Black Hawk Puppy Or Adult?

Hi was hoping for some advice. I have a 19 week old lab pup on royal canin. I am going to try out the black hawk in a week or so (just waiting until te stockpile of RC decreases a little) and I am wondering whether to try the puppy kibble or go straight to the adult one. Puppy formula can cause rapid growth right? So that's my concern with using the puppy but I am not sure if there would be any adverse effects with putting her on the adult as she isn't even 5 months yet :-S any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

Hi was hoping for some advice. I have a 19 week old lab pup on royal canin. I am going to try out the black hawk in a week or so (just waiting until te stockpile of RC decreases a little) and I am wondering whether to try the puppy kibble or go straight to the adult one. Puppy formula can cause rapid growth right? So that's my concern with using the puppy but I am not sure if there would be any adverse effects with putting her on the adult as she isn't even 5 months yet :-S any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

I put my BC puppy onto the adult (as advised) when I got him at the age of 11 weeks. It says on the packet to give them twice the adult amount going by their weight.

Guest english.ivy

I put my Pointer pup straight on adult, Wendy just told me to double the amount. He seems to have grown just dandy.

Hi, I asked the same thing in the Black Hawk thread (some where in the many pages :D ) and was generally advised to go on the adult straight away. I was going to... BUT at the last moment when ordering it I asked for the puppy, because since I only have the one dog I figured it was more economical just to get the puppy rather than feeding double of the adult. I had a quick look into it and from what I could see the puppy just has more protein (a few different ingredients), though if someone more knowledgeable can correct me please do! So I figured no harm in using the puppy formula while he is still growing.

Regardless pup is fine on it so far though has only been on a week... big improvement in firmness of poos, other than that the same as he was on Advance (shiny coat, energetic etc. Unless I can blame a sudden spurt of digging on BH :laugh: )

ETA... just thought also though, my pup will be smaller than a lab so rapid growth isn't quite as much of a concern, and also maybe consider whether the breeder said to keep your pup on a puppy formula until a certain time? (not sure if the royal canin you are feeding is a puppy/growth type)

Edited by ad44

Guest english.ivy

I prefer the ingredients in adult formula, add more protein by mixing mince or yoghurt etc for calcium, and double the amount for pup with the adult formula.

This is what I did. I also just started adding Livamol to their diet.

Cottage cheese is also great for puppies, added fat and protien they may not get enough of with the adult formula. Saying that, I'm out of cottage cheese so I need to get more! It's also awesome on toast for the humans :laugh: