Bye Miss Ricky

Little Gifts

I thought I'd be able to be as strong as you always were and recall all the funny stories about you or remember the time you stayed by my side when I had an accident and couldn't call for help or the night when we had a home invasion and you protected me from harm. But despite having you for almost 16 years out of the almost 17 you lived all I can still focus on is whether I did enough. You were old and you had your issues but I still can't move on from wondering whether I could've made more adjustments for you and kept you with us just that bit longer.

The whole house is very empty without you. My sister and I keep looking for you and calling you, forgetting you are gone. The other dogs are just moping around like they don't know where you went. I put all your stuff away last weekend but it seems like it is still there where it has always been.

We stayed with you while you went and I felt it was the right decision then but as the days move on I feel sadder and am not so sure the timing was right. I've only just been able to look at the pics we took of you the last morning doing doggy paintings (pics below) and you look so alive and happy.

You were riddled with very serious ailments but you were the toughest dog I have ever known and never gave up. I feel like maybe I did and that you deserved better given all you have done for me over so many years. I'm missing far more than I expected. There is just sadness that you no longer get to experience a sunny day, a good rub down or a home made biscuit. All things you loved in your old age. I hope you are happy wherever you are now, playing up a storm, licking to your heart's content and never, ever again having to visit the vet.

Love you tough girl - you and I have a lot of shared memories.

XXX

post-33739-0-24564900-1307356894_thumb.jpg

post-33739-0-62216600-1307356915_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone. I didn't realise I would take it this hard given Rick was never a smoochy/cuddly type of dog that I could fuss over. But she and I have a long history together which has bonded us in a special way. My sister bought me this beautiful heart shaped dish that is covered in angel wings and I have put her tag and some other mementos in it. The small painting she did has been mounted on a little easel and is with me at work while the big painting is part of a collage of three now in our lounge room. Ricky is buried in the back yard on top of her son who passed away 3.5 years ago now. I can't plant a tree there but I am happy she is safe there. I also did a big spend up on some collars and leashes for some rescue groups across three states and kind of did it as her legacy given Ricky was a temp care dog who just never left.

She lives on in your heart, P.S. and what a kind thing to do to donate the collars and leads to help others in her memory. It is so hard to do the final act of kindness, hope the sadness gets a little easier as the days go on.