Born With Natural Bob Tail?

Heidii

I have a natural born Bobtail GSD puppy born 3 weeks ago. Wonder where he fits in the scheme of things???

Perhaps I can sell him as an exotic breed and make a fortune :cooldance: :cooldance:

I feel sorry for whoever ends up owning that dog, because people are going to harass them something chronic - no-one will believe that it was natural :(

I have a natural born Bobtail GSD puppy born 3 weeks ago. Wonder where he fits in the scheme of things???

Perhaps I can sell him as an exotic breed and make a fortune :cooldance: :cooldance:

Hope the pup is ok otherwise besides his shorter tail.

What is his breeding? Be very interesting to see if it had occurred in the lines before

I am guessing and hoping you are joking about selling him as an exotic breed :)

That is a horrible thing to say and we all know that it is illegal to dock tails and why would one do such a thing??

YES OF COURSE I WAS JOKING !!!!!! His health is fine he has been health tested and he is already spoken for. My vet said that it was most likely just a fluke of nature, one of those things and not likely to his breeding.

It is always disappointing to have a bred a puppy that does NOT come up to the standard whether it something very minor or a major and I can think of far worse things that that can crop up in a litter. The fact that he has a short tail will not impede on his quality of life only that he will have a shorter tail to wag.

Edited by Fordogs

YES OF COURSE I WAS JOKING !!!!!! His health is fine he has been health tested and he is already spoken for. My vet said that it was most likely just a fluke of nature, one of those things and not likely to his breeding.

It is always disappointing to have a bred a puppy that does NOT come up to the standard whether it something very minor or a major and I can think of far worse things that that can crop up in a litter. The fact that he has a short tail will not impede on his quality of life only that he will have a shorter tail to wag.

That is great news that he is all ok. :)

Of course there are worse things that can happen when breeding

It certainly wont impede on his life, he will have a wiggle bum when he wags which i used to love watching on Rotts.

I feel sorry for whoever ends up owning that dog, because people are going to harass them something chronic - no-one will believe that it was natural :(

I get asked a fair bit about the lack of tails on three of my dogs, I just explain two were born like that and one was docked before the ban came in. I don't get harrassed at all, never have been, people just ask out of curiousity.

post-23314-0-93034600-1309060581_thumb.jpg

Cute as a button, at least he wont make a lot of noise whacking it against the wall like mine do lol. There was a GSD puppy sold on the puppy pages that had only a bit of a tail as well from a well known kennel, that was about 2 years ago. So maybe it is like when a white, blue or a panda pop up occiasionally

Yes, there is a Test to say if your dog is a NBT or has been docked,

I know of a few dogs of different breeds that were born with Bob tails, BUT i dont believe it is the true NBT Gene, i believe it comes from a faulty Gene and because of that all sorts of problems may crop up over time, one such dog that i knew of was sold on breeders terms as the breeder wanted in on the NBT gene after the ban BUT this bitch ended up having to be spayed and had a number of operations to correct problems internally later on ...

I get asked often about the dogs stumpy tails. Quite often people don't believe me when I say it's possible for dogs to be born with natural bobtails. They think I've made it up and the dogs are really docked. Some people don't ask and just give a few filthy looks.

I get asked often about the dogs stumpy tails. Quite often people don't believe me when I say it's possible for dogs to be born with natural bobtails. They think I've made it up and the dogs are really docked. Some people don't ask and just give a few filthy looks.

Yeah, I get the same.

It is there in the dobe gene pool but it is a recessive gene and extremely rare. If people in our breed would work together we could combine the existing dogs in Australia carrying this gene and perhaps the gene would become more common - though it is still a recessive gene.

There was an application to the NSW Canine made to use dobes & another breed to develop a new bob tailed dobe but it was rejected at ANKC level because of WA's vote against. I think it was the corgi or boxer they were looking at. Would have been far better to look at the Rottweiler imho.

There are some thoughts that the bob tail gene carries deformaties, I have seen one case of this myself - poor dog should have been pts at birth - he couldn't eat any solid food, couldn't digest properly, couldn't defecate without help etc etc. Yet this dog was used at stud numerous times because he was a natural bob tail. He had no tail, no anus & was missing part of his bowel - not what I would call a bob tail - but the gene was there.

Aust. Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs are born without a tail. You are able to DNA test a dog for the relevant gene. I have heard where Stumpy pups are born without the anus, and sometimes withered away from the waist back.

I would not call the dog above a natural bob tail, I would call it deformed and should have been PTS at birth.

I know of Aussie Shepherd breeders who dock the pups tail and tell people that it is natural.

For me the quickest way to determine if it is natural is there will be a tuft of hair growing on the tip.

I have heard about some other breeds with the bob tail gene, such as Corgis. If it is recessive it would be hard to continue the line?

Yeah, I get the same.

FYI Huga - the frenchie is not a natural bob tail, the shortened tail is as a result of deformed vertebrae (either block or hemi) in the tail section. You can't have a natural bob in a breed where a full length tail is not considered the norm.