How Much Does Being On Heat Affect A Dog?

just wondering if what moet is doing is within the range of normal for a first 'season'. She is lethargic, and seems to be in pain - doesn't want to move off the waterbed (cant blame her) even when the postman goes by - normally she would be by the gate letting everyone in a 20 km radius know. not interested in what i'm cooking in the kitchen - very unlike her - and didnt even care when my daughter's boyfriend came round and he is her favorite person. i noticed a small amount of blood under her tail yesterday and rushed out to buy 'bitchpants' but so far haven't seen any other signs. she is around 16 -17 mths old (rescued, so we're not quite sure) and she is medium size and weight. I've never had a non-desexed female dog before so dont know what is normal or not

take her to the vet for a check up ASAP, this doesnt seem quite right. My bitches have been a little sooky and quieter but never like this.

I was about to say the same thing.

My bitch gets moody and a little more fearful then usual but never like what you mentioned.

One of mine has virtually imprisoned herslef in her crate for the last three weeks. She basically refuses to come out, you can't look at her or talk to her and heaven forbid if the other dogs even think about making a noise or breathing in her direction.

That's normal for her.

If your bitch checks out fine, then that's probably how seasons are going to be for her.

thank you for the advice - took her to the vet and she has an infection somewhere (maybe uterine although he couldn't feel any abnormality) she is running a temp of 40.4. the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and an antiinflammatory injection and said we should see some improvement by morning. i am syringing water into her mouth as she is not interested in drinking atm. thanks again for the timely advice - will let you know how she goes!

thank you for the advice - took her to the vet and she has an infection somewhere (maybe uterine although he couldn't feel any abnormality) she is running a temp of 40.4. the vet gave her an antibiotic injection and an antiinflammatory injection and said we should see some improvement by morning. i am syringing water into her mouth as she is not interested in drinking atm. thanks again for the timely advice - will let you know how she goes!

Poor girl... I hope she cools down, and is soon feeling comfortable.

Perhaps .Try her with some chicken soup (cool) if she isn't keen on drinking. Did the vet test her for dehydration, or tell you what to look for? If not, phone them and ask , so you know ;)

Did he comment on the blood/discharge, or test it for infection?

Poor girl... I hope she cools down, and is soon feeling comfortable.

Perhaps .Try her with some chicken soup (cool) if she isn't keen on drinking. Did the vet test her for dehydration, or tell you what to look for? If not, phone them and ask , so you know ;)

Did he comment on the blood/discharge, or test it for infection?

he did show me the skin test for dehydration - she is ok at the moment and there hasn't been any discharge since the small amount of blood i saw yesterday morning, so we are just in that horrible 'wait and see' stage. :(