Whale Watching

wagsalot

:laugh: the bloke in the boat looks like he might be on the phone. "nah mate, nothing here, it's dead today"

When I zoomed in on the photo, it actually looks like he's drinking a stubby of beer!

I thought the same thing too, wagsalot. :laugh:

I went again on Sunday - there was alot more whales but this time they were further out - too far for my camera.

I nearly booked myself on the whale watching cruise, but pulled out as I was worried Id get sick. I wish I went though, as I saw the boat out there and they would of seen heaps of whales.

Wags, go out if you can. There are two main whale watching boats that leave the Quay twice a day. I have a friend who races (yachts) most weekends and she has seen whales just past Sydney heads recently. Try and go on the morning cruise before all the other boats get out there. I get seasick too, but if I take a tablet I'm ok.

That pelagic seabird/whale trip I went on, we went over 2 hours way out to the open ocean where you couldn't see land anymore. I felt seasick, even though I made sure I was on the most stable part of the boat, standing up and looking at the horizon as we sped along, so one of the marine biologists on board gave me a tablet and and I felt so much better. We spent most of the day out there and on the way back the south-westerlies picked up and there was a bit of slop and chop. I went to bed that night feeling like I was rolling over the waves on that boat. :laugh:

You don't know when/where the whales are going to breach and when they do breach, it is very quickly over with. This is another one from the Sydney whale watching boat last year.

original.jpg

I prefer sunny conditions so long as you aren't shooting into the sun. This was taken in foggy, overcast conditions in NZ - sperm whale

original.jpg

I've been suffering with quite bad morning sickness so Id be feeling fairly rubbish before I even got on the boat :laugh:

Im thinking next year I will go out, but this year I will have to make do with watching from the shore.

Geez they are wonderful pics Ripley.

I was talking to my son yesterday, he has been going to Hill 60 at Port Kembla to watch the Whales.Its behind the pool.

Thats were my dad used to take me when I was a kid, to see the whales come up the coast.

One of my dreams is to go and see some Albatross, I would like to go to that place in NZ where there is a colony. Or better still go down to the ice.

I have never seen an albatross.

Have seen lots of whales off Coolum, doing back flips and tail slaps, they were out a long way, but you could still hear and see them.