No! Not Another Card!

redangel

I have just become the owner of another broken sdhc card.

I have a d90 which I have been very satisfied with, bar one thing....I seem to break cards. The corner opposite the cut corner edge (if that makes sense) keeps breaking off. The first time it took forever to get the piece out of the card bay. The second card thankfully broke after I removed from the card load bay. This one a lexar 8gb card, not even 6 months old broke off,in the same place in the camera card bay. I remove the card from the camera to d/l and put into a reader. Then back to the camera. In pretty much use my camera daily. Is this the lifespan one would expect from a card??? At this rate I think Ill research cameras with a different card type. The last card cost me $70.00.

If this is normal, well so be it. I just want to know if it is normal.

Edited by redangel

sorry, no, not normal. I have several types of cards from three or four manufacturers that take routine abuse and use daily (or almost daily) and I've never broken one. Some of my cards are several years old. I do the same as you - into camera, out of camera, into card reader, out of card reader, into camera, repeat...

:(

The upside is that SD cards are dirt cheap now :thumbsup:

I am the same as Kja, my cards are not exxy ones, just ebay and the likes, cheapies really. used and abused in and out of the camera all the time and never a worry. Wonder if it is a D90 specific problem, it might be getting caught inside the camera making it week??

sorry, no, not normal. I have several types of cards from three or four manufacturers that take routine abuse and use daily (or almost daily) and I've never broken one. Some of my cards are several years old. I do the same as you - into camera, out of camera, into card reader, out of card reader, into camera, repeat...

:(

The upside is that SD cards are dirt cheap now :thumbsup:

As it is always the corner with the lock slider...could it be caused by a misalignment of the contact strips in the camera bay??? Has anyone heard of this before?? Recommended repairers???

Bought my D90 on about the day of release, feels like forever - never had this happen with hard use and quite a few makes of SD cards. Must be a reason - I'd be taking it to Shutter Box in Toorak, he is an amazing repair shop, reasonable charge not a rip-off. Think he has moved from the Toorak Road shop and is just around the corner. Google should find him.