What To Use For Dental Hygiene

Our dogs vomit after nearly every different bone they're given. If they don't vomit they get constipation or the runs. I've tried lamb shanks, kangaroo tails, turkey necks, marrow bones and others that I don't know the name of. I now only give them chicken frames or necks, but Angel's teeth are getting a bad build up on them. I know there are other people here that don't feed bones for the same reason. What do you use to keep their teeth clean?

I feel your pain as one of mine always chucks up bones too. I just give chicken wings/frames frozen as that seems to help him keep them down. Thankfully his teeth aren't too bad.

Edit: I also give him smaller chunks of marrow bone - not cut down the middle like most butchers do - just sliced straight across. I make sure he doesn't get the ends as he will eat them and throw them up, but he doesn't actually ingest any bone from the middle. Not as good as meaty bones for the teeth but I make sure he gets the bits with sinew on the outside so he has to actually work at them.

Edited by wuffles

We give our dogs beef neckbones from Coles with plenty of beef still left on them. As our 8 dogs are medium sized dogs, the bones cut in half are really good. After having a dog nearly choke on the last small bit of brisket bone once, and the fact that there is always someone who throws up afterwards we hadn't given them bones for a long time, and their teeth were shocking, but over the past few months they have been having these 1/2 size meaty beef neck bones with fantastic results, the bones are hard and they can't chew much off them, but it is doing wonders for their teeth. I wish we had started it a lot sooner.

Have you considered one of the sprays/gels such as PetzLife?

They are a blend of oils that work by softening any tartar so that it becomes soft enough to be removed through the normal process of eating

http://www.petzlife.com/catalog/oral-care-products/oral-care-gel-peppermint.html

Here is a list of retailers

http://www.petzlife.com/retailers/retailers/australia.php

get yourself a stainless steel scraper and do it yourself. I will have to start doing my dogue his teeth just cannot get cleaned properly no matter what he eats because of the mouth shape

Perhaps try turkey necks, ask your pet food supply shop. My pet food shop gets them in from a distributer who buys them direct from Ingams in North Qld. They are human food-grade and there is 14kg in the box.

Our dogs vomit after nearly every different bone they're given. If they don't vomit they get constipation or the runs. I've tried lamb shanks, kangaroo tails, turkey necks, marrow bones and others that I don't know the name of. I now only give them chicken frames or necks, but Angel's teeth are getting a bad build up on them. I know there are other people here that don't feed bones for the same reason. What do you use to keep their teeth clean?

If I cannot get hold of bones for my dogs, I brush their teeth. It takes a while to get them used to it, but patience will get you there. Maybe start with a toothbrush from the pet shop which you can slip over your finger (but be careful not to get bitten ;)) and use a special dog toothpaste (no human toothpaste!) and let your dogs check out the brush with a bit of toothpaste on it. This way they get used to the feeling of the brush. Next lift their lips and gently brush a tooth, just from the outside is fine. If your dogs are a bit like mine, you will experience tongues everywhere :). So do not get frustrated, just do every day a bit and eventually they will learn what you are doing. The reward is the taste of the toothpaste.

Good luck!

The vet told me bones alone are not enough for teeth cleaning. Like others have said toothbrush (dog one) on it's own or the doggy toothpaste. I use both for my guys.

Sway- a member on DOL also sells them (deer antlers).

Unfortunately I have not been able to get my dog to eat them, and she is a food obsessed lab!

Brushing their teeth would be best.

I prefer to feed bones everyday (my dog is on a raw diet anyway) but if i couldn't then I would use rawhide chews, greenies, roo chews etc.

Edited by aussielover

My dog loves denta stix and also greenies, which I would highly recommend. Their website isn't working for me today, so here's an alternative one just in case: http://www.pookinuk.com.au/greenies.html

I brush my dog's teeth too - I find it to be easiest with a little finger brush like this (however my dog is a toy poodle, so perhaps it's different for your guys!):

800443084106C.jpg