Making Weird/coughing Noises

luffy4688

Bailey's been making weird noises. He's sort of making a coughing/choking sound, like he's trying to throw up something he shouldn't have swallowed. He's done that occasionally in the past, and each time he's vomited something out.

Now here's where it's weird, he's been doing it every 15-45 minutes for the past 6-8 hours or so without actually coughing up anything. Should I be worried?

He's still his usual self.

I've included to short clips with the noise below.

th_MVI_8393.jpg

th_MVI_8394.jpg

what you are describing sounds like kennel cough

Get some benedryl and give that to him every 4-6 hours

Take him to the vet if he gets worse as it is the secondary infection that will need antibiotics

He may not get one though

And dont take him or the other dogs anywhere until they have recovered.

Edited by Flaves

what you are describing sounds like kennel cough

Get some benedryl and give that to him every 4-6 hours

Take him to the vet if he gets worse as it is the secondary infection that will need antibiotics

He may not get one though

And dont take him or the other dogs anywhere until they have recovered.

Any idea where do I source some benedryl?

How much should I be feeding him?

Anyone have any idea how long would it take him to recover?

Sorry for the influx of questions. embarrass.gif Bailey's my 1st dog and it's the 1st time he's sick since I got him at 8 weeks. And it's his 2nd birthday in 3 days. frown.gif

Edited by luffy4688

Thank you for the thread poodlemum.

Couple of questions.

1. How much benedryl should I be feeding him each time?

2. I'm assuming it's common sense to avoid contact with other dogs, but is it okay for a leashed walk? Or should that be avoided as well?

if you walk him quietly on a harness that's fine ... collars are not a good idea- as they press right on the area of the trachea which is inflamed- and cause extra coughing :(

Running/excitement is also not a good plan- as the more he gets excited , the more he may cough.

get a dosage for the cough mix from your vet in teh morning - just to be safe. the vet knows your dog . We don't.

So: My suggestions are -

keep him comfortable and warm... (not hot)

feed him as per normal ...

contact your vet in the morning for advice or to make an appointment .

:)

I give my guys the following:

JRT 7kg 5mls every 4-6hours

GSD - 36kg 10-15ml -every 4-6hrs

I dont take mine to the vet unless the develop other symptoms as the vet will usually put them on antis even if they dont need them :) My choice and i am not saying not to take them to the vet

If you do take them to the vet, tell the vet that you suspect kennel cough as they may choose to see your dog in the carpark or get you to go in another door so as not to go through the general waiting room.

As for walks, i dont when mine have KC - i dont take them anywhere outside my yard as i dont think it is fair to risk spreading it.

I also keep them in the yard until they are clear of coughing for at least 2 weeks. Again my choice :)

It could also be early signs of Tick poisoning...............

Or he could have chewed a stick and scratched the back of his throat.............

Keep an eye out for any other unusual signs too

If your positive that he hasn't swallowed anything unusual then its probably Kennel Cough.

Just like humans its that time of year for flu like syptoms.

I give my guys whom are 7-8kgs about 4mls of benadryl every couple of hours, especialy right before bed time

so they can try to get some sleep.

Ask the chemist if you can purchase a syringe when you buy the syrup, mention it is for a dog.

BB

you may get asked a few questions when buying the benadryl

(to get it where i am its behind the counter as it can be used to make drugs or something and i get hit with 21 questions every time)

just say its for your dog... will probably get looked at like you have 2 heads and say the vet suggested it.....

upside is its great for your own coughing too and doesnt taste too bad! :)

He may have something stuck in his throat or even between his teeth. Have you looked in his mouth and down his throat?

If he is still doing it...a vet check would be better than getting a diagnosis via a website. ;)

He may have something stuck in his throat or even between his teeth. Have you looked in his mouth and down his throat?

If he is still doing it...a vet check would be better than getting a diagnosis via a website. ;)

Amen to that. No point giving Benedryl to a dog with tick poisoning or a punctured soft palate. Take the dog to the vet.

Thanks for the advices given so far guys.

Just an update. I have not tried benedryl on him. I've just been giving him some manuka honey mixed with water every 5-6 hours since yesterday. It seems to be helping as I haven't heard a cough from him yet today.

I've checked in between his teeth, there's nothing there. Not sure if how to check down his throat though.

If he starts coughing again, he'll be off to the vet asap.

In the meantime, he's going to be quarantined at home. Pretty sure he's not going to like it. laugh.gif

Edited by luffy4688