What Crate Size For Golden Retriever Pup?

Aztec Gold

Cage Sizing For Your Pet

How to Measure your Pet

1. Length in cm = Nose to root of tail – tail excluded

2. Height in cm = Floor to top of head while standing

3. Width in cm = At the widest point

4.gif

Cage Measurements – How To Get The Correct Cage Size

Length = A + 1/2 of B

Width = C x 2 (Twice shoulder width)

Height = B + 1/2 of C

-----

That's the formula we used for picking out a crate for Hugo. We did have to ask the breeder for measurements though, since he was a puppy then and we wanted him to grow into it. But then again it depends on what you want her to be doing in there and how much time she's going to spend in it. We're trying to get Hugo to sleep in his crate now and it's just a wee bit small for him to stretch out in so we're getting him an Akita-sized soft crate now :rofl: I have to say I wish I bought a soft crate from the get-go, but people were concerned that Hugo would chew right through it--turns out he's not a chewer. But GRs.. Don't GRs have a reputation for chewing? Maybe a metal crate would be best.

We trained Hugo not to bite during play by screaming "OUCH!" whenever he bit us and walking away--end of playtime. Dogs have the ability to control their jaws with great precision, so play biting really doesn't need to happen, you must make sure she doesn't get away with it!

We trained Hugo not to bite during play by screaming "OUCH!" whenever he bit us and walking away--end of playtime. Dogs have the ability to control their jaws with great precision, so play biting really doesn't need to happen, you must make sure she doesn't get away with it!

This is also what do to stop puppies from biting. You can also making a crying type noise as a puppy would.

I have recently brought a crate for my labrador puppy - it is very hard to work out what size as you don't know how big they are going to get.

I have both a 36 inch and 42 inch crate. One of my labs is small, she only weights about 26 kg - she fits fine in the 36 inch crate. My boy though is about 38kg and his head hits the top of the 36inch crate when he sits down.

Goldies stand pretty tall - so I would go with the 42 inch. Maybe you could ask the breeder what size they use?

If you go with 42inch this is going to be way to big when the pup is young - so you will need to get a divider.

It is best to start off with a metal crate as your puppy may chew through the fabric one.

I'm getting a Cane Corso pup and I ordered a 48inch metal crate

Remember though you will need to cordon some half the crate off whilw they are pups as you run the risk of the crate being to large and them peeing and crapping in it...

Ebay

Its a bit bigger and a little cheaper then the one @ Vebopet

Remember though you will need to cordon some half the crate off whilw they are pups as you run the risk of the crate being to large and them peeing and crapping in it...

Ebay

There are some good deals on eBay, but do be wary of quality. Some are great, but mostly you get what you pay for.

If you want to save a bit then look around for a second hand crate.

Ebay

There are some good deals on eBay, but do be wary of quality. Some are great, but mostly you get what you pay for.

If you want to save a bit then look around for a second hand crate.

I've bought a crate from that supplier before, they are very good quality, I much prefer that one to the more expensive 'life stages' one from Pet Barn!! the only downside is the steel tray, it makes the crate heavier than if it had a plastic tray

I have a 36" for my Golden, its the perfect size for her, she is on the smaller side for a Golden though

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I've bought a crate from that supplier before, they are very good quality, I much prefer that one to the more expensive 'life stages' one from Pet Barn!! the only downside is the steel tray, it makes the crate heavier than if it had a plastic tray

I have a 36" for my Golden, its the perfect size for her, she is on the smaller side for a Golden though

Yaye! Thank you :) I just got their 42" one for $80 delivered :) It's a boy pup so I'm guessing he will probably be a big boy lol!!

Thank you everyone!!

I bought a 42" crate off ebey for an absolutely great price of $27. free delivery and I was amazed at the quality, yes it is heavy with a metal tray but I won't be moving it very often.

I bought a 42" crate off ebey for an absolutely great price of $27. free delivery and I was amazed at the quality, yes it is heavy with a metal tray but I won't be moving it very often.

OMG when?? That's crazy cheap!!