Dog Eating Too Fast

giraffez

Try 3 or 4 metal egg rings in the bowl with the food. It worked on our pup.

No chance of getting swallowed and it still gives them enough of an obstacle to slow down around. As they slow down, you can progressively remove one ring at a time and eventually the dog is eating at a slower pace without any obstacle.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Dxenion

Try 3 or 4 metal egg rings. It worked on our pup.

No chance of getting swallowed and it still gives them enough of an obstacle to slow down around. As they slow down, you can progressively remove one ring at a time and eventually the dog is eating at a slower pace without any obstacle.

I ended up getting a Go-slow bowl today

http://www.dogtipper.com/products/2011/02/dogit-go-slow-anti-gulping-dog-dish-review.html

It slowed him down definitely and its funny watching him for the first 30 seconds unable to get anything out of the bowl because he was rushing it :rofl: . He worked out to slow down quite quickly. Takes him about 3-4 times the amount of time he usually takes and for the very very first time, his big brother finished dinner before him! :rofl:

I'm still skeptical whether he is spending the time to chew. Still think he is just swallowing. :confused:

EDIT: i wasn't looking for any particular brand of slow feeder bowls, the shop only had this one. Just noticed its the same one as the user "Online Pets" recommended in post #6. If anyone is thinking of getting this, its quite sturdy and has a bit of weight which is good because the bowl doesn't move around like it used to. I think need a couple more meals in it to know whether its really good. Watch this space, will post my observations. Not too expensive either considering the ones I saw at other stores - around $14 for the small size and I think $20 for the big.

Edited by giraffez

Try 3 or 4 metal egg rings in the bowl with the food. It worked on our pup.

Edited for clarity.

Tried the egg ring thing a few times while waiting for my 'Eat Better' bowl to arrive, Miss Stella took one look at her dinner bowl, looked up at me like :rolleyes:

& proceeded to remove both egg rings from her dinner bowl before inhaling her tea. :rofl::smartiepants:

Worth a try though. Lucky I didn't try the golf balls in her dinner as some else suggested, she probably would have thrown them at me. :laugh: Hopefully her new bowl will arrive soon.

Edited by BC Crazy

I accidentally discovered a way to both clean the floor and slow Zsa Zsa down. Last night, I was mixing two dry foods together as I am changing her diet from the brand she was on at the shelter to a premium dry food. During this process, I spilled a stack of it all over the kitchen floor. After being granted permission, she went to work on picking it all up. It certainly slowed her down as she had to not only pick it up piece by piece as it was finely spread over a large area, but also find it, as it was in different areas of the kitchen. :laugh:

i monitored my dog with the go slow food bowl. It does slow him down but i think his "i want to eat as fast as i can" drive is still there. He doesn't take a breather at any time unlike the dog in the go slow video, he will just eat away until he is done.