Gsp Owners

Hey there GSP owners/lovers.

I will be looking to purchase another pup in a year or so - I know still a while yet but I want to be prepared.

Please give me the pros and cons on owning/training a GSP - it will be a pet / not interested in showing. And will have by the time I get him a 2 - 2.5yr old Lab to learn (hopefully good) habits from.

I really love the look of the breed - have experience with a gun dog (although only 1 years worth) and I'm really thinking I'd like to own a GSP or another Lab. We live in an active household where exercise twice a day is the norm and we have a large backyard.

Cheers,

Fatso.

Firstly good on you for doing your research upfront!

GSP's are amazing dogs,they should come with a warning though, its really hard to stop at one! We have three, they are very smart and can be very challenging. During the puppy stage they can be very destructive if not given enough stimulation! They are a dog that needs to be part of the family, they are not a breed that does well being a back yard pet left to their own devices.

Given the appropriate amount of training and exercise they are incredibly loyal and smart dog and a fantastic member of the family. We have three (one is a rescue two we have had from pups) and they are fabulous with cats, horses, kids, babies and well everything except birds. They can be very boisterous and it does take them a while to grow up (I have doubts that one of mine ever will :laugh:) but they will entertain you with their antics and they really do have a willingness to please.

Exercise twice a day would be perfect for this breed, they also do well at lots of the dog sports available. You should come join the GSP thread in the breed sub forum!

Edit to fix embarrassing typo!

Edited by Dust Angel

Given the appropriate amount of training and exercise they are incredibly loyal and smart dog and a fantastic member of the family. We have three (one is a rescue two we have had from pups) and they are fabulous with cats, horses, kids, babies and well everything except birds. They can be very boisterous and it does take them a while to grow up (I have doubts that one of mine ever will :laugh:) but they will entertain you with their antics and they really do have a willingness to please.

Thanks for the reply - they sound very similar to a lab puppy then - though we have spoken to one owner and she thinks they may be just a little more work.

As for being part of the family - that goes without question. Boonie is only an outside in the backyard dog when we are at work otherwise he's lording it around the house -see attached pic as an example of him lording it up on 'his' lounge.

post-39143-0-81222200-1307412378_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply - they sound very similar to a lab puppy then - though we have spoken to one owner and she thinks they may be just a little more work.

My first dog was a very active Labrador (a choccie too :)). He was a lot of work, but I have found my GSP to be more work. They are even higher energy and are higher strung, not as laid back as Labradors generally are (once mature). My GSP however is no where near as destructive as my Lab was, but that could have a lot to do with some knowledge and prevention :)

GSPs are smart dogs that want to please and are quick learners. They really do need an outlet both physically and mentally to be happy. My vet recently commented on Polo that it was so nice to see a 'happy' GSP who has the right outlets for his breed, rather than the frustrated dogs she sees that verge on hyperactive :( Obedience, agility, tracking are all great for the breed but nothing beats the enjoyment they get out of field and retrieving work IMO, doing what they were bred to do. Not to say that GSPs can't be happy if they don't 'hunt', just be aware they need something.

Sometimes having a look at what they are bred for can also give you an idea of their energy levels and needs. GSP are a breed that does it all, so what they need might differ to the Labrador, who may have the same or similar energy levels, but a completely different way of satisfying them.

Sometimes having a look at what they are bred for can also give you an idea of their energy levels and needs. GSP are a breed that does it all, so what they need might differ to the Labrador, who may have the same or similar energy levels, but a completely different way of satisfying them.

Really that's what I'm getting at or asking for - our household suits a Lab down to a tee - but geez I love the look of a GSP and my thinking was that they are gundogs (although Pointers and not Flushers) and would be quite similar to owning a Lab. I'm all for being told differently and will obviously only get a GSP if we can offer what it needs.

Inactivitey will never be a problem in our household - we are pretty active people so I'm pretty sure we can handle 'energetic' dogs.

I really just want a list of pitfalls that I may not think of - I'd like to fully aware of everything and given that we're at least a year away before getting one I can start to judge whether what we do in our life suits a GSP or whether there's stuff we can start doing (I'm all for starting new routines/activities).

Plus we have an existing Lab - I hope with all my might he is with us for a very long time to come - I'm also hoping that GSPs and Labs are/were known to like each others company.

Biggest pitfall of the GSP extremely needy & clingy,very much velcro dogs that can drive you insane.

A Lab is a walk in the park in comparison .The puppy stage is no different than most breeds but it adulthood that GSP can be a handful if not taught independence & the rules .I now the rules part applies to all dogs but GSP seem to be more comfy in knowing the rules,expectations than say other breeds.

The do look great but certainly there a breed for those who truly appreciate there pitfalls & work hard as youngsters to educate them well

I am a GSP lover.

I've walked and looked after a fair few as well, they are high energy dogs, higher energy than the average lab.

If your lab is a laid back relaxed one then a GSP might be a bit of a shock for you.

My lab is pretty high energy and gets on well with GSPs. They aren't as into the rough and tumble as labs but prefer running and chasing games.

If you have an active household and lifestyle a GSP could be ideal for you.

They require as much, if not more training (as a puppy) as a lab.

GSPs are on my list of dogs to own one day :thumbsup:

Fatso where abouts are you? If you are in Brissie you are more than welcome to meet my two and see what you'd be in for in the flesh so to speak..

Hi kathq,

I am in Brissie - Northside (Wooloowin). I'd be very interested in a playdate/meet. If you don't mind an excitable Lab also coming along?

Cheers,

Fatso