Dog Grooming / Clipping

I have two long haired dogs who I usually send to the groomers every 8 weeks to be professionally groomed. However, if I knew how to do it myself I probably would as it is quite expensive.

But where do you learn this skill? I don't want to become a professional groomer or anything like that I just want to clip my own two dogs (without them looking totally stupid).

So for those of you who clip your own dogs - did you learn from a mentor, or books or you tube videos or did you just give it a go?

What kind of coat do they have?

I used to clip my poodle x coat and also my aussie shepherds coat in the summer (for ticks).

I just bought a clipper set and gave it a go!

It came with some attachments that allowed you to alter the length of the cut so you can't really do that bad a job. You can also neaten them up with some scissors after if you're not happy.

I'd recommend getting a good quality set of clippers though, as I find the ones at work much easier to achieve a neat cut. I think the brand is Oster or something like that. You change the clipper blade itself to get varying lengths rather than a cheap plastic attachment.

eta= it did look better when the dogs were done professionally but it didn't look "horrendous" when I did it myself.

Edited by aussielover

There are some fantastic instructional videos online - you can google the breeds that are most similar (in coat and appearance) to your two, and they will show you through step by step.

I groom my girl (and groomed my bichon as well until he died recently). I only started about 2 years ago. I had always been curious about it, but my early attempts had been truly AWFUL!

But with the right equipment and a bit of practice, Zamba looks pretty nice after I groom her these days. I think so anyway!

Critical thing to work out early in the piece is:

- what kinds of brushes/combs suit your dog/s coats (ask people on here - they will tell you straight away. I would say for a poodley coat a slicker and a steel pin comb and you're all set)

- what kinds of scissors (a lot of personal preference here, but as a minimum you need a straight pair and probably a curved pair. You may also want some thinners with the breeds you've mentioned)

- what kind of clippers if you're going to do that (most do - I do - it's a lot quicker than attempting to scissor the whole dog!)

- a step by step process to going over the dog (you will get this from people here and from the online videos)

It does save a lot of money, but the flipside is it takes a lot of time. I have come to really enjoy doing it, and the dogs have looked SO much better since I've been doing them myself. Largely because I am touching them up every few weeks, because it's easy and the stuff is there ready to go. Previously, I would go 7 weeks between appointments so they would go from very short, to quite wooly. Now they stay pretty nice.

I say go for it!

Edited by Zug Zug

I have two long haired dogs who I usually send to the groomers every 8 weeks to be professionally groomed. However, if I knew how to do it myself I probably would as it is quite expensive.

But where do you learn this skill? I don't want to become a professional groomer or anything like that I just want to clip my own two dogs (without them looking totally stupid).

So for those of you who clip your own dogs - did you learn from a mentor, or books or you tube videos or did you just give it a go?

Where abouts are you in SA ??

Just have a crack as they say there is only a week between a good and a bad haircut. :laugh:

No seriously, as Zug Zug said there is literally hunderds of grooming instructional vids online.

With my lot, I knew how I wanted them to look and good groomers in my town are few and far between so I decided to have a go myself, it did take a few goes but I do feel now I can clip them with confidence and have them looking the way I like.

It does take a little pracitce especially with thier faces depending on how you want them to look, I have on occasion taken a bit too much from here and there but it soon grows back.

I use the km ss Wahl clippers, they cost around $350 with Stainless steel attachment combs for different length. I started out with a set of wahl sho pro clippers that cost me around $100. They were great but when I did started doing all 4 I decided to shout myself a better set and my Auntie is still using my old set.

Are you close by to any tafe I think they do have grooming courses occasionally, perhaps you could look into that.

In the time I have been clipping my lot (about 4 years) I have never had any mishaps such as cut skin etc. It really is not as hard as it tends to look but in saying that I won't clip other peoples dogs and would not like to groom for a living, I think there is a big difference in clipping your own dogs compared to clipping other peoples. As much as I enjoy clipping my own, I really admire pro groomers it is definatley not a job I could do full time.

I dont know how good it i but I know the WEA runs a grooming course that is to help with home grooming. Its not aimed at people wanting to be proffessionals but it could be something to look into. As a groomer I have to say that unless you actaully have a go you will have NO idea how pysically taxing it is on your body. One client of mine recently tried and it took her 6 hrs to get 3/4 of one of her dogs done. Then I had to fix what she had done. She never realised how HARD it is to groom a dog let alone at home without proffessional grade equipment and a dog will usually be worse for their owner than a groomer.

Call the WEA and give it a go. Just let your groomer know that you are giving it a go because you need to save some money but if you cant do it will they still be happy to groom your dogs again?

:D