Making A Trolley Cover

Andisa

I asked for some pics in the craft thread but no luck - should have asked here first. :hitself:

I am making up a show trolley cover for a 2 door trolley - so far it has been a marathon and the head ache that I have now makes me wish I wasn't such a tight arse and just buy one - however I have got this far...

Can someone please post some pics of their covers please :D

I was going to put zips along the side seems but used velcro instead. The ends have large pockets and I did muck up with the front panels so this one will most likely stay home and if I am silly enough I will do another one. Should be easier the 2nd time - yes?

Funny thing is I used to make heaps of clothes for the kids and I made the girls dresses when I got married, curtains for several homes but this friggen thing is doing my head in. It was even easier making bean bags than this thing..

So if someone can please post trolley cover pics I would be very thankful.

Love mine but its black & won't photograph well :). You are more than welcome to come & look at it when I next next show - July 16th is next show in Melb I think . . .

Thanks BD, yeah black would be hard to see in a pic, thanks anyway.

I went to visit a friend and checked hers out - looks easy enough but has zips on all corners and in the middle back and front - not sure I want to put 6 zips in a cover. Velcro has worked ok.

Hopefully the next one will be better, at least my first attempt fits, just might save it for home. :laugh:

Love mine but its black & won't photograph well :). You are more than welcome to come & look at it when I next next show - July 16th is next show in Melb I think . . .

I went to visit a friend and checked hers out - looks easy enough but has zips on all corners and in the middle back and front - not sure I want to put 6 zips in a cover. Velcro has worked ok.

Hopefully the next one will be better, at least my first attempt fits, just might save it for home. :laugh:

And when you get used to making them, we can all put our orders :laugh: ;)

And when you get used to making them, we can all put our orders :laugh: ;)

:rofl: not at this rate - haven't started on the 2nd one yet, hopefully the penny will drop soon and it will all make lots of sense. But I did pack the sewing machines away... :o

Don't forget to sew on sturdy tapes or tabs so that you can roll up and fasten independently any side that you want to open. You will want to sew the top tabs into the seam with the trolley top cover and the bottom tabs on the inside bottom of the panels. Want an extra headache? Have a detachable pocket and extra velcro on the inside of a panel, so that you can still have a pocket when that side is rolled up.

Or for simplicity have only wall panels and thread them with curtain stretch wire top and bottom. Won't need to be able to roll 'em up - just draw or undraw. Saves that contant washing of the top panel, too.

But if that's too easy you wanted to make your life more complicated you could pleat them :laugh:

I bought a BBQ cover for when it rains :laugh: ( from the $2 shop ) and use a nice quilt over it when im inside... im a cheapskate though, my Trolley is a large 4 berth that i had custom made have thought about making a cover on occasions but put it in the too hard basket every time :laugh:

I bought a BBQ cover for when it rains :

OMG what a great idea! I am going to steal that ok? lol

A waterproof (NOT) came with the trolley but its pretty horrid... the only water it keeps out is that rain that comes down on a sunny 40degrees outside. In fact Im suspicious it actually attracts rain and invites it in...

I made my own covers but I didnt get into sides, just 1 length and velcroed over the trolley top. I want to do diff colours so I can match suits, trolley cover, leads, etc.. BUT im so crafty i want more than just a plain one.. I had thougth about Xstitching pom heads on it... this of course before i ever made the first one... My one goes around the 3 sides and leaves all 4 doors open, i didnt want to cover it, when i should have thought YES i do.. lol.. but then i was thinking of matching curtains so i can match thier curtains to thier bed in it... OCD much? lol

I bought a BBQ cover for when it rains :

OMG what a great idea! I am going to steal that ok? lol

You can steal whatever you like its not like i will come over there and get it back :laugh:

My Niece also stole this idea but she uses the BBQ cover to go over the top of a puppy pen as a roof... but she has a Rabbit not puppies :laugh:

:thumbsup: I have 1 each for my 2 & 4 Berth Trollies....

Love them, mine has the zips in each corner and one down the middle front and back.....with pockets on the sides and a removable piece on top for after grooming.....both are waterproof

Was not worth the time or effort for me to make them for what I paid (not that I am handy with a sewing machine :laugh: )

A friend has the BBQ one for outside and cover the trollies when transporting, they are very good.... :)

Well - this will have to do for now.

I got this far days ago (not quite finished) but stuffed up on the front flaps and was going to extend them (this one will stay home once I make another one) so it doesn't matter about the front.

All up I spent around $30 but have enough to make another the same and one wrap around cover (sides only, no top) and attach velcro to fit it to the trolley. Once I get better I will make up a snazzy one.

A friend got one a few months ago and hers was only $45 - they are now $75. Just wish I bought one at the same time.

269762_243241765688865_100000091313049_1079435_4182617_n.jpg

I didn't allow for the things that holds the trolley closed so next one will be looser. Also need to repair broken handle (again).

269762_243241769022198_100000091313049_1079436_3467093_n.jpg

Velcro is not lined up, I marked it out on the trolley, next time I will measure it out properly.

269762_243241772355531_100000091313049_1079437_1096649_n.jpg

Edited by Andisa

• 2 months later...

I remember this thread from a while back and thought I'd post a pic of a trolley cover for a single berth I've just made:

With the fabric sides

IMG_1064.jpg

Fabric sides removed and silver shade mesh sides velcro'd on instead

IMG_1066.jpg

The front flap is shut with zippers. The rear and side panel is 1 piece that velcros on to the top and attaches via zippers to the front flaps. I used velcro so that I could interchange with the silver shade mesh cover I already had for the trolley. I will put a pocket on there somewhere - just haven't decided where yet.

Lessons learned - while the jacquard I used looks beautiful, the velcro does tend to snag on it a little, maybe a more robust fabric if I made another. Next time I'd also attach the sides via zippers rather than velcro (I'm pretty good at sewing zippers on using the zipper foot on my sewing machine