Sighthound Anaesthetic ?

Ive done a quick search for the correct anaesthetic to use on sighthounds, but I think I might be having a senior moment and I cant find it :o . Running out of time now too..

Just wondering what the name of the Anaesthetic is that SHOULD be used and also the name of the one/s that we need to avoid ???

TIA :)

Alfaxan, extensively proven as the safest in sighthounds.

Where did you get this info from? just wondering if I can quote it in my exam answers etc :D

Alfaxalone is a good induction drug and has no known contradinications as yet so it wouldn't surprise me, but it is relatively new.

However the safest anaeathetic depends on a number of factors including the patient's condition at the time, what drugs the anaesthetist has experienc with and what they are confident with.

But propofol and alfaxalone are the favoured induction drugs in healthy patients these days with a lot of vets.

sighthounds also don't respond well / metabolise ACP, so a sighthound premed would ideally not contain it.

Alfaxan all the way for induction anaesthesia here.

fifi

efs

Edited by fifi

I worked for Jurox, if you ring either Sarah or Amelia, the Sydney reps they can get you a copy of the study.

It was published in one of the technical updates 2 years ago. Or if you just ring Jurox and ask for Dr Brad O'Hagan I'm sure he would be happy to email/ fax it to you.

Edit, Alfaxan celebrated its 10 year anniversary last year I think, so relatively not that new, but most vets started off just using it in cats.

Interestingly I work with veterinary stem cells extracted from fat, and the viability of the cells is really compromised when Thio has been used. Why vets still use it is beyond me, cheap and nasty stuff, and now what I have seen what it does at a cellular level I wonder if animals given Thio heal slower than those given a non barbituate. Might be hard to measure in an observation sense, but obvious at the cellular level.

Edited by Inevitablue

I worked for Jurox, if you ring either Sarah or Amelia, the Sydney reps they can get you a copy of the study.

It was published in one of the technical updates 2 years ago. Or if you just ring Jurox and ask for Dr Brad O'Hagan I'm sure he would be happy to email/ fax it to you.

Edit, Alfaxan celebrated its 10 year anniversary last year I think, so relatively not that new, but most vets started off just using it in cats.

Interestingly I work with veterinary stem cells extracted from fat, and the viability of the cells is really compromised when Thio has been used. Why vets still use it is beyond me, cheap and nasty stuff, and now what I have seen what it does at a cellular level I wonder if animals given Thio heal slower than those given a non barbituate. Might be hard to measure in an observation sense, but obvious at the cellular level.

Thanks for that :)

Thanks for the input :thumbsup: ...

So just so I have this absolutely correct...

# Definately NOT Thiopentane.

# NO ACP in the premed.

# Either Alfaxan or Propofol for surgery.

Is this correct ???

Just to say that this is for a 12 month old, slightly overweight Basenji bitch to be spayed :) ...

For the few dollars extra, I'd use the Alfaxan. I'm happy to have Prop in my dogs, but if I had a sighthound I'd insist on Alfaxan :)

As for premed, there are better people on here to answer that. My suggestion would be Diazepam instead of ACP, but happy to be stood corrected

Diazepam should not be used as a sole sedative in healthy animals.

You could use ketamine/diazepam combo or zoletil or medetomidine (domitor, reversible) as a pre med if you dont want to use ACP.

I quite like ACP + Morphine/methadone combo for a spey as I think they are quite painful, but medetomidine also has analgesic properties so would be ok in a healhty patient.

If unwell then ketamine/diazepam might be a better choice or diazepam/morphine.

Rajacadoo, no thio for sighthounds. As for which other induction agent is best to use, it is impossible to give a blanket recommendation as it depends on a couple of things. All anaesthetic agents have different adverse effects - they are basically controlled poisoning of the central nervous system, they can also depress the respiratory system, and affect the liver, kidneys and cardiovascular system in different ways. Animals with different health conditions may therefore benefit from different anaesthetic agents. But most importantly, the anaesthetic agent that a vet or tech is most familiar with is often the safest. My (very knowledgeable) anaesthesia lecturer has a favourite saying: "there are no safe anaesthetic agents, and no safe anaesthetic protocols. There are only safe anaesthetists".