Undescended Testicle

Atanquin

hi took my baby Zorro in for his last injection today when he had his health check the vet said he could only feel one testicle he said the other had not descended yet. he said at 12 weeks its not an issue it still has time but he said it may not descend and he will only drop one testicle ( he also said that he has said that before and went to desex the dog only to find i had suddenly dropped). now he told me that this is normal genetic and to contact my breeder about it but im not sure he is only 12 weeks i was thinking of waiting a while to see what would happen in case he is a late bloomer :confused: just wondering what other peoples thoughts where on the matter?

( i hope it does drop i wanted to do agility and obedience with him he has a great little personality fantastic lines and beautiful conformation so if he did do well in his sport i would breed from him)

he is such a smart lad we already know sit,come,lye down,shake,speak and starting on roll over :thumbsup:

post-39670-0-23032000-1310983438_thumb.jpg

If it was me I'd let the breeder know what the vet has said but also say if you're not that worried and are happy to take the vet's advice and wait. My boy had both testes undescended and by 6 months of age only one had dropped so he had to have inguinal surgury to find the other one and remove it. From what I understand most do actually drop naturally. Just make a point of checking and making sure if it doesn't come down that you do desex as I understand it is quite dangerous for the health of the dog to leave it in situ.

btw very very cute puppy.

At 12 weeks, as long as you can clearly feel both, without having to dig to China, then I would not worry. They will drop down. If you cannot feel one of them, then there is a chance it wont come down on its own.

He found it in the abdomen didn't take long but said there was a chance it won't :( he is to young to desex and didn't want to de desex him but if it doesn't drop then I will have to ( because it can cause cancer) which I don't want he also said I could wait until he was 12 months before he desexed him if that was the case.

You don't need to rush to desex undescended testes, but just remember that you should do it eventually. Undescended testes are far more likely to turn cancerous due to the increased temperature that they are at in the abdomen.

My boy was a cryptorchid, and it just meant that his desexing was more like a female 'spay' than a straight forward castration. No big deal apart from the not breeding thing, which wasn't an issue for me.

As well as what others have mentioned, I do believe that undescended testes are known to have a chance of being hereditary (correct me if I'm wrong), so if his testicles don't descend by 12 months then I would think twice about breeding him.

Kyojin had the same issue. His second testicle hadn't come down by the time we got him desexed at 7 months. Other than the risk of cancer, our vet also said that if we were to breed with Kyojin (which we were never considering) it would definitely be passed on. I can't remember how long the vet said is fairly normal to wait for them to drop, but he did say that there was no real rush to desex him.

I disagree to a degree about being in a rush to desex. A friend had a pup with one undecended teste and it was already going cancerous when he was desexed at 10 months old, vet advised it could have gone nasty if they had waited any longer.

Of course, it could just be your pup sucked one back up while at the vets, have you checked him when he is relaxed at home?

Yep still just one and I found the other one alto I think it's down a bit more I will just do what my vet said I will keep and eye on it and get him a check up at 6 months if it's not dropped and go from there I have let the breeder know and told her I was keeping an eye on it