Question For If One Day I Decide To Rescue A Dog

Isabel964

I can't speak for the OP's experience with Keysborough. I wasn't there.

But I'd rather a staff member spoke directly to the needs of the dogs for adoption (as this person seems to have done, from the telling), than gloss over an individual dog's needs & just hope it all works itself out by osmosis.

When I've adopted adult dogs from breeders, I've wanted a frank disclosure about individual rehoming needs for a particular dog. And have been grateful for any discussion about whether a dog might be suitable (or not) for the lifestyle we offer.

Whilst I absolutely agree with this statement, I fail to see how out of around 60 dogs (as the OP said there was) not even one was suitable?

Especially if the OP is as responsible and caring as they appear on DOL.

Exactly right. I'm the last person to claim I am perfect, BUT we love our dogs, we choose our cars around our dogs, they sleep with us, no expense is too much for them (we once had a cat that had kidney failure and we considered flying it to Queensland for a kidney transplant - around 10k - did not do it because of the odds for success, the trauma to cat etc). Our dogs are washed every week, they are such good girls, they go to the dog beach, they have oilskin jackets for those freezing times we go for walks in winter, we go away to dog friendly cottages, we feed them RC....surely out of 60+ dogs, one of those dogs on that day we went SHOULD have come home with us for a very happy rest of its days. That none did is a tragedy for one of those dogs. That some people that work there can get away with behaving so unfriendly and not helping find a home with us for one of the dogs in their care was disgraceful. I should have tried harder. I should have written a formal complaint.

Even IF all the 60+ dogs there had issues, surely it would better to find the best fit and see how it went on a trial basis rather than no chance at all. True dog lovers make efforts with dogs, and try to make things work.

And BTW, we were two office people, dressed nicely etc - we did not turn up with tatoos, body piercings, stinking of beer, slagging on the ground, and using foul language (in case you were wondering). There was NO excuse for that experience, and as another poster said, we too left feeling like we were judged as not good enough to give one of those dogs a home. I wish I had done something about it back then.

But you know, we now have our pure bred Westie who is just the most darling girl, and I could not imagine my life without her.

Thanks SO much for all your comments. I have made a special page on my PC of all your suggestions, friendly paces, foster places, to check out breeders in case they need to rehome a fur etc. So when the time comes, if hubby and I agree to check out rescuing again, I will use that list. We talk about rescuing, we sometimes get hung up on a red cloud kelpie or a Amstaff/amstaff cross as my hubby has a big soft spot for those (had them in the past). I also of course adore the Westies - so full of personality, little rascals, and just a perfect sized dog too! I like Australian working dogs too - incredibly loyal and intelligent, just amazing. Then again, I fell in love with the little pomeranian cross that I rescued from the middle of a busy dual carriageway where he was about to be hit by about 50 cars. So who knows.

I am so glad I posted this question and hope that it encourages others to try the suggested places and not give up on rescues.

Edited by Sky

I think it is very important to voice concerns about inadequate treatment/ customer service at any shelter- it IS worthwhile to write a letter or email to the president/ shelter manager of a shelter and make a complaint.

There are times where their genuinely wouldn't be a suitable dog with that criteria- cat and dog friendly, no behavioural issues etc but there are ways to advise you of that without making you feel inadequate.

I can't speak for the OP's experience with Keysborough. I wasn't there.

But I'd rather a staff member spoke directly to the needs of the dogs for adoption (as this person seems to have done, from the telling), than gloss over an individual dog's needs & just hope it all works itself out by osmosis.

When I've adopted adult dogs from breeders, I've wanted a frank disclosure about individual rehoming needs for a particular dog. And have been grateful for any discussion about whether a dog might be suitable (or not) for the lifestyle we offer.

Whilst I absolutely agree with this statement, I fail to see how out of around 60 dogs (as the OP said there was) not even one was suitable?

Especially if the OP is as responsible and caring as they appear on DOL.

Yes... I wasn't there. And have no knowledge about the nature & needs of the estimated 60 dogs. Nor was I the person making an assessment of potential adopters. So I can't say I fail to see something that I don't know about.

If the OP, who was there, believes she was not given a fair go, then I agree with the DOL'er who's suggested bringing her experience to the attention of the management.

First step of problem-solving is to go the person who can do something about it.