If You Had A Puppy......

Must add we have started our pup on Puppy Jumping by Susan Salo (also available from Clean Run) which uses stride regulators not jumps. Foundation work for agility covers all sorts of things, but just to mention a few.....focus work..recall..shaping using a clicker...reliable stays (not moving even a paw)...tugging..learning no to cross behind you...distractions...leave it..driving forward..learning what "out" means followed by "come"...& heaps, heaps more. Clean Run still have their "The Focused Puppy" on free postage at the moment & this is a great place to start. Here is the link http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2502&ParentCat=449. If you wanted it, I wouldn't waste any time in ordering, as it has been up there on free postage for a long time now, & could be removed at anytime ;) A great book if you don't know where to start.

Must add we have started our pup on Puppy Jumping by Susan Salo (also available from Clean Run) which uses stride regulators not jumps. Foundation work for agility covers all sorts of things, but just to mention a few.....focus work..recall..shaping using a clicker...reliable stays (not moving even a paw)...tugging..learning no to cross behind you...distractions...leave it..driving forward..learning what "out" means followed by "come"...& heaps, heaps more. Clean Run still have their "The Focused Puppy" on free postage at the moment & this is a great place to start. Here is the link http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2502&ParentCat=449. If you wanted it, I wouldn't waste any time in ordering, as it has been up there on free postage for a long time now, & could be removed at anytime ;) A great book if you don't know where to start.

Thanks Sheena. I have just ordered this book. Free postage saves heaps!!!! Now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive :D

so what would foundation work for obedience include?

Lots of shaping games, focus work, perch work, lots of games to try and get pup to find several things rewarding (food, toys, interacting with you), keeping things fun!

Sue, I'm happy to show you some fun stuff in person one day :) Although, I think you will have some good people around you to help out!

Em had foundation work with 3 sports in mind - I loved The Focussed Puppy and there was fun stuff in there for puppies of all descriptions. I also did lots of fun recalls, 2 food game, playing rough and breaking off (between Em and me and between Em and Zig), steady feet (priceless for retrieving, obedience and agility!), clicker training, shaping, taught a 'ready?' cue and a release cue etc. Find out all the things that are important to your pup and use them as rewards (food, toys, tugging, retrieving, going outside, playing off leash, having a drink, going in the car, playing with another dog, sniffing and exploring etc etc). Use a VERY high reward schedule. Especially when you start to teach something like heel work - that position has to be the best place in the world! Something I consider very important is engaging 100% with pup for 30 sec (for example) and then giving them a release cue to relax - then whenever you say 'ready?' pup is willing to give you 100% attention as well. I see so many people when training or trialling that turn their backs on their dogs (more figuratively) to talk to someone or when they make a mistake. The dog takes that as a cue to relax and start getting distracted in the middle of a training session, which becomes very self rewarding. Even between runs at an agility trial Zig understands whether he can relax and sniff and pee or tug and warm up in preparation for our next run. Does that make sense? Oh, and if you don't look/feel like a complete dill playing with your puppy you're not trying hard enough :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Sue, I'm happy to show you some fun stuff in person one day :) Although, I think you will have some good people around you to help out!

Em had foundation work with 3 sports in mind - I loved The Focussed Puppy and there was fun stuff in there for puppies of all descriptions. I also did lots of fun recalls, 2 food game, playing rough and breaking off (between Em and me and between Em and Zig), steady feet (priceless for retrieving, obedience and agility!), clicker training, shaping, taught a 'ready?' cue and a release cue etc. Find out all the things that are important to your pup and use them as rewards (food, toys, tugging, retrieving, going outside, playing off leash, having a drink, going in the car, playing with another dog, sniffing and exploring etc etc). Use a VERY high reward schedule. Especially when you start to teach something like heel work - that position has to be the best place in the world! Something I consider very important is engaging 100% with pup for 30 sec (for example) and then giving them a release cue to relax - then whenever you say 'ready?' pup is willing to give you 100% attention as well. I see so many people when training or trialling that turn their backs on their dogs (more figuratively) to talk to someone or when they make a mistake. The dog takes that as a cue to relax and start getting distracted in the middle of a training session, which becomes very self rewarding. Even between runs at an agility trial Zig understands whether he can relax and sniff and pee or tug and warm up in preparation for our next run. Does that make sense? Oh, and if you don't look/feel like a complete dill playing with your puppy you're not trying hard enough :laugh:

Yeah that makes sense-we could still meet up though. Eat cake? Work? :thumbsup:

As for making a fool of myself-I was working on my footwork in the local shopping centre when I realised a security guard was watching me very closely. :rofl:

I think i need to get that book, puppy comes home in 6,5 weeks

I would get in while the postage is free. It is only $25.

I just went in to order the book and the DVD set and the postage is $35.37 is only the book free delivery?

I just went in to order the book and the DVD set and the postage is $35.37 is only the book free delivery?

Yep, only what's on the "What Ships Free" page. If you are only ordering a DVD extra to the book, I would email them and ask if postage can be done cheaper. Postage on their site is standard according to sending in boxes, but if you want something small and lightweight that can be posted in an envelope they can usually do it cheaper for you. I got jump cups posted to me in an envelope for under $10, when the site itself only gave me the option of the $30something postage rate. Can't hurt to email and ask :)

Yep, only what's on the "What Ships Free" page. If you are only ordering a DVD extra to the book, I would email them and ask if postage can be done cheaper. Postage on their site is standard according to sending in boxes, but if you want something small and lightweight that can be posted in an envelope they can usually do it cheaper for you. I got jump cups posted to me in an envelope for under $10, when the site itself only gave me the option of the $30something postage rate. Can't hurt to email and ask :)

Thanks heaps I will send them an email :thumbsup: