Flying A Pregnant Bitch

mirawee

How far through a pregnancy would you fly a bitch? Would a 5 or so hour flight at 5 weeks pregnant (after pregnancy is confirmed) be ok? Assuming the bitch is of course healthy and has been flown previously with no ill effects :)

How far through a pregnancy would you fly a bitch? Would a 5 or so hour flight at 5 weeks pregnant (after pregnancy is confirmed) be ok? Assuming the bitch is of course healthy and has been flown previously with no ill effects :)

Static flew from USA to Sydney at 3 weeks pregnant then at 7 weeks pregnant from Sydney to Perth & delivered 8 healthy babies :thumbsup:

Static flew from USA to Sydney at 3 weeks pregnant then at 7 weeks pregnant from Sydney to Perth & delivered 8 healthy babies :thumbsup:

Eight BEAUTIFUL healthy babies might I add. :)

Static is the mumma of my beautiful Alice. Cuddles for Static!

AAE

Animals for which a veterinary certificate (dated within ten days of the travel date) is required:

* A pregnant animal or an animal that has given birth within 48 hours prior to travel

o A pregnant animal will only be permitted to travel if a veterinary certificate is supplied certifying that the animal is fit for travel and there is no risk of it giving birth during the journey.

Only in the first 2 weeks if I really had to. Never at 5 weeks. Too long in the crate, waiting times can be 2 hours for loading & unloading. Too much stress. What if the crate got dropped, knocked over, jolted a lot. Toilet issues, not good having to hold on when pregnant.

That's just me. People fly them & there may be no ill effects. Suppose it depends on how much you worry & how bad you would feel if it did cause any mishaps.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add my experience from January 2011.

No airline or pet carrier to my knowledge will fly a pregnant dog after 42 days gestation.

On vets advice, we flew our bitch at 35 days from Perth to Melbourne and not sure if it was the stress of the flight or the stress of the move in general but she lost her litter at 48 days gestation. She has gone on to deliver a healthy litter of 12 after mating at her next season.

I would never fly a pregnant bitch again unless it was right after mating...ie: within a few days from being mated.