!! If they keep pulling when you've stopped I usually wait for a little bit to see if they will choose to stop pulling, but if they don't then I call them and turn and take 3 or 4 steps in the opposite direction and then turn around again to head the way I was wanting to go. It's a slow process, but you do start to see improvement quite quickly. My puppy school trainer told me that she spent 1 session with her pup walking around an oval using red light green light, it took her 2 hours to get around the oval - but after that she had a dog that didn't pull on the lead!!!

sounds like you need to enrol at a dog obedience class ... that way you can be shown ways to handle your pup :) and you may also need to change some things in your dog's diet.

What exactly does he eat?

brand of dry food , treats, cuts of lamb/beef - any bones ..table scraps?

I own a dog with ongoing runny poo problems. :eek:

It would be good to work out what is causing it. In the meantime take extra poo bags and a few sheets of paper towel when you walk him.

You can double bag your hand like a glove and use the paper towel to scrape up the poo as much as possible. :o

I always clean up after my dog. It's a pet hate of mine when people don't (though I understand your predicament with runny ones!) I really don't understand when I see a perfectly "normal" poo (that I WISH my dog would do) that would have been so easy to clean up!

Best to enrol in some dog training classes so you and Lemmy (love his name!) can learn together.

Beef is very rich- if his stools are too loose, bland chicken and rice for a few days and slowly reintroduce the regular foods over a week or so.

you need a quick lesson in the effective use of a correction chain.

The soft poos could be due to quite a few things, excitement is one of them. A friend has an amstaff who gets diahrrea when out running about at a dog park but fine at home.

you need a quick lesson in the effective use of a correction chain.

The soft poos could be due to quite a few things, excitement is one of them. A friend has an amstaff who gets diahrrea when out running about at a dog park but fine at home.

Thank you Nekhbet. I think you've just hit the nail on the head for my dog there. My dog usually gets the worst diahorrea while excited and out in public! :o

And to the OP, one of the other things that causes the runs for my pup is rawhide. I had been giving him those compressed 'bones' made of rawhide to gnaw on but am now going to look into deer antlers. :)