Only A Dog Person Will Understand....

Zombie Bait

So I usually feed my 2 dogs on Royal Canin Giant breed Adult kibble.

A week ago, we were getting towards the end of the barrel so I sent OH down to City Farmers to pick up a new bag. They had none in stock but took an order from him and reassured him that it should be in stock within a week.

Fast forward to today when I was scraping the bottom of the barrel and realised we hadn't heard anything from City Farmers.

I called and was told that RC is having issues with getting stock into Australia due to customs? and they had no ETA for when RC Giant Adult would be in stock next. Thanked them and then called 10 different places over Brisbane to see if anyone had any RC Giant Adult in stock. No one did. Finally tracked down a bag in Mitchelton, so called OH to let him know. He was working in Goodna so was unable to pick it up. I work as a delivery driver on Fridays so I called my boss and asked her if it would be alright to pick it up whilst I was doing deliveries. Boss said not a prob, just be back by 3.30pm. So off I drove to Mitchelton and picked up the dog food. It was waaaay out of my way and added an hour onto my trip, but I was determined to get my dogs the food that they are used to and do well on.

The people that OH works with were astounded that we would go to such lengths to get the dogs a certain brand of food, saying "Just get some food at the supermarket, what does it matter if its different?". My OH was a bit put out and said you obviously aren't dog people :laugh:

Do you go to crazy lengths to get or do things for your dog?

I do this regularly :laugh: I recently went to no less than six different pet shops before I found the nail clippers I was happy with :o My OH just laughs it off, but I don't dare tell my non-doggy friends about such insanity :laugh:

Hmm, I am looking at switching kibble now ( from Raw), and due to the fact I don't have a car or a job have been considering ordering online. Thankfully my Mum now knows better than to ask me why I can't just grab a cheap brand from the Supermarket. She did once suggest I paid the $20 ( or what ever it is) for the 20-30 kilogram Coles brand kibble :eek:. I'm no expert on dog food ( in fact there is a lot I need to learn)..but even I know not that much.

What other crazy lengths? hmm...well, on MY birthday wish list there is a long leash, and a soft indoor crate--yep..that's what I want for my birthday. For Christmas I received a Nina Ottosson toy and it sent me into hysterics with happiness :laugh:.

Of course, all this pales in comparison to others. I know the Agility people get up pretty early, spend a fair amount of money for trials and have some long long days at trials.

Think this will be an interesting post to read :thumbsup:.

I joined a matchmaking service, but before I signed on the dotted line I ensured my matchmaker knew I could only date another dog person... Not someone who likes dogs, but a dogPERSON lol

:thumbsup: There IS a massive difference too!!! :thumbsup:

(My ex was a "yeah, I like dogs" sort, not the better sort ;) )

I joined a matchmaking service, but before I signed on the dotted line I ensured my matchmaker knew I could only date another dog person... Not someone who likes dogs, but a dogPERSON lol

Love this :laugh:

I have the most horrible rash on the front of my chest and couldn't work out where it I told a friend who is a nurse and very much a dog person and she was askign me 101 questions. I did admit that Flashy had been very snuggly on these cold nights but said that I was embarrassed saying that because it could have certain connotations which certainly arent' the case.

She thinks that maybe Flash has something on his fur that i'm allergic to and then proceeded to tell me that she sits on the floor everynight with her four rottweilers surrounding her all trying to sit on her :laugh:

only a dog person would understand.................

Dog people are certainly a different breed all of thier very own :laugh: I couldn't count the number of times that I have heard geez they are only dogs and similar lines.

I would hate to think what would happen to my four if all of a sudden I ran out of food and had to feed them a supermarket brand! :eek:

One of mine had to have a procedure one day and I said I may have needed the day off work (5 hour shift) and one of my idiot bosses at the time said oh for god sake just have the dog put to sleep. :mad She said it tounge in cheek but I was so wild I had steam coming out of my ears!

I do go to ridiculous lengths for my dogs but only dog people would understand!!

Well...so far so good ;)

I don't see what you did as going to crazy levels at all. Its what we do for our animals - had to do it for the cats to get there supplies of RC was OK with dog food. Drove around all the local petfood suppliers looking for food. Found a place that had a few 4kg bags of RC Maine Coon and Babycat and bought what they had - the guy that owned the place was shocked that I would buy that much food at one time (have to tell you MC's eat lots of food especially growing kittens and we have a litter here at the moment). Given RC's problems I took what I could when I had the oppurtunity and a friend is bringing a couple of breeder bags down from Qld with her which will hopefully get us through.

Edited by Mags

I don't see what you did as going to crazy levels at all. Its what we do for our animals - had to do it for the cats to get there supplies of RC was OK with dog food. Drove around all the local petfood suppliers looking for food. Found a place that had a few 4kg bags of RC Maine Coon and Babycat and bought what they had - the guy that owned the place was shocked that I would buy that much food at one time (have to tell you MC's eat lots of food especially growing kittens and we have a litter here at the moment). Given RC's problems I took what I could when I had the oppurtunity and a friend is bringing a couple of breeder bags down from Qld with her which will hopefully get us through.

Im now scouring online to try and get some more as its the only kibble that I can find that is huge (so they actually chew) and works well for them. I didnt think it was crazy at all either but you know what some people are like. Supermarket food, dog is stuck in backyard its whole life etc. My OH's business partner has a large x breed dog that is supposedly a PITA to wash, so he hasnt given him a bath in forever and he stinks. OH suggested a dog wash person and the business partner was like "oh yeah, I didnt think of that". Some people just either have no idea or dont care :shrug:

Bloody kibble. :laugh:

I can completely relate. Which is why I switched to a brand that was much more accessible. ;)

I'm pretty conscious of minimizing my crazy dog lady tendencies, my family & close friends don't understand.

Yet I recognise another random dog person immediately and can have a half hour conversation with a complete stranger about dogs. :o

Ollie has cancer and I have a credit card just for him

When he was having chemo I upped the lit to $10,000 to help cover the cost. The limit has since been dropped to a much more manageable level as he does not need that much anymore.

Everyone in my family thought I was crazy

RL there is a breed specific Rottweiler food that is HUGE kibble. Not sure who makes it though.

Thanks Ams - will try and get some more of the RC but if it doesnt pan out I will start researching large kibbles.....the things we do :laugh:

RL there is a breed specific Rottweiler food that is HUGE kibble. Not sure who makes it though.

Thanks Ams - will try and get some more of the RC but if it doesnt pan out I will start researching large kibbles.....the things we do :laugh:

Was talking to the RC rep today, import problems look to be mostly fixed... but they are having trouble with the Giant breed foods. RC does a Rottie food.