Oh No :-(

Olivebaby

I ordered $120 worth of treats from Australian pet treat company. The pictures showed small bite sized pieces, perfect for training! But they are huge and chewy and don't break!!! So now a 15 minute training session will probably take over an hour because my little girl is taking so long to eat them. That sucks :-( first and last time I buy online.

I ordered $120 worth of treats from Australian pet treat company. The pictures showed small bite sized pieces, perfect for training! But they are huge and chewy and don't break!!! So now a 15 minute training session will probably take over an hour because my little girl is taking so long to eat them. That sucks :-( first and last time I buy online.

find something else to use and your training should be a couple of minutes at a time. Short and sharp, not dragged out over 15 minutes or an hour. Pups get bored very quickly

Can you cut them with something. When my guys have raw hide treats but I don't give them a whle one I cut them in half, well Hubby does, he uses the scissors on the thunner ones and some kind of tool from the shed for the tough ones.

I don't use any kind of heard treats for training, I use liver, cheese, deli meat (ham, chicken straz etc) sausage, left overs roast, corn beef and such. I always use soft stuff as it is easier for them to get down in a second and keep training going swiftly.

Yes good idea. I figured they would be small and soft but not really, I had to use my teeth hahaha. So will probably chop them as much as possible as I ordered heaps and don't want them to go to waste! I use cheese and liver treats as well. Havnt tried sausage but I'm sure Olive will be grateful for your suggestion :-)

She is 5 months old and seems to be handling a 10-15 minute training session ok. She does get distracted after that so we stop and play. I just read off her and if she is interested we keep going, if not its play time :-)

I find that all commercially made treats are too big for training small dogs/puppies. Even the 'mini' ones are huge. So I usually get cat treats or the crispy type that breaks apart, or I use human food cut into the size I want (like kabana, cheese etc)

Yes good idea. I figured they would be small and soft but not really, I had to use my teeth hahaha. So will probably chop them as much as possible as I ordered heaps and don't want them to go to waste! I use cheese and liver treats as well. Havnt tried sausage but I'm sure Olive will be grateful for your suggestion :-)

She is 5 months old and seems to be handling a 10-15 minute training session ok. She does get distracted after that so we stop and play. I just read off her and if she is interested we keep going, if not its play time :-)

What did you buy?

I like the "delight's" range for training. They are soft and I cut them into even smaller pieces.

The yogurt drops are the smallest of them all. I bought lamb nibbles and chicken delights or something like that. I can cut these up but was just hoping for a no hassel treat option. The lamb ones could be cut with a knife but still too chewy. And I bought A kg of each. The meat ones are huge! I got biscuits and dental bones and other bits and pieces but was hoping to use the rest for training but that won't be possible. They seem to be very very chewy. Dju I wouldn't buy any that I have just mentioned. They would be better for a before bed snack def not for training! Olive isn't complaining at all though. She thinks they are fabulous!

I have another great idea for treats, from another thread. Good O dog food. I break one price (a ring) into 6 small pieces. Great size and easy to chew for a puppy! All my dogs love them!! I also use cheese, sausage and kabana, but it is good to have some others treat on hand so you can save the good treats for more challenging training.

Save the chewy treats for keeping her occupied (Kongs, crate training, winding down before bed, after training, etc). If you store them in an airtight container they will last you ages.

For training you want treats to be very small, smelly and soft. And if you're clicker/marker training you'll want to be able to reward rapidly without pup choking or becoming distracted by chewing up the treat. Things like Chicken Chunkers and 4Paws are good for ready made no hassel treats.

Yogurt drops are great for keeping on top of the crate (in a sandwich bag) or in you pocket too :)

pre-cut cabanossi all the way!!!!

- it is cheaper than most equivalent weight dog treats (a $3.99 packet will last me around 4-5 days, even longer if I bother to quarter the slices).

You can cut into quarters if you want really tiny pieced too- if you're concerned about weight or cost.

I (well, Mindy does) also like twiggy sticks.

Edited by aussielover

Thanks sheena. I just had a look at their website. What size did you receive. I can't justify spending more money on treats right now but when I can will definitely order some. Looks like you get 10% off if you refer The product to someone so will let you know when I order so you can get the discount :-)

Thanks sheena. I just had a look at their website. What size did you receive. I can't justify spending more money on treats right now but when I can will definitely order some. Looks like you get 10% off if you refer The product to someone so will let you know when I order so you can get the discount :-)

I bought 500g of the mixed treats & they are just the right size. I think I will order a couple of kilos next time...just have to save up. Both my dogs love them & being dried, they are easy to put in one's pocket without making a mess. I mix them half & half with Black Hawk to make them go further.

I get these http://www.australianpettreatcompany.com.au/c/258415/1/semi-moist-beef-temptations.html

from Australian Pet Treat Co. They are about 3.5cm long and about 1.5 wide. They are soft and easily torn into smaller pieces or chopped up. I can usually cut them into about 8 or 10 small pieces. These have always been a big hit when I'm training with big and little dogs! They come in chicken and lamb too. They do dry out and get harder over time but when they arrive they are quite soft.

Edited by Jigsaw