Turning Off The Heat

Fordogs

My puppies are 3 weeks old now and I still put the heater on at night even though they are in a draught free area and mum is still full on and sleeps with them most of the night, I am sure that they would be fine but on the other hand the last 3 nights have been below zero.

So I was wondering how long before you turn off the heat.

My puppies are 3 weeks old now and I still put the heater on at night even though they are in a draught free area and mum is still full on and sleeps with them most of the night, I am sure that they would be fine but on the other hand the last 3 nights have been below zero.

So I was wondering how long before you turn off the heat.

Most of my litters have been winter one's and I've left it on as long as 5 or 6 weeks.

Leave it on as long as necessary. Use a thermometer to check the temperature at floor level in the puppy room and then set your heater's thermostat to the temp that you want to maintain, so that it only comes on if the temp falls below what you want.

I had a litter in November 2009 that had the heater on for the first 3 weeks and then the weather went insanely hot and I had to run out and buy an airconditioner!

You can't pick it, you have to do whatever suits, forget the age of the pups.

Thanks, Just thought that I was being paranoid that's all. :)

My husband knows someone who breeds Whippets and he came home fuming :mad the other day because they simply leave the bitch and puppies in the shed with no heating at all.

Naturally he had quite a vent at them, :scold:

I would still leave it on - at that age, if they get hot they will move off the heat. You would be surprised when you get down on the floor that you can still feel air moving even in a draught free room. Sometimes it is the air coming under a closed door which can cause a draught.

We have had some lovely sunny days lately so the heater has been off and turned on again late in the afternoon as the sun starts to go down. My whelping area is just of the kitchen area and the room is solid brick and stays warm, that is as long as hubby doesn't leave the door open while he peaks in on the puppies. :scold: