I Need A Reason To Tell My Vets That I Only Want A C3 For 16 Wk Lily

Bow Wow

ILB I had always only done C3 on all my6 pups and expected the puppy buyers to do likewise.

Its only in recent years that C4/5 has been recommended.

I have never had KC and I have been slack with immos and the3 dogs are also out and about even when not showing.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Weimaraners we have seen a connection between giving a C5 at an early age and autoimmune response. This is a breed prone to immune issues, but it highlights the point that there are obviously issues which could affect other breeds. All weimaraner breeders recommend C3 and KC separately 2 weeks later if desired.

Edited by SparkyTansy

As a breeder I recommend only a C3 - Fact is the kennel cough vaccine only does some strains and the risk factors for an ordinary family pet are minimal.

Too minimal in my opinion to warrant giving another chemical. As an owner you should listen to your vet and make informed decisions based on what you think are the risk factors and what is best for your dog.

If you decide that the risk doesnt equal the need for the vaccine then its your right to say no thanks.

If that isnt taken with a good grace and you are made to feel bad about making your own decisions - go to another vet.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That being said my vet does the C3, then I duck back in two weeks later have have the intranasal KC so that they do not get overloaded all at once, giving the dog a better chance of having good responses to all components.

on the odd occassion I have had my dogs vaccinated with KC I do as above. And never, ever would I do a pup with anything but a C3 unless something else was required to export them.

My boy got Kennel cough at 18 months & he has never been in a kennel & was vaccinated against it.

My vet said it is very contagious & he most probably would have copped a much worse dose of it had

he not had the vaccination.

Comes down to personnal choice I guess, he is your dog.

I always have mine done cause they mix with a lot of other dogs. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I had a dog nearly die from the KC part of the C5 vaccine and have never used it since. Over the years I have had several dogs get KC but no one was ever as ill as the dog that reacted to the vaccine. This dog also picked up KC a few months after being vaccinated. My vet only uses C3 on her own dogs and doesn't recommend the C5 for show dogs because they build constant immunity from being in contact with lots of other dogs. The only time I have used the nasal spray one was a couple of years ago when I was going on a road trip with the dogs and they hadn't been to many shows in the preceeding year. The vet recommended the nasal vaccine to boost their immunity and cover them in case I needed to leave them in a kennel for a day along the way.

Basically though as the others have said, your dog, your decision. If the vet isn't happy to abide by your decision find another vet. Ignore the vet nurse who has no doubt been trained to upsell services. I know some wonderful vet nurses but even at my vets there are a few nurses who think they know it all and need to be firmly put in their place.

I don't discuss my dog's health with the vet nurse. Whilst I listen to the breeders opinion I don't take their view as gospel either. I wouldn't be using a vet who wasn't willing to discuss the options with me either. I was very happy with the chat I had with my new vet about injections. It was all very respectful.

In 20+ years of dog ownership I have never had the KC part of the injections forced on me though. I've always been asked if I want it.

It should be your choice provided that you understand the pros and cons. Some vets can be a bit over the top with how they advise clients - mine can be a bit like that, but he's learned over the years that I know what I'm doing, do my research and know my animals well enough to know when something is wrong and when not to worry.

For what it's worth, my girl had C5 vaccs and got a very severe case of kennel cough at about 10 months, almost certainly picked up from obedience class. She recovered fully, but was a very sick little girl for a while. I still think it's worth using the vaccination, but I'm aware it only covers a few types and I wouldn't have an argument with someone who chooses not to use it provided they have done their research.

I have the issue that my vet carries C4's + BB's. So while I only want a C3 for the first vaccines I can't. Very frustrating!

OSS, What is BB?:o Can your vet not order in the C3 for you if given prior notice?

I used to have my dogs vaccinated with C5 and without fail the ones that went into kennels would still come home with Kennel Cough.

Then Miss Indi came into our lives and as always she too was vaccinated with C5 and within weeks had serious skin problems (in winter :( ). However, the following winter I still went ahead and had her vaccinated with C5 and the whole skin problem started again - meaning visits to the Dermatologist! Last winter I asked my vet for the 3 year C3 vaccine and they refused - so I found a vet who would. Guess what? No vaccination this year and no skin problems :crossfingers:

I'm sure some people will say she's grown out of it (and maybe they're right) but I feel it was the vaccine that caused it, as it always seemed to happen within a very short time of vaccination.

The simple answer is - find a vet who's happy to give your dog the vaccination YOU want :)

Wow, thank you for all the responses. :)

Unfortunately it became a mute point. :( Georgea who I took with me as well, because I thought she might have something stuck in her throat, because last night she began coughing. Turns out that she has Kennel Cough. :(

Lily was checked all over and was given the all clear, and the vet said it was because she was vaccinated with C5 last vac and that Georgea has only had C3.

Because I have Bow wow at home also who is nearly 14, with a severe heart murmur, it was recommended that I give Lily the C5. Also to keep all three separated to stop Lily and Bow wow getting it, ( more Bow wow).

So I relented and allowed them to give Lily the C5.

I had to take Bow wow over after I dropped the girls off home, to check that she did not have Kennel Cough. As this is what the vet was most afraid of. But thankfully Bow wow was given the all clear, though she has to start on another tablet for her murmur but we knew this was coming.

So again thanks to all the wise words, as usual from the wonderful Dolers. :)

The only reason you require is "because I only want my dog to have a C3"

End of story.

Not quite "end of story" as in my case, the vet refuses and you have to find one who will :rolleyes:

I actually still go to the original vet for everything else as I have a lot of faith in them - and they are a 24hr 7 day a week certified hospital :)

Edited by gsdog2

I have the issue that my vet carries C4's + BB's. So while I only want a C3 for the first vaccines I can't. Very frustrating!

OSS, What is BB?:o Can your vet not order in the C3 for you if given prior notice?

Sorry :o

BB - is Bordatella Brontiseptica - The bacterial component of KC

Parainfluenza is the viral component, which is already in the C4 vacc.

Yes possibly I could, BUT! The vaccine comes in packets of 10 so I would have to pay for all of them, which if I have 8 + puppies yeah no worries, but if I only have 5 or less, it would cost quite a bit! I find it very frustrating!!

To be able to get the trienniel vacc I had to find AT least 8 people in total that wanted it for them to consider getting the vaccine in as they had to buy 10 at a time and they do not recommend it, or even tell people it is an option. It also costs more the get one trienniel and three KC vaccines than it does to get 3 C5's as they don't want to do it.

Edited by OSoSwift

To be able to get the trienniel vacc I had to find AT least 8 people in total that wanted it for them to consider getting the vaccine in as they had to buy 10 at a time and they do not recommend it, or even tell people it is an option. It also costs more the get one trienniel and three KC vaccines than it does to get 3 C5's as they don't want to do it.

My vet gave me exactly the same story (that's why I went to the vet down the road who had it in stock). They also said they contacted the drug company to ask if they would guarantee their C3 vaccination and they were told no (do they "guarantee" C5?). It costs less to get one trienniel vaccination and KC only when you need it.

In the end everyone has to make their own choices and I feel the younger the dog the more cautious you have to be (Parvo is everywhere :( ).

In Weimaraners we have seen a connection between giving a C5 at an early age and autoimmune response. This is a breed prone to immune issues, but it highlights the point that there are obviously issues which could affect other breeds. All weimaraner breeders recommend C3 and KC separately 2 weeks later if desired.

Yep and my sisters dog was one of them. They spent tens of thousands on the dog , during its short life time. The problems began with a reaction to the final vaccination and it was all down hill from there.

Back to the OP's dog . It's her dog and that is reason enough to make the choice.

Personally I will not vaccinate beyond a C3 and suggest that puppy buyers do the same.