Choosing Our Next Dog

Zug Zug

Thinking ahead, and trying to determine what kind of pup to get next. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.

My 18 yo daughter and I are in deep discussion about the wisest choice for our next dog (to keep Zamba company now that Mozart has passed on, and also for me to take to obedience training).

I've had my heart set on a Standard Poodle. I really love them. I am nearly 40 and I think now is the time. If I wait until I'm 50, I might never get one. I have also had Minis before and love them (but now I would love a Standard I think). I also really like the look of the Lagottos I've seen.

My daughter is reminding me that Standard Poodles are very high energy dogs and there are days when I come home from work and just want to blob on the couch (this is true) and don't feel like walking a dog (yep, I have days like that). I work full-time, but very close to home and sometimes come home for lunch etc.

But I do go to obedience training classes twice a week (Sundays when I'm an instructor then a student, and Wednesday nights when I'm just a student). Occasionally I miss a class on Wednesday nights, but Sunday's I'm always there.

Then the other days, I sometimes walk the dogs, sometimes I don't. Maybe 2-3 other long walks each week, each of them somewhere between 40 minutes to an hour of vigorous walking and some fetching the ball at the local park and some training. I also like walking at the beach but do that less often. Avoid the local dog park like the plague (too complicated). So there are probably around 2 days each week where there isn't a long walk happening.

We still hang out lots together on those days though. I always have them inside with me when I'm home, so lots of companionship around the house and some playing and goofing around and training etc. My daughter will generally do the same. My husband not so much - he likes the dogs but generally speaking likes his peace and quiet more.

Question is - is that enough exercise/attention for a Standard Poodle? Or should we be thinking about another Mini Poodle? Or a Lagotto? (I love all these breeds, but I have to admit I really have my heart set on a Standard but if I really can't make one happy, then I need to acknowledge that...)

I know that with Zamba, if I don't exercise her enough she tends to get herself into some kind of mischief. It's her way of reminding me she needs to WORK and I'd better not forget it! She has always been pretty wired, but maybe a Standard Poodle would be even more so (I'm not sure).

So the question is to those of you who have had Standards, and also to those of you who have had Miniatures or Lagottos. Is that enough exercise do you think? Or would we need to be committing to more than that to keep a new dog happy?

Edited by Zug Zug

Think BIG, with the standard everything is upsized simple as that. So more costly to feed to medicate, more space required in the house the car in your life. Grooming changes as well, more time more work. They take longer to dry to clip etc.. or simply take to the groomer but that will also cost more. As long as you are aware of this a standard is an excellent choice.

I have a mini and toys and there is the same difference, to that of the mini and std, the toys take less.

All poodles are a fun life loving breed, it's important to choose one with a great temperament, from healthy parents.

The Lagotto is a truffle dog, as such they can REALLY DIG and dig and dig. So how is the garden, but remember that is what they were bred for, but they are also great dogs.

Be aware of the health issue in all the breeds you are thinking of, make sure the parents are both healthy and have good temperaments, do as much background research as you can.

Thanks Quoll. I do my own grooming so yes the extra grooming time will impact on me directly.

Hmm. I hadn't thought about the digging with the Lagotto. We have a big garden that isn't a study in perfection by any means. But I would be worried if the dog was digging OUT of the garden (as opposed to digging holes IN the garden).

I think if you have always wanted a Standard Poodle then I think you should go for it

Disclaimer- have never owned a poodle. I have however lived with breeds that 'need a lot of exercise' but when it comes down to it they need companionship more. One of my kelpies has not been walked for 3mths because I have had an ankle reconstruction. He doesnt care because I have spent more time cuddling him!! I have had to do more training with him at home to burn off the energy but he has not become destructive because of the lack of exercise.

I would suggest emailing some Standard breeders and see what they say. When I sold my Kelpie pups I was actually more interested in them being allowed in the house of an evening (at least) than I was about big back yards or them getting hours of exercise each day.

My biggest concern would be how a smaller dog would cope with a standard poodle pup. If u wouldn't want to own a big gundog puppy, don't get a standard poodle. I don't find them much like the smaller poodles and it's a big step up to meet the exercise needs of one imo

Hi Zug Zug :wave: Now you KNOW I'm going to go for the Standard Poodle :laugh: . OK - they do take more time grooming but, as far as exercise is concerned. I've been a Standard Poodle owner for over 30 years &, really, they don't need a lot of exercise - the puppies can be bouncy & have lots of energy but when they get a bit older they become real couch potatoes. You should see the 2 boys I have now (you saw their daughter & sister) - they have their little patch of ground to run & play but mostly they like to be inside schmoozing & they are not fat or unhealthy-looking at all.

I agree with Poodlefan I'm afraid, I don't know if now is the right time to go getting a much bigger dog when you have a very frail old one. Not great for either dog - the oldie wants to sleep and the young one wants to play. I'm sure we'll soon see the "my puppy livened up my old dog" thoughts shortly but i always liken it to expecting an 80 yr old to live in harmony with a toddler.

No harm in waiting, there's lots of things you can do in the meantime to keep everyone happy ...

I do know a lot of people with Std poodles who alos have small dogs, I don't see this as a worry as long as there is supervision. Any large dog can harm a small dog, be in in a clumsy play or possibly over resources. You need to be aware of the size difference, most standards I have met have been pretty nice dogs. That is the importance of temperament, in any dog. But the larger the dog the more important the temperament becomes. My thoughts only.

Thanks for your replies. Lots to think about.

Zamba is a poodle x of some kind (originally from the pound so we're not sure of her precise origins). More poodle than anything else. She is bigger than a Mini, but certainly nothing like the size of an average Standard. She is approx 12.5 years old, but still very fit and fast on her feet. She was always pretty hyperactive. She is slowing down a bit, but can still out-run a kelpie when we visit my friend's farm.

We do have a very large yard - over 1,000 square metres. Zamba enjoys it by running around intermittently, but does spend a lot of her time under the pergola. Just having the bigger yard doesn't provide enough exercise - I need to exercise her outside the yard as well.

Is a standard more active than a kelpie? I've had kelpies before. I grew up with a Whippet cross (with a German Shepherd we think). She was active, but in a light-footed kind of way (she was a great dog). Not active in the same way a kelpie is active - they seem more driven, if you know what I mean.

What about barking?

Are there big differences in how much these breeds tend to bark?

Or is that so variable by individual that perhaps it is a silly question to ask...

Oops sorry dogmad I didn't describe her very well did I? Zamba was born tough - Mozart was my frail oldie. I don't know why, but Zamba never seems to get sick. The occasional upset tummy, once she broke her tail. She can be a bit mentally unpredictable at times (she gets separation anxiety sometimes, for example, although is adjusting surprisingly well to Mozart's death which is a relief) but physically I think she must be made of steel. Touch wood.

Physically, she is not frail. I am a worrier, so I can understand why people might think she is frail because I'm probably a bit protective (over-protective perhaps?). Especially over the past week. But that's about her mental state - nothing to be concerned about physically at this stage.

Here she is (to give you an idea of her size):

post-29106-0-81327100-1308653558_thumb.jpg post-29106-0-10830100-1308653599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zug Zug

Kelpies are a working dog and a particularly active breed, as are most working like the BC and the ACD.

Toy poodles are the noisy bratts LOL I have to watch mine but it can be controlled.

Plain barking is mostly due to boredoom ( providing there isn't an obvious reason ) keep the dog exercised mentally stimulated well fed and healthy and in theory barking is at a minimum.

but there are some dogs who do bark too eazily it can happen and this is when the citronella collars can help.

I have a standard poodle and I don't consider her a difficult dog to own. She can be a bit ditzy, but is sweet and just wants to be near us. She is quite happy curled up on the couch, loves a walk, but if it is missed, she copes well. Enjoys the car, but does not like it when the kids stay at school. Loves attention from anyone and everyone and is quite regal. Her name is Ceredwen, we call her Dwin, and everyone that knows her calls her dwinny. She is liked by all who know her. No one is scared of her, she is great around kids and adults alike and good with other animals. Likes to chase our cats and really wants to eat our lizards, or lick them or something. She was an active pupppy, but all puppies are active. Basically she is a delight. The only reason we are not getting another standard as our next dog, is the cost of grooming two standards. When she dies I think we will get another standard we really have been happy with her as a dog and standard poodles as a breed. She does not tend to be a dig. Basically for us she has near been the perfect dog.

The issue with a standard poodle pup is that it's going to dwarf your existing dog very quickly. The risk of your older dog being tormented or injured by a playful pup is real. This can be managed but separation while you're at work will be essential form at least a while. A larger, younger dog will also require separate exercise. This is all doable but will mean extra work.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks poodlefan. I'll give that some thought. Zamba is pretty tough but I guess I've generally been comparing her to Mozart, and he really was super-soft.

Would you say the same if she was a 5 year old Miniature Poodle? Just trying to work out if it is her size or her age that is the main thing...?

Edited by Zug Zug

Thanks poodlefan. I'll give that some thought. Zamba is pretty tough but I guess I've generally been comparing her to Mozart, and he really was super-soft.

Would you say the same if she was a 5 year old Miniature Poodle? Just trying to work out if it is her size or her age that is the main thing...?

I'm not sure it's a combination I'd try. I found adding a whippet was enough for me and I have to actively manage my smaller dogs around my friends big gundogs.

None of the issues I've highlighted is a show stopper but I think it's easier to add a small pup to a house with a big dog than vice versa. I'd hate to see you end up with a friend of mine frustrated like crazy with her big young dog squishing her littlies when he gets excited. It's not the dogs fault :(

Edited by poodlefan

My neighbour's dog gets into my place - she's an Aussie Shepherd aged 4, she can jump on the kitchen benches (and does) and runs around like a mad thing. It really is too much for my oldies and they are all active for their age! Youngest is 11 and the oldest is 18.5 yrs old. They vary in weight from 3.6 to 12 kilos. None of them would like a bigger breed puppy for company ... for much longer than it takes for them to be bumped and chewed on. They all play beautifully with each other though.

If you are not able to go for a good run or long walk every day stay away from the standards. They are a highly intelligent very active breed that require a lot of mental stimulation to be truly happy. The mini's are no where near as demanding when it comes to exercise and a good ball game and some training sessions each day will keep them happy if they get a walk a few times a week.

The toys I have found actually need more exercise and mental stimulation than the mini's and will quickly become noisy and difficult to manage in the wrong environment.

I would also consider the prey drive on any of the size poodles, they can be very high and if you have a smaller dog (if your looking into the standard) they can quickly become the target.

Of course all this can be individual but I have found the above traits are quite common amongst the three sizes.