Associate Vs Main/limited Register

What is the advantage of having a main or limited registered dog (ie Purebred)?

I'm particularly interested in dog sports.

To compete you have to be registered with DOgs NSW or your state equivalent.

Does it matter whether you register on associate?

My dog is purebred and presumably has purebred papers (both parents reg) and I've spoken with the breeder who says the litter was registered with DogsQLD but due to complicated circumstances, I would have to go to quite some effort to get hold of the registration and papers.

Is there any extra benefit of being on main or limited register that would justify the effort (apart from using the kennel name and fancy show name :D)?

AT the moment I am thinking of just putting her on associate register so she can compete.

Your dog's breed wouldn't be written in the comp books. It would also knock out some restricted to group trials. That may knock out a lot of trials depending on what group your dog is in. There seem to be quite a few restricted trials for border collies for instance - restricted to Border Collie, restricted to Scottish Breed and Restricted to Working Group comps.

Edited by JulesP

My dog is purebred and presumably has purebred papers (both parents reg) and I've spoken with the breeder who says the litter was registered with DogsQLD but due to complicated circumstances, I would have to go to quite some effort to get hold of the registration and papers.

Sorry but you have to go to no effort. If your puppy is indeed a purebred dog & registered then the breeder of the dog MUST supply registration papers. Complicated circumstances are not your problem & if the breeder won't supply the papers to you then report them to Dogs Qld. It is the breeders choice as to whether the dog is main or limited.

The dog was bred in QLD by a registered breeder. The dog (and all the papers etc) was then transferred to Guide Dogs NSW (and possibly to DogsNSW).

Upon transfer of ownership from Guide dogs to myself, no registration/pedigree papers were given (only microchip details) and the person I spoke to said that was all they had???

So if I wanted to chase up the pedigree papers, I would have to get Guide Dogs to look further into the matter and I am sure they have better things to do- so I would rather not bother them unless it will affect if my dog can compete in certain dog sports.

Unless anyone has any other suggetsions on how I can get the papers- eg can i contact Dogs QLD or DOgsNSW directly?

ETA- sorry probably should nhave been clearer but didn't want to make a really longwinded post- which i have now done :laugh: )

Edited by aussielover

Would it rule her out of retrieving trials (shes a lab)?

Can you change a dog from associate to limited register?

Yes it would as only main/limited registered gundogs are allowed to compete in retrieving trials. Associates can compete in the RATG tests but the dog must be easily identified as a gundog.

Don't know about the second part, if you have her microchip number couldn't you track down her registration name/papers through either QLD or NSW?

Would it rule her out of retrieving trials (shes a lab)?

Can you change a dog from associate to limited register?

Yes it would as only main/limited registered gundogs are allowed to compete in retrieving trials. Associates can compete in the RATG tests but the dog must be easily identified as a gundog.

Don't know about the second part, if you have her microchip number couldn't you track down her registration name/papers through either QLD or NSW?

Yes I guess I could.

But I would still have to get someone (either breeder or Guide Dogs) to sign her over to me?

Yeah, the current registered owner will need to fill out the form that is on the back of the original registration form but if you know her name you would have more to go on and might be able to track them down easier or get Guide Dogs to get her registration papers duplicated and transfer her that way.

If you are wanting to do retrieving trials with her, it will worth it, might take a couple of weeks to track them down though.

Edited by tollersowned

I would track them down. Teh papers got transfered to Guide Dogs so they need to transfer them to you. I am sure they put the dogs papaers somewhere and not just throw them in the bin.

It will affect retrieving and really the Guide dog people should know where they are so it really shouldn't take much of their time at all.