Dogs On A University Campus

stonecutter

Our vet campus doesn't allow those living on campus to own dogs but bringing pets along isn't really a big deal, most of the uni staff have their pets on capus, and they often get used for teaching handling pracs.

Oh wow, I think I need to transfer to your school (except that I hopefully only have 5 months of this left!)

Our vet campus doesn't allow those living on campus to own dogs but bringing pets along isn't really a big deal, most of the uni staff have their pets on capus, and they often get used for teaching handling pracs.

Oh wow, I think I need to transfer to your school (except that I hopefully only have 5 months of this left!)

You're at Massey right?

We had Mark Owen give us some guest lectures and he was totally shocked that people brought their pet dogs into lectures!

Hmmm - I've just combed through the OH&S policies and they don't say anything specific - but I've sent them an email to find out. Thanks all :thumbsup:

UTS was one of the universities that I googled. UTS has a Contractors On Site manual in which it says they can't bring pets onto UTS property (excepting guide dogs). I wonder if this links with a general OH & S regulation for all, students & staff, too.

[PDF] CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTOR'S SITE EHS MANUAL

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

23 Oct 2010 ... UTS is currently implementing its City Campus Master Plan, a massive overhaul of the campus involving ... Bring pets onto UTS property (unless guide dogs). .... Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 2001; ...

www.fmu.uts.edu.au/.../OHS.M.4.1_Construction_Contractors_Site_EHS_ Manual.pdf

Edited by mita

You're at Massey right?

We had Mark Owen give us some guest lectures and he was totally shocked that people brought their pet dogs into lectures!

Tee hee, yup.

I often see dogs around campus at my uni (Canterbury, in New Zealand)... one of my philosophy lecturers used to bring her puppy to ethics classes and use her as a discussion point. I have seen a man bringing his Irish Wolfhound into the cafe too, though I think everyone was too shocked at the size of him to say anything. There is a public road running through the middle of our university with a river and lots of trees, so there are often people walking dogs through there. I have not seen students walking dogs through the buildings though, except for the service dogs, and I am sure that if someone was walking a dog around inside the buildings that they would be asked to leave- but there are no signs saying that dogs aren't allowed.

Well, we have just said goodbye to our friend Jan a horticulturist who lived and worked on CDU campus with firstly Gypsy a GSD and of more recent times her new GSD Kodiak 'Kodi' for short. Jan never had any problems at all, but then this is Darwin!

annie

I often see dogs around campus at my uni (Canterbury, in New Zealand)...

I never saw any dogs there in my days :(

I loved walking down beside the creek from the Student Union around to the Law School - especially in autumn. Eve more off topic - hope it all made it through the quake ok.

Ah yes, but there's the rule and then there's the question of whether or not anyone is motivated to enforce it. I spent two years going to classes and doing lab work at Univ. of Calif Santa Barbara and brought a Lab with me every day. Sometimes she hung out when I went into buildings. I was younger then, wouldn't do it now. Dogs weren't allowed on campus, but there were lots of dog lovers around and there were many more important rules to enforce.

As one of the examiners on my PhD committee told me (about a different matter): "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Seems that the DOLer who said it'd be an issue relating to Workplace Health & Safety is right.

I quickly googled using that term & found at least 2 universities' list of WH & S rules which specifically say that no dogs are allowed on campus. Exception being the service dogs used by people with disabilities (the words of one uni).

Ah yes, but there's the rule and then there's the question of whether or not anyone is motivated to enforce it. I spent two years going to classes and doing lab work at Univ. of Calif Santa Barbara and brought a Lab with me every day. Sometimes she hung out when I went into buildings. I was younger then, wouldn't do it now. Dogs weren't allowed on campus, but there were lots of dog lovers around and there were many more important rules to enforce.

As one of the examiners on my PhD committee told me (about a different matter): "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Seems that the DOLer who said it'd be an issue relating to Workplace Health & Safety is right.

I quickly googled using that term & found at least 2 universities' list of WH & S rules which specifically say that no dogs are allowed on campus. Exception being the service dogs used by people with disabilities (the words of one uni).

A fair point, sandgrubber. It seems that the OP's university has Occupational Health & Safety rules that contractors must not bring in pets as they're not allowed on campus. But the OP couldn't see any signs at the entrance. So in that case there was no motivation to publicly inform people about any ban.

I love your examiner's quote. :) It's like what an acquaintance of ours says, 'I always go to places twice. The second time to apologise!'

I would have thought it would depends on the uni. I'm studying at Macquarie and I have seen people walking their dogs on campus, so I'm guessing its not against the rules there. But I have also studied on another campus which kept a lot of livestock and other animals so understandably, they were not happy with having people bring dogs on campus.