Dog Leads - Canvas Vs Nylon?!

Aztec Gold

My breeder sent me an information pack before we pick up our pup with a what to buy page. On it states:

"A medium length canvas (not nylon) lead and a fine link metal check chain or a leather one, approx 50 cms long will suffice from puppy-hood to adult years. A leather collar and name tags are a necessity if there is any chance your puppy may get out or go walkabout."

Why do you think she doesn't like nylon leads? We bought a lovely nylon one a few weeks ago. And what is a check chain? Do pet stores sell these too?

A check chain is otherwise known as a choker collar.

And people were telling me that nylon cuts up your hand if your puppy pulls on the leash while going on walks, that's the only reason I could think she'd want a fabric one istead of a plastic one.

Check chain is also known as a correction chain. I wouldn't use one on a puppy though.

Shops do sell them but they are crappy quality.

I use both nylon and canvas one, the canvas one is easier on the hand if you have a dog that pulls.

I have both nylon and canvas leads and I personally do not find any difference - and I have large dogs. So if it was me, I would keep what you have.

If you are planning on taking your puppy to basic obedience I would check with the club you are going to before buying a check chain as there are alot of differing opinions about check chains and I have noticed at some training clubs they are not recommended.

I would suggest starting with a flat collar. Leather collars are good for everyday as they are very durable, however I do not like walking my dog with a leather collar. So if you only want to buy 1 collar - I would go with a fabric one to start with.

Nylon leads are only suitable for very small dogs or very well trained ones. They will cut your hands to pieces if the dog pulls suddenly. Even with well trained show dogs, handling nylon leads for extended periods of time, will rope burn your hands. I wouldn't recommend a check chain unless you have someone to show you how to use it properly. Most pet dog don't need one but medium/large show dogs are usually shown on them so they are trained on them as babies. I suggest an adjustale martingale collar in leather or fabric so it can tighten enough to stop the puppy slipping his head out but not tighten any more than that. It doesn't really matter if the part joining the martingale is chain or the same material as the collar. They all work the same way.

I have both nylon and canvas leads and I personally do not find any difference - and I have large dogs. So if it was me, I would keep what you have.

If you are planning on taking your puppy to basic obedience I would check with the club you are going to before buying a check chain as there are alot of differing opinions about check chains and I have noticed at some training clubs they are not recommended.

I would suggest starting with a flat collar. Leather collars are good for everyday as they are very durable, however I do not like walking my dog with a leather collar. So if you only want to buy 1 collar - I would go with a fabric one to start with.

Our obedience club promotes the use of check chains - but they check the fitting before each class. If used correctly, they are much more humane and effective than a halti or gentle leader type device. But that said, I use one on my adult dobe, our puppy is on a flat collar until she's old enough to make the connection. With a check chain - it's the noise and the tightening that work in conjunction to help the dog self-correct. In the beginning, if your puppy is anything like what my two have been like, it will be a bit scared on walks, and won't be doing the sort of pulling a check chain hopes to address (ie pulling to try and get to something they want). You just want to be boosting confidence and building a relationship to start.

If you go the fine-link check chain - make sure you get one that is 'jewellers linked' chain - it is better quality and won't catch on your dog's fur. You will find them at good pet stores - but if you are having trouble, then go to one of the dog shows in your area - there will be a show van there that will have them.

My obedience club asks for check chains for obedience, my friend's club won't allow them. So like others have said - difference of opinions out there.

What breed are you getting? That might impact on what you buy.

Nylon burns ;)

Your puppy is a Golden right? You'll likely go through a few collars while s/he grows but it doesn't have to be difficult.

Go and buy a small, cheap, adjustable plastic buckle collar and light 6ft puppy leash from the supermarket to start with. You'll use this to get your baby puppy used to the leash and collar, they don't need to last long and your pup will grow out of it very quickly. Should cost you $10 max.

MEANWHILE invest in a good quality leash http://www.k9pro.com...gories/Leashes/

and a martingale collar (these are adjustable and you should be able to get one that will fit your pup through to adult). http://www.k9pro.com...lars-by-K9-Pro/

When puppy is older you can invest in a good sturdy leather buckle collar if you wish too.

A good leash will last you a lifetime.:)

ETA, if you do decide to use a check chain choose the Herm Spenger brand. Though personally I wouldn't use one on a puppy. http://www.petsprovidore.com.au/Herm-Sprenger/

Edited by SecretKei

I have never heard of even the most pro check chain trainer suggesting that a puppy - it will be 8 weeks old, no? - should be wearing a check chain. Most clubs don't allow them until the pup is 6 months old.

Agree with the others - flat collar is all you will need on a puppy. Nylon burns, canvas or leather is much more comfortable.

and also agree with SecretKei - if you decide on a check chain later on when the dog is older, go for Herm Sprenger brand as it is good quality

I have never heard of even the most pro check chain trainer suggesting that a puppy - it will be 8 weeks old, no? - should be wearing a check chain. Most clubs don't allow them until the pup is 6 months old.

Not sure if it has changed, but the 1994 Act in Victoria said that pups under twelve weeks were not to be on correction chains at training establishments.

I like leather leads.

I am currently saving up for this one:

Leather leash

These ones are really soft and strong.

Currently I have a cotton lead which is not as good as when it gets wet it gets all gross and soggy. Also its easier for it to slip out of your hand.

I agree with secretkei- get a cheap collar for now as your puppy will soon grow out of it.

I find the ones with the dogs name and phone number embedded on are a good idea- good for my dog who likes swimming (the tag goes all rusty).

I use this company http://www.pawfectstitch.com/

As their collars are nylon so more water resisntant.

I got my first leather leash about five or six years ago and they are all I use now and all I would use in the future (and I still use that original leash I bought). IMO every dog owner should have a good quality leather leash :)

Canvas feels nicer in your hands, but in the early weeks you just won't notice the difference so there is absolutely no rush.

Ultimately, I think a nice leather lead is the best. Not essential of course - I just like the feel of a soft leather in my hands as the leash gets worn in over time.

Don't buy the cheap leather from the shops though. The link to K9Pro you got in an earlier post is a great place to buy a nice quality, strong, soft leather leash.

By the time your dog is 6 months old, you'll be appreciating the softness on your hands I promise you!

I got my first leather leash about five or six years ago and they are all I use now and all I would use in the future (and I still use that original leash I bought). IMO every dog owner should have a good quality leather leash :)

Well you've inspired me to go and find out what all the fuss is about. I've never had a leather leash...

I dont care what anyone says a good leather leash is better then all the others combined. I only bother with the www.fordogtrainers.com police types and they're incredible. 6 years on and despite a few visits to the beach it's still in awesome condition, I just rub some basic hand cream into it if it gets wet.

Well you've inspired me to go and find out what all the fuss is about. I've never had a leather leash...

Oh you must have one! :) The only time I use anything that's not leather now is when I use a long line. After using good quality leather going back to nylon or anything fabric is awful!

I got mine from K9 Pro like a lot of people have recommended.