Choosing A Puppy

poodlesrule

As a breeder, do you pick the puppy for the buyer or do you let the buyer choose their own. For example, the first person on the list gets the first pick. Or do you temperament test the puppies and match them to the buyer/family based on which one you think will suit them?

Usually not, as the first picks are reserved for myself and then I tend to match the pups to families. Sometimes if pups are similar in temperament, the buyer may have a choice.

Same

Usually not, as the first picks are reserved for myself and then I tend to match the pups to families. Sometimes if pups are similar in temperament, the buyer may have a choice.

Same

Me to.

Same

Me to.

Thanks for the replies, I would prefer to match temperament to the family, though I have seen puppies pick people.

I will also match :) My pups are not 8 weeks yet and it was made clear from the beginning that they won't know which puppy is theirs until we have done the final assessment. I am sure it is a little frustrating for them, but I am sure in the end they will all be happy with what they get. :) I always am - I have hever had a choice!

Same

Me to.

Same, using the Vohard test plus what I know about the puppy.

To a point.

First pick is always mine.

The first person/family to put a deposit has first pick of remaining puppies (providing there are not special orders etc). Then again it is to a point. If the puppy they pick is not suited to their lifestyle then I will steer them towards one that is. I work with a puppy buyers to match puppy to family.

If I don't have a puppy suitable, I won't sell the puppy to that family. If I don't feel comfortable about the person/family wanting one of my puppies, then I won't sell them one of my pups.

I don't believe in going "This is your puppy" (well at least so bluntly). They need to feel like they made a choice.

Given that Cav puppies are pretty social and temperment even and come in 4 colours, a lot is decided by colour and sex and then what suits the buyer.

Same goes for Pug puppies...they are either in your face or they are in your face :thumbsup: We also have very small litters compared to most so often puppy buyers get a choice of this one or that one.

Is this just for pet people? What if an experienced exhibitor wanted a pup to show, even if it's a different breed than they had shown before?

I would let them make their selection from the whole litter, then tell them if I am happy to let them have that puppy and show it. If it is going to be shown, both the owner and breeder have to be happy with the choice. Some people are good at showing but hopeless at picking puppies, so a lot of discussion is sometimes needed to come to an agreement.

I assess a fair few litters and have selected show puppies for others from litters and always ask to make a choice with no input from the breeder. Once a puppy is selected the next question is "is this one available to the person I am choosing for?". If it isn't and none of the rest of the litter make the grade, then you look for another litter. If there are two likely prospects then the buyer may be happy to take whichever one the breeder isn't keeping.

With pet people, I always match the puppy to the buyer but if there are two or three with similar temperaments, then first in gets to choose.

In regards to a show person/breeder picking. What they choose is often not what I would choose, so generally there has never been any issues or a case of wanting the same pup. I however do put aside what I want first and foremost, if I wasn't, why am I breeding? Show people/obedience people are next and I match up what I think is best for their needs, using their imput as best as I can. Pet people get what is remaining if there is anything left. They do not choose anything other an perhaps wanting a certain colour and/or gender. Many times however, they don't get that either and have to either take nothing or compromise. You would not believe the amount of people that will NOT take a dog of a certain colour and will go without...there is always someone else on the list that is happy to welcome a Pinscher into their world and can see beyond colour, and appreciate the dog for what it is.