Poor Ike

I've just gotten back from the vet with Ike, and he dignosed Ike with patella location!! He said that it's in his genes and that others from his breed would have it too.. What should I do? I've sent the breeder an email about it but there hopeless at getting back to me..

Should I look at getting pet insurance?

luxating patella is not uncommon.

What treatment does your vet suggest?

Your pup is not very old is it? What are his symptoms?

Well done on contacting teh breeder :)

pet insurance... as you already have a diagnosis- and the pup was possibly born with it - pet insurance may not cover it now .

An operation is available - I know a JS who had it done (at about 11 months)

Do you know what grade it is?

Grade I

Knee cap can be manipulated out of its groove, but returns to its normal position spontaneously

Grade II

Knee cap rides out of its groove occasionally and can be replaced in the groove by manipulation

Grade III

Knee cap rides out of its groove most of the time but can be replaced in the groove via manipulation

Grade IV

Knee cap rides out of its groove all the time and cannot be replaced inside the groove

Hey didn't suggest anything really, he said it's not to server right now and just to keep an eye on him over the next 6 months, Ike doesn't seem to be in any pain when it pops out which is good.

He turned 1 2 weeks ago

Yep I've been told to look into that, I guess I'm angry at the fact the breeder didn't tell me about this grrr

I've just gotten back from the vet with Ike, and he dignosed Ike with patella location!! He said that it's in his genes and that others from his breed would have it too.. What should I do? I've sent the breeder an email about it but there hopeless at getting back to me..

Should I look at getting pet insurance?

Pet insurance won't cover a pre-existing condition. That's what the patella luxation now is.

How fit is Ike? What's his muscle condition like?

Lots of pups have loose kneecaps when they are babies. Grade 1 is not something I'd operate on unless Ike experiences a traumatic luxation.

I'd be looking at building up the supporting muscles and feeding a joint supplement.

Yep I've been told to look into that, I guess I'm angry at the fact the breeder didn't tell me about this grrr

Maybe the breeders didn't know?

Emmy has it too. None of her parents nor grandparents had it.

She was a freak of nature thing but then again, she did have 2 big falls as a puppies that could make her kneecap pop out giving her that too...

The vet said Ike is pretty fit and is a

normal weight, no ohther abnormallitys to report thank god!

Joint suppliments.. What would you suggest?

the vet claiming it is herediatary and all of his relatives will have it too is a pretty broad statement :eek: dealing with this disease for over 25 years no one can say that unless they have a crystal ball.

it sounds like the vet is accusing the breeder of up to no good. patella luxation can also be due to injury.

i sold a young 8 week old male puppy many years ago to a family and becasue the vet went on and on about how good his patellas were and he was the soundest dog he'd come across in his entire life, the vet actually convinced these people to breed my pet puppy i sold. Vets have the power of suggestion and its not always good suggestions. After that episode of BYB my puppy i sold just because it was sound not because it was a good example (which he wasn't thats why he got sold as a pet) i now keep all my pups until they are old enough to be desexed.

from another friend who sold a lovely little chi puppy with a molera, buyer took puppy into the vet the vet said that its a deformity the molera so convinced the buyer to put a perfectly healthy puppy down so they did! another power of suggestion.

grade 1 is mild and usually there can sometimes be no indication.

when they are puppies you cannot tell so if the breeder sold your dog to you as a baby they would not have known themselves so blaming them and being angry with them probably won't get a response from them.

patella luxation is recessive meaning it can jump generations so the mum and dad could not have had it but a dog way back in the bloodline could have so its jumped a few generations.

grade 1 is manageable and the dog can still lead a normal life with no handicaps. i recommend glucosomine supplements as i've put a grade 3 dog in one leg on this when he was younger and it helped quite a bit. Even this dog did not show symptoms you could hear the click.

i always tell people to get a second opinion with this disease as there are always different views on this.

Em apparently has Grade 3.

You can't tell that she has any problems though. She doesn't limp, there is no clicking or any sign that she has it. When she tense and I massage her, I can feel it pop out (it's a gross feeling)... but once she is relaxed, it goes back in again. But that doesn't happen often.

But I do manage how much she can run around and act like a nutter though.

Yeah I no what you mean, I just told the breeder what the vet told me now I feel a little silly jumping on it so quickly I might just wait to talk to them

In some cases the patellas ability to stay in place improves with age/ muscle development. Our Jack Russell had his pop out a few times when he was under 6 months of age but have had no issues for the last 6-8 months. Breeders don't have a crystal ball so provided precautions were taken (not breeding from dogs with luxating patellas etc) its just bad luck.

Well good news, I spoke to the breeder thankfully they have never bred a puppy with this condition, they assured me that all pups get checked befor going to there new owners and that this can occore from a fall, to much jumping and even walking them for to long when there a pup, so Ike is fine the breeder is 100% sure that it did not come from his lines which just means Ike has to take it easy for a bit and the conition shouldn't worsen yay

Well good news, I spoke to the breeder thankfully they have never bred a puppy with this condition, they assured me that all pups get checked befor going to there new owners and that this can occore from a fall, to much jumping and even walking them for to long when there a pup, so Ike is fine the breeder is 100% sure that it did not come from his lines which just means Ike has to take it easy for a bit and the conition shouldn't worsen yay

ahem.........hate to burst anyone's bubble here. first up.........breeders might say they've never bred a puppy like this but have they bred a dog like this? have they viewed and assessed adult dogs in their bloodline? Most pups do not show symptoms when young. how old did you buy this puppy? my earlier dogs were walked for several miles each day and they did not develop patella luxation. True=you can get problems from dog injuring itself but as i told a lady who bought a british bulldog from a reg breeder who developed grade 4 patella luxation in his 2 legs at 8 months of age, if the legs are strong its harder to damage but to be fair there is a small chance that damage can occur from injury.

Mini foxie club of Australia had this problem for many years, (we had threads of this about 5-6 years ago) how they reduced incidences was recommending lots of exercise, controlled diet and good breeding. Reduced occurances. the dogs that did not get all this had a higher incidence of patella luxation in the mini foxie population.

my dogs have been jumping from day dot and still no patella injuries. one girl was a big jumper tested at 12 years of age to be 0/0 by 3 different vets. another boy would run around like a crazy man tested at 10 by different vets to be 0/0.

vet cannot tell you if this condition will get worse or better or a breeder likewise :confused: , i've known dogs to develop this disease at 6 months of age to get no worse to stay the same grading, i've also known dogs to get assessed at 8 months of age (no indication or symptoms) of grade 1 or half grading, then to be tested every 6 months to the final grade at the age of 3-4 years to be the worst grade possible which is grade 4.

how i managed to keep this condition in check for one boy i had was i decided on doing an experiment, gave him glucosomine daily coupled with calcium and also exercise to strengthen leg muscles after doing a bit of research on what i could do. Condition eneded up staying put on the same grade for about a year then went downhill after that unfortunately.

i fail to see how someone can advise you that the condition won't get worse, no one can tell you that, its very unpredicable and its very frustrating for breeders to deal with at the best of times.

Edited by toy dog