Sugar Ants In My Dogs Food/water

Thurston

Our family have just become the proud owners of a 5 year old Maltese, who has been blind since birth. We have had him for three weeks and his other senses are amazing. We sometimes wonder if hr really is blind. Anyway, It is important that his food and water bowl are always kept in the same place so he can find them. We keep one outside near his kennel and one in the laundry near his mat where he sleeps on cold nights. BOTH containers are contaminated with sugar ants. Millions of them. I have looked at ant rid products and they al read they are unsafe for animals to consume. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I've had this problem before - and have successfully used either outdoor insect surface spray - or ant spray to great effect. Of course, you need to move the bowls etc. while you spray and keep the dog away until dry - but this offers protection for quite a while. I usually spray a no go zone of a metre around the bowls etc. If you see a return of the ants - it just means it's time to spray again.

Guest RosieFT

I used an 'ant proof'bowl successfully and have passed it on to my mum to use as she was having problems with ants. It is basically a bowl with a moat around the edge that you keep filled with water.