Puppy Wont Poo On Grass?

shelleys_email

Hi,

We got our new puppy 3 days ago and have a few questions about toilet training. For some reason he will only poo on concrete, we put him on the grass and he does a wee, but walks off onto the concrete to do a poo. Any suggestions on how to get him to do both on the grass? We were also a bit confused about what to do overnight as we don't want to encourage him to cry at night but weren't sure if we should go to him to take him out to the toilet. He is currently spending nights in our back room.

Thanks for any suggestions, Shelley

I have a 5 month old lab. We have got out girl weeing on the grass by comand and she never does a poo anywhere else except for her small grassed toilet area (only about 2.5 m square) you basically need to watch your pup constantly. The minute he looks like he is going to pee or poo somewhere other than where you want him to, pick him up put him on the grass and praise... Also we gave treats. Even if he is still in the process or peeing or pick him up and put him where you want! after food, play, drink, nap everything. I think we were taking our girl at least once an hour. As for night time, we have her in the laundry. She cried a little bit but we completely ignored her. It's really hard because you want to go and get them but if you don't say a word or make him feel like barking or crying will get attention he will eventually stop. We didn't get up in the night for toileting. We had to clean up pee for about 5 weeks in the morning (not fun but better than the alternative of waking up at 3 or 4). But now she holds it all night and doesn't make a sound. It is tiring and frustrating but if you are persistent she will get there :-) I'm definitely far from an expert but this is what has worked for me and Olive.

Goodluck with it all!

Congratulations on your new puppy :D

Your puppy may have toileted on concrete when he was with the breeder as he may have spent time in a kennel. So he is just doing what he is use to. As Olivebaby said, watch you puppy and when he is about to go, pick him up and move her to the grass and then praise her. She will eventually tiolet in the grass.

For night time I can definetly recommend getting a crate for him to sleep. If you do this you will need to train your puppy to be in the crate. I have followed training by Susan Garrett - there is a DVD called crate games. Easy to teach and excellent results. However your puppy will be will not be able to spend a full night in the crate without having to be taken out to the toilet for a few weeks. My girl could last the night from about 13 weeks.

If you don't want to go with a crate pick a place, like you have, for your puppy to sleep. If you puppy cries you need to ignore him. Usually they will cry for a short time and then settle. However if you puppy is getting very distressed I would presonally let them sleep in the bedroom - only for a few night though. To help this process, have a play with puppy before bedtime to wear him out!

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely take them on board. We did talk about getting a crate but in the end decided to do without, although might reconsider if things don't improve :) I wish it would stop raining because neither of us like going out into the wet grass lol We've only had him here for 2 full days so I think I'm expecting a bit much from him, I'm sure he'll pick it up soon :)

Exactly, 2 days is nothing. I don't use a crate and personally don't see it would have any advantages for my situation because she is confined at night and is an angel during the day. She spends the day in the lounge with no accidents, no chewing etc. But we do spend a lot of time with her so maybe that has something to do with it. I guess if your not home much and don't trust your dog alone a crate would be a very good idea! :-)

I would not panic yet - toilet training takes time. Unforteuntly my puppy when she was 11 weeks old fractured her leg and had surgery, so she had to be contained. This threw tiolet training out the window. So we are now having to start from stratch. I am not looking forward to it.

It you have thought about crate training - I would say do it. I have several dogs, but have only crate trained my younger dogs - I wish I had done this with all my dogs. Anyone who does it will tell you to do it. It is so handy. Sometimes you just want to put your dog away for some quiet time, but best of all if saves alot of stress if you go somewhere. Out for the day, stay at someones house with your dog, camping. Also if puppy sleeps in the crate at night, it wont be long until he last the whole night without toileting - they will not go in the crate.

personally I have always set my alarm for the middle of the night to take a puppy out to the toilet. For the 1st week I would get up and take them out twice a night. I don't agree with making them toilet in their sleeping space.

Crates have the advantage of being a small space where the dog is not likely to want to toilet in.

Put the crate next to your bed and you should hear your puppy move around/scratch cry to get out if he needs to go to the toilet.

That way you can get up if you need to, but you don't have to wake a happily sleeping puppy.

My dog no longer sleeps in her crate now that she is toilet trained, but it does come in handy if you want to compete or travel with your dog.

personally I have always set my alarm for the middle of the night to take a puppy out to the toilet. For the 1st week I would get up and take them out twice a night. I don't agree with making them toilet in their sleeping space.

Yep, I'm with you. I use exactly the same method as you. as I don't agree with them toilet in their sleeping space either, just sending them very mixed messages I reckon,

they certainly wouldn't toilet there if they had a choice as they are very, very clean by nature in general. Sure it is a pain, setting alarms & getting up but the rewards

are well worth it. I only had 6 maybe( No.1) accidents in our home through the whole toilet training thing, from about 16 weeks old on. Good as gold. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Crates have the advantage of being a small space where the dog is not likely to want to toilet in.

Put the crate next to your bed and you should hear your puppy move around/scratch cry to get out if he needs to go to the toilet.

That way you can get up if you need to, but you don't have to wake a happily sleeping puppy.

don't use a crate if you are not prepared to get up for your pup. I used the alarm system cause I didn't want the pup to get the idea that crying would get it out. Crate was in the bedroom as well.

Maybe the grass tickles her bum. Is it long ?

It may be better for her to use the concrete if you are fussy about your grass. It goes brown & dies if the dog keeps peeing on it.

If it is long anything could be hiding in it too, especially in heatwaves. Concrete is easier to poop scoop & scrub clean. Maybe not helpful. I hate grass. Can you tell ?